Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Destination: UC Santa Cruz! Help with Hotels and Restaurants Plz!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my daughter on a tour of UC Santa Cruz. I am hoping that she likes it up there! I know it is a good college and would love to pay in-state tuition..haha! We are from Huntington Beach down south. I need help from the locals on where to stay, where to eat and what to do?
thanks!
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 08:35 AM

My daughter graduated from UCSC in 05...she LOVED it. If fact, she's still there teaching at a non-profit for autistic children and getting her master's in Special Ed. I, too, LOVE Santa Cruz. I wish I could live there but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I have to live over the hill in Santa Clara to make my dime.

Anyway, then (while she was in school) and now (because I visit with her almost every Sunday) I have had meals in several restaurants in Santa Cruz. A few of our favorites (we do not do fancy meals) are: Taqueria Vallarta at 1101 Pacific Ave. (no table service) Mexican with EXCELLENT burritos), Golden City (for Chinese) on Mission (this is between the exit of 17 at Hwy 9 and Bay Street (the entrance street to the campus) and Chocolate downtown on Pacific (for great light meals and wonderful hot chocolate drinks).

What to do? Take a walk down Pacific. Great little shops and a bite to eat. The Boardwalk...let your hair down and hop on the rollar coaster with your daughter. If you are there on a Friday evening, they have bands playing. Walk on the beach. Wander down the wharf.

If you feel the need to leave the area, go south a bit to the village of Capitola. Wonder the streets and have lunch of dinner.

Lodging: I've never had to spend the night as I live just 30 minutes away. The nicest lodging on the beach is the Coast Santa Cruz...a bit pricey. If you don't feel the need to stay on the beach there is a very nice hotel on Mission near campus but the name escapes me..I do believe it just may be The Mission Inn.

Hope this helps. When my daughter began her search for colleges I took her all over CA starting from San Diego on up. We even did the Ivy's on the east coast. She kept telling me, "Mom, although I love traveling around with you (she has the travel bug also), I KNOW I want to go to Santa Cruz." Now she lives there wiht her dog, her cat, her organic garden (oh, and her boyfriend) and considers herself a real Santa Cruzian.

Wishing you and your daughter happy hunting.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 11:12 AM

I live in Santa Cruz so it's hard to give you lodging ideas because I've never needed lodging in my hometown. I do know that the Hilton in Scotts Valley is pretty good and not too far from campus The Dream Inn aka West Coast Santa Cruz is on the beach, but considered overpriced and a little shabby.
In Aptos about 7 miles south is the Seacliff Inn, it's very nice and open.

Downtown Santa Cruz has a ton of restaurants. Some of our favorites are:
On Pacific Ave, El Palomar, Mexican
Aqua Bleu, Pacific Rim
Pizza My Heart, pizza
Kianti's Italian.
My favorite restaurant on that side of town is Vaslili's on Mission Street for wonderful Greek food. Another favorite is The Royal Taj on Soquel Ave. for Indian food.
You might want to spend some time in Capitola Village or a day at the beach.A stop at Gayle's bakery for picnic supplies would be fun. Gayle's is up from the Village on Capitola Ave.
If you are here during Shakespear Santa Cruz you should try to attend. It's held on campus and is very popular.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 12:19 PM

El Palomar also has a Taqueria connected which is a really good/ low cost option. Also connected is the Santa Cruz Coffee roasting company, if you are a coffee addict like me. Zoccoli's is a good deli/ gourmet food shop that I like. We are also fans of Gabriella's cafe: http://gabriellacafe.com/
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 12:21 PM

The Sea and Sand Inn gets very reviews. It is next to the Coast Santa Cruz, so is at the beach. All of the rooms have Views.

If you want to be nearer campus the Mission Inn is the name of the hotel mentioned by Tray.

Where Highway 17 and Highway 1 cross there are four motels, A Super 8, A Best Western, A Comfort Inn, and across the street a Hampton Inn. The Comfort Inn is built back away from the street. It is easy to get on Highway 1 from this location, which is named Mission Street in town and the way towards the University, which is, however, up on a hill.

As glimmer2 says, Pacific Avenue has a lot of restaurants, many of them with sidewalk tables. In addition to the ones mentioned, Rosie McCann's Irish Pub has good food, and is upstairs overlooking the tree-lined street.

Take some time to walk around the campus. There are paths in the woods between buildings, some of which go over bridges spanning ravines. One such walk goes between the complex where the bookstore is over to the library.

Have a fun trip.

Old Jul 6th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks everyone for such great tips! I am printing out all this wonderful information and taking it with me.