Reload this Page >

Destin or Keys for vacation??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:09 PM
brutus

My wife and I would like to go to Florida for one week end of July. We heard about Destin being nice but we also heard the same about the keys. Which would anyone reccomend? We are in our early 30's. We've got to have a good beach with crystal clear water. Good food is important. We like to sit out at taverns for appetizers and drinks. We also dont mind a club or two to go dancing once or twice during the week. We are NOT into tours, history, or boat excursions. We like to sit on the beach all day, shower then hit the resaurants then maybe some dancing if not too full. We will have a rental. Restaurants by the sea is nice too.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Sincebeaches

Destine. It'll be hot, but the beaches are much better than the Keys.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:49 PM
susan

The beaches at Destin are wonderful. For everything else, go to Key West.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 11:01 PM
ab

forget the Keys for beaches, yes for fun and taverns and hanging out but go to Destin if you want a nice relaxing beach. The keys is for boating and water sports.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:04 PM
luckydude

Another vote for Destin. They don't call it the Emerald coast for nothing.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:40 AM
denette

Brutus,
The beaches at Destin beat the Keys hands down, absolutely no comparison but the water clarity/quality in the Keys is much better than Destin for snorkeling. The fishing is great in Destin, many wonderful waterfront restaurants, also and on the really good days you can snorkel, but will not have the reefs that you will find in the Keys, just the beautiful white sandy bottom with some fish, nothing spectacular, but all and all Destin and the surrounding beaches are the best in all of Florida.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:49 AM
EYW

I'll go against the grain & say the Keys. The beaches are nice but there are nice beaches in the Keys as well (just not in Key West). Fly to Miami & drive out, take your time & stop often, there is a lot to see & the food is 10X better than anything you'll find in Destin. Destin is more of a 'family vacation' spot in my eyes.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:49 AM
EYW

I'll go against the grain & say the Keys. The beaches are nice but there are nice beaches in the Keys as well (just not in Key West). Fly to Miami & drive out, take your time & stop often, there is a lot to see & the food is 10X better than anything you'll find in Destin. Destin is more of a 'family vacation' spot in my eyes.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:45 PM
xx

The Keys!!!! Great fishing, diving, and snorkeling. Beautiful wildlife and nature. Great restaurants with many on the water. Fun nightlife especially in Key West.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:07 PM
floridaGal

I love the beaches in Destin but I would have to pick the Keys.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:10 PM
duh

the Keys-the keys-the keys!!!!!!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:06 PM
flex

If 90% of what you want is to lay on the beach, Destin is it. BUT, I agree with the last few postings. You have to go to the Keys. Hit Miami and drive down. Bahia Honda at MM 37 has consistently been rated as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. You can get nice beach time in Key West and the food and nightlife are fantastic.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:31 PM
Keys

Please understand Bahia Honda Beach was once very nice and highly rated but that was before the hurricanes of the last few years. It is not nearly as nice as it once was when it won awards.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:41 AM
Duh

I guess some people didn't even bother to read what Brutus posted before they replies. I got a kick out of the person suggesting the Keys for fishing and diving after Brutus says "we are NOT into boat excursions". Hey the Keys are great, but why are some of us trying to shove them down Brutus' throat when clearly he seems to want a true "beach vacation". Et tu, Brute? Go to Destin.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:47 AM
Keysareit

Keys all the way baby!! Ignore what "Duh" says.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:49 AM
ForDuh

Boat excursions could mean a lot of things. I think the people above were just offering advice on what some of things are that the Keys offer. Lighten up! I too would pick the Keys over Destine.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:58 AM
KeysBaby

Flex has no idea what he is talking about. Back in the early 90's, I think 92, Bahia Honda was ranked one of the nicest beaches in the U.S., not the world. Thats about the only award it has been praised with. It also has been very torn up and damaged over the past few years with storms and hurricanes.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:02 AM
King Lear

brutus: go to Dust-Bin, uh, I mean Destin - there IS nothing to do but sit on the beach. Food is mediocre, but once you've had three or four drinks, who the hell cares?

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:47 AM
abc

KEYS!!!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 03:41 PM
Kestin

Do both. Go to Destin for a few days and then hop the daily US Airways flight from Pensacola to Miami.

The flight leaves at 9:00 am and you are on the ground in Miami at 1:00 pm. Rent a car and drive to key west. The flights are generally fairly cheap to. I've paid as little as $175.00 r/t.

Destin has the beach, the Keys shouldn't be missed though.

K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -