Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

destination suggestions for a girls 3 day weekend

Oct 1st, 2007, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Hey folks,

My college roommate has two free airline tickets to use before December 1st and invited me to go along to ?????? We only have 3 days Thur - Sun so travelling to CA is out. We'll be leaving from the eastcoast (boston and washington, d.c.).

Between the two of us, we've spent a lot of time in Chicago, NY, Dallas, Atlanta and New Orleans. We're looking for a fun city to with good restaurants, some culture and relaxation. We're both in our 40's she's a single high powered attorney and I'm married with 2 kids so we're just looking to get away and catch up.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions maybe Nashville, Toronto, San Antonio???

Thanks
Oct 1st, 2007, 05:42 PM

Charleston, Savannah, and Asheville sound about right to me, with the edge going to Charleston
Oct 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM

Charleston would be a hands down winner for me.
Oct 1st, 2007, 05:57 PM

I'd pick Charleston first and maybe Quebec second. Look for Go Travels Charleston report!!
Oct 1st, 2007, 06:19 PM

Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC?
Oct 1st, 2007, 06:24 PM

If you like an urban atmosphere, consider Montreal. We just returned from a long weekend there and loved the food, shopping and ambience. They have some excellent boutique hotels there as well. And you can practice your French in the safety of a place where most people graciously switch to English when your efforts run aground. As mine inevitably did.
Oct 1st, 2007, 06:32 PM

Charleston ! Heading there myself with a girlfriend next week ! Spend as little time in the air and traveling and more time on the ground ! Amazing restaurants, plantations, museums, great artchitecture, cooking classes, shopping shopping and shopping -

although for you from boston, getting to Charleston might take as long as a direct flight to somewhere else - you have to change planes in Charlotte and you have to leave time for that because the last 4 times I flew thru Charlotte I missed my connection and had to take the next available -so this time I'm leaving from my friends from nyc on a direct.... just something to think about -

Oct 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM
dmlove

Charleston is a wonderful small city - great walking, sightseeing, wonderful shopping and restaurants. And you have just about the right amount of time to do it justice!

Oct 1st, 2007, 08:39 PM

I'd second Montreal. A few years ago, a friend of mine and one of her girl friends spent three days in Nashville and loved it. They did the same for New Orleans last year and loved that, too.
Oct 1st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have been to Montreal and Quebec and absolutely loved both. Had I not been to those cities Montreal would have definitely been my first choice.

It looks like Charleston has a lot of support. I am going to check into that. Thanks again and any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:05 AM

Here is a great thread on Charleston with many links to hotels, etc that a respected board member did viewing many hotels, restaurants, etc

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34567869

and one from my previous short trip, as you can see I used many of her suggestions also -

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...=1&tid=3470526

if you go, you will love it - have fun!
Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:07 AM

sorry, the second link was wrong;
should be:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34705265
Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:25 AM

Regarding Montreal or Toronto - keep in mind that you will now have to have a passport to fly into Toronto or Montreal from the US in case you don't have one. You can still drive in - until January, I think - using a birth certificate.

My vote would be Charleston, SC!
Oct 2nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I'm surprised at the overwhelming responses for Charleston. Thanks escargot, I appreciate the links and also to all those who responded.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:29 PM

skiobx... Austin or San Antonio would be excellent choice.

San Antonio's Riverwalk is a very relaxing place to hang for food and drink. And SeaWorld is a lot of fun WITHOUT the kids! Plus, you get to see the Alamo! Best of all, you're just an hour from Fredericksburg. AWESOME old German town, with several wineries in the area, including one right on the main drag. This side trip would be SO relaxing. The main street now houses dozens and dozens of the greatest little boutiques selling everything from Christmas items to bluebonnet jelly! It's a wonderful day spent away from San Antonio.

Austin is younger and hipper. If you're into some great music and food and just hangin'... it is also an excellent choice.

And the weather is great in Nov/Dec!

See links below...

http://www.fredericksburgtexas.com/index.html

http://www.sanantoniocvb.com/

http://www.austintexas.org/visitors/about_austin

Have fun!!!
Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:32 PM

Miami?
Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:39 AM

I do a long weekend trip with girlfriends once a year. We did Charleston a few years ago, and that was a big hit. We did a tour of homes, shopped, toured all the old Plantations like Middleton Place Plantation, Drayton Hall, Boone Hall, walked along the waterfront, ate seafood and low country specialties, went canoeing in a black cypress swamp - there's a lot to do there, and the city is loaded with charm. Lots of cute B&Bs to choose from too.

Just this past weekend, we all went to San Antonio and stayed at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort for a spa weekend. It's a neat property with a lazy river that you can inner tube on, pool, hot tub, great spa facilities, etc. We even made s'mores one night around a campfire. The River Walk in SA is a great spot to eat, have margaritas, and people watch. There's also the Alamo and Sea World. Either place would be a great choice for you.