Search

DETROIT'S BEAUTIFUL SIDE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DETROIT'S BEAUTIFUL SIDE

HI --

So I never wanted to travel to Detroit for work but it became part of my territory. Turns out I really enjoy going there: friendly people, history, amazing architecture, etc. The city is such a Story.

I've uploaded three posts in my series:

- Beautiful Ruins: I find the dilapidated buildings fascinating
- The Heidelberg Project: A must-see. My co-worker and I visited the day the Obstruction of Justice House burned down. I may own the last photo of it
- A review of The Henry hotel. Overlooked Dearborn, Michigan is home to one of the best boutique hotels in the country

I hope you enjoy the posts and find the information valuable.

http://www.esmetravels.com/category/...t-travel-blog/

-esme
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 09:41 AM

Lovely photos! My dad is from Dearborn, and several years ago, we went back there. My favorite was the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield village.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:08 AM

I thought sure this was going to be a post about Windsor, Ontario.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:07 PM

Great report and photos. It is always nice to hear others say nice things about Detroit.

There is a local company called D:Hive that offers various tours of Detroit. I took one last fall and saw The Heidelberg Project for the first time and I live only about 10 miles north of Detroit.

On your next visit be sure to see the Guardian Building on Griswold. The lobby is breathtaking.

Neo, I am going to guest that you have not been to Windsor in a while. It is not so beautiful anymore.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 03:22 PM

No but I have been to Detroit fairly recently. While there is always something worthwhile in any city, beautiful and Detroit are two words I'd have a hard time using in one sentence. Sorry.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

tenthumbs and gardendiva: thank you. I'm back in Dearborn/Detroit this week and I do have a large break in one of my days so I will try to see the Henry Ford (I drive by it all the time), Guardian Building and Griswold.

Michigan Central Station is also really cool, but my photos were awful.

NeoPatrick: I totally laid that one-liner up for you.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 02:12 AM

Wow, how cool. Thanks for posting. I have never been to Detroit but have always been intrigued with the idea of the Motown.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 11:23 AM

I have known a few people that have ventured into Michigan Central Station for photos and just to look around. On said that the building was not finished past a certain floor. I do not remember the number. However, on the unfinished floors there are stacks of tile that never got layed. They are still in the builiding because they are too heavy to carry down the stairs.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

There were other people taking photos of Michigan Central Station when I was there but a large iron gate separated us from going inside.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 01:36 PM

<beautiful and Detroit are two words I'd have a hard time using in one sentence.>
Really? You must not have gone to the art museum.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 02:39 PM

OK, fair enough, NewbE, I'll use the two words in a sentence:
Ugly Detroit has a beautiful art museum.

Actually there are a number of beautiful things there, and while Dearborn and other suburbs are great, they aren't really Detroit.
It's just that it's very hard for me to think of Detroit itself being beautiful these days (and yes, I know that wasn't exactly the point of the original post). That saddens me, because I loved it when I lived there back in the late 60's despite the horrible riots then.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 04:06 PM

Esme_Travels, yes, you really are not suppose to go into the train station but many will do anything for their art. A client hosts a photography group and they went inside. On the way out they were stopped by the police. Only the last person out was ticketed for trespassing because they were the only one the police saw on the inside of the fence. Personally, who knows what or who lives in there so it could be very risky.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

gardendiva: Talked to my favorite bartender at The Henry tonight: her husband is a photographer and has gone inside the train station. She said it's amazing.

New find today: Ollie's in Dearborn for lunch. Need to come on a weekend to visit Eastern Market and also have to check-out the Art Institute before the city sells all the art.

Great app if you like abandoned buildings: Abandoned. They list approximately 20 Detroit locations and I'm hoping to see the Woodward Avenue Presbyterian Church tomorrow, as well as the old Michigan Theatre and the places recommended by posters above.

If I don't post here again, call Detroit Metro.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 11:56 PM

I enjoyed your report on such a less-visited area. Thanks for writing it. Loved your pictures!
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 03:14 PM

Someone else will find you before the Detroit police respond to our call.

The DIA's assets are in a charitable trust so the City will not be selling off the art. Wait until there is a special exhibit. On Fridays they have live music in the Diego atrium and the whole museum is open until 9
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

gardendiva: Too late! I had an hour and ran through it. I need to return when I have time -- very impressive. I usually fly home on Friday during the day. I could see hanging out at the Kresge Court, though, in between meetings.

Travelgirl2: Thank you!

The Woodward Avenue Presbyterian Church is boarded up, but you can tell from the outside how cool it could be from the inside. I stopped at the Fisher Theatre (there's street parking right outside the door) and took a quick peek inside: amazing ceilings!
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Matthew Christopher has amazing photos of abandoned buildings on his site: http://www.abandonedamerica.us/business-and-industry
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 04:23 PM

Eastern Market is open on Tuesdays until sometime in October I believe. Definitely head over there for lunch!
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi kelliebellie: I've heard that I need to go to Eastern Market from quite a few people but I thought it was open only on Saturdays. Thank you for that information -- I'll be back in September.

I believe the famous Supino's pizza is in the area and I know I need to try it, but I just always go to Sala Thai. Fast service, nice atmosphere, consistently good food.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Amazing Detroit photos by Philip Jarmain via The Culture Trip:

http://theculturetrip.com/north-amer...ecadent-decay/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -