Destination for girls' weekend

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Destination for girls' weekend

We are ladies in our early 30's, spread across the west coast (San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle) looking for a warm place to retreat to for a weekend reunion. Thinking Palm Springs or Lake Tahoe, maybe even Sedona or Phoenix. Any suggestions. Want some nightlife, warm weather, a pool/beach to lay by, a spa to visit, good eats.

Looking not only for advice on a destination, but recommendations on specific hotels also. $200/night for a room would probably be about right.

Can you help?!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM

What time of year? That may make a difference...
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Scottsdale, AZ for good fall or spring get aways, forget summer, too damn hot to enjoy
Caleo Resort- small, old motel very nicely redone, sweet little pool area & courtyard with firepits, small spa, nice fitness room with good equipment, much less expensive than the large Scottsdale resorts, walking distance to Scottsdale Fashion Mall, about 1 mi to Old Town Scottsdale where the clubs are located (Axis/Radius Nightclub has a website)& where you can find good food, hotel has a free shuttle until 11pm for anything within a 3 mile radius so you can get to the mall or to Old Town without driving.

Try Southwest.com for flights.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:25 PM
trippinkpj

Yes, the time of year will make the difference. I do like your ideas. I had a girls spring weekend to Palm Springs once. Desert Hot Springs (near Yucca Valley and Joshua Tree). As long as it isn't May - Sept.

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Sorry! Yes, we're thinking mid-June, and too hot is definitely a consideration. For me, ideal lounging weather is mid-eighties, not in the 100's. Perhaps rules out Arizona.

Beach is great, but I think all the ladies would like to get out of their city. And LA is...well is LA, so that's why I'm considering mostly inland locations.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:08 PM
trippinkpj

Mid June, I would ax Phoenix, Palm Springs and Deesrt Hot Springs. Sedona would be warm, but not as hot as the desert spots. Tahoe (North or South shore?), Yosemite, Central Coast (Monterey/ Pacific Grove or Cambria/ Morro Bay). If you want specific hotel suggestions, let me know which ones you may be interested in. I'm not that familiar with Sedona, but am a little with the other regions.

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

trippinkpj, I think I am mentally norrowing things down to Sedona and Tahoe. I've never been to either.

Tahoe, the average temp seems to say around 70 degrees (the same as Seattle) and I'm concerned that it'll be too cool. Any idea if that's a warm feeling 70 rather than the cloudy and cool we get in Seattle? Also, I don't know the difference between the north and south shore. Can you give me a synposis of their different personalities.

Re: Sedona. I'd love to see the Red Rocks etc. so I can imagine the days will be easy to fill, but will there be anything to do in the evenings? We'd like to be able to go out and experiences some night life (not necessarily dancing on bars, but don't want to be the only people on the streets on a Saturday night). Can anyone provide input?
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 05:16 PM

Sedona is dead, dead, dead at nite. They roll up the carpet, shut off the lites, see ya! No kidding. Really sleepy.

I know what you said about LA and all but... Shade, a new boutique hotel in Manhattan Beach is beautiful! About three blocks from the beach in a newly developing block. The MB & Hermosa Beach areas have fun little boutiques, good food, casual nightlife (and you're close enough to get the the LA nightlife if you want).
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Carmel - Monterey - Morro Beach ?
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 01:41 PM

How about Santa Barbara? The problem with June along the coast is that you could run into "June gloom". For me, it usually isn't that warm in June to lay out at the beach although you might get some nice days. As others have said, the deserts will be warm. Weatherwise, I think Sedona would be about right but obviously not much nightlife.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

I looked into Santa Barbara, and was shocked at how expensive the accommodations are. If they were available at all, that is!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Inland from Santa Barbara, in the Solvang-San Luis Obispo area. Actually SLO would be nice. Enough dining and drinking, day trip to Sycamore Hot Springs.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 02:48 PM
trippinkpj

SLO is a good idea. It's close to the Cambria or Morro Bay area I suggested. Usually warmer, but close enough to the beach (also Pismo Peach). Just don't pick graduation weekend (Cal Poly) is there. Things will be mostly booked and pricey. It's the weekend of June 9th- 11th.

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Have you tried Safari West in CA? I haven't but heard about a gal's weekend there. Sound fun if you like "African" adventures.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Ah, graduation, maybe that's why Santa Barbara was so booked up. I was testing availability the weekend of June 17. Which airport would you suggest flying into to get to SLO, and how far's the drive (in miles, since hours really depends!)?
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 04:00 PM
trippinkpj

Well, slo does have an airport, although I'm not familiar with who flies there. I live in San Jose, and it's just a 3 hour drive (in non-commute time) from here. Let me know if you want hotel recommendations for SLO, Pismo Beach and Morro Bay. I'm sure others could pipe in with suggestions.

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

trippinkpj, sure, I'd love your recommendations on SLO hotels. Something with a pool that doesn't feel cheap. The hotel chains are fine, but not necessarily preferred. Something with a little personality and character...after all, photos will be taken by the pool and we'd like to at least suggest we are in SoCal rather than some anonymous best western in Arkansas!

Walking distance to restaurants and shopping would be great. Oh, and if you can recommend any spas for a massage and pedi!

Thanks so much!

I don't know much about Pismo Beach or Morro Bay. Are they locations I should be giving a second thought to? Obviously, since you listed them. Can you give me 10 word descriptions of the locations and why you like them?
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 04:52 PM
trippinkpj

Check out: Blue Sail Inn in Morro Bay (no pool, just a jacuzzi), Twin Dolphin in Morro Bay, Inn at Morro Bay, La cuesta Inn, Madonna Inn and Apple Farm Inn in San Luis Obispo. In Pismo Beach we like Sea Venture resort and Sand Castle Inn. Nearby in Arroyo Grande there's the Best Western Casa Grande. Also Sycamore Mineral Springs in Avila. See a few links:
http://www.pismobeach.com/lodging/

http://www.visitslo.com/ecm/Where_To_Stay/Home.html

http://www.sycamoresprings.com/lodginggreen.asp

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 04:56 PM
trippinkpj

I forgot the ten word descriptions:
Pismo Beach- Quaint fun beach town, beautiful beach and some night life. Morro Bay- Cute Harbor, nice shopping, dining and fun to walk around.
These two spots do get morning and evening fog. You may want to be inland (SLO or the Sycamore Springs/ Avila locations), to be a little warmer.

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:47 PM

lovesadventure,

Girls weekend? Early 30's?
:-?Hummm.........want nightlife, warm weather, pool, spa? Hey, you girls can stay at my house in Phoenix (AC included)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -