Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Despareately need information on Greensboro or Burlington NC!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:39 PM
City Girl

I would really appreciate some help here. I have been interviewing for jobs and relocating to the southeast for some time. I was very interested in the Raleigh-Durham after hearing so many good things.

Jsut received a job offer from a company in Burlington, NC a *very* smal town about 50 miles outside Raleigh-Durham

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:50 PM
City Girl

Please read my other post with the same title! It seems I hit the "Post Message" button before I was finished, sorry.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 08:49 PM
mom of poster

City Girl,

About 1 hr ago or so, my daughter typed a very long reply to your questions. She lived in the Burlington area for 4 yrs. I cannot find the post. I believe it was under your other longer questions but that appears to have disappeared.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:42 AM
chuck

City Girl,

My wife & I spent a miserable year in Burlington. Although that was 15 years ago, it is my impression from spending some time there over the past 5 years that it didn't change signficantly. It's roots are that of a small mill town, and I think it still has that flavor.

If you have a choice, definitely choose Greensboro over Burlington. Greensboro is in a fairly large metro area (1 million plus), and it is a much more diverse, mid-size city.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:01 AM
City Girl

My stupid fingers posted twice. This one posted before I was even finished typing my long story. I think Fodors saw two posts with the same name and deleted one (the wrong one unfortuantely!)

Anyway the rest of the story is that I will be moving from Chicago and am used to BIG CITY life. I know that the small town of Burlington would be major culture shock for me. Smaller is fine, too small, not fine! At the job interview I intimated that I might live in Raleigh and commute out to Burlington and was quickly told that commuting from Raleigh or even Durham would be insane!

I pretty much resigned myself that the next choice would be Greensboro. Anyone know what the commute time from Greensboro to Burlington would be? The other problem is that most apartment complexes are on the west side of Greensboro near the Triad airport which makes the commute even longer! I guess if you live further south you are better off because you are closer to I-40. Therefore I have been looking at some properties in southwest Greensboro, Bridford Lake/Bridford Parkway area right off I-40. Can anyone tell me about that area and specifically what the commute from that area would be like? Is there another city other than Raleigh, Durham, and Greensboro that I should look into? And is Greensboro even big enough, what is it like to live there?

Mom of Poster: your daughters reply got deleted along with my post unfortunately and I never got to read it. Can you (or she) possibly give me some more information? Thank you in advance for indulging me!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 12:57 PM
chuck

City Girl,

You definitely do not want to live in Burlington if you are accustomed to Chicago. And you cannot really commute from the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area to Burlington. Thus Greensboro is your only real choice. But it's a good choice. G-boro has several decent-sized universities, and it is a fairly progressive town (at least for NC).

The commute on I-40 to Burlington does, as you have surmised, depend on which side of Greensboro you live. If you are southwest of G-boro, near I-40, you're going to hit eastbound traffic commuting to downtown G-boro. After you clear that, you'll have an easy drive to Burlington. Rough estimate, perhaps 30-45 minutes.

Personally, I would suffer the commute and live in Greensboro (assuming the job in Burlington is too good to pass up).

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:00 PM
ncgrrl

You might want to look at living in Hillsborough or Chapel Hill. Hillsborough might be closer than Greensboro. CH is a college town with all that goes with it. Though apartments on Airport Road (near the I-40 interchange) are full of students.

Hillsborough is a small (smaller than Burlington), charming, historic town that doesn't have much nightlife (they head over to CH or Durham), but not many students in the apartment complex. There is one complex with a name I can't remember right now on Churton ST. between I-40 and I-85.

Living in Raligh and driving to Burlington would be insane.

How about amazing your city dwelling friends and live in the country? Rent a few acres just outside of town for a fraction of a Michigan Ave. apartment.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Lila

Burlington is going to get to you after a while, perhaps a very short while, and Greensboro, Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill are only slightly better if you are used to Chicago. Made the same relocation myself 10 yrs. ago, and while I love the climate and the lack of population density, there are still things that drive me up a wall. The commute from Chapel Hill to Burlington is just about possible (40 min., weather's usually good, no traffic); Greensboro's closer, and perhaps if you find a good neighborhood, you'll enjoy it.

For completely the other side of the coin, however, I have a friend who has moved out to the unincorporated area between Burlington and Hillsborough and built a completely off-the-grid house -- all solar power and well water, etc. etc. He is also hooked up to local water and power, but when there's a storm -- or, perhaps, a war -- he's all set!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:39 PM
City Girl

Thanks for the replies all, I really appreciate it. It looks like Greensboro is going to be the option since I am the type who as a 28yo single female wants to live in a modern apartmen complex and be within a 5 -10 min. drive to shopping and entertainment. Not trying to be snotty, but I am just not the country girl type. While I have lived in Chicago since grad school in 1997, I grew up in St. Charles, IL where my family still lives which is kind of in the country but somewhat suburban being about 1.5 hours outside Chicago. I have lived in smaller cities as well. I went to college and grad school at the University of Kentucky in Lexington which I assume is about the same size as Greensboro. I enjoyed my time there as even though it is a smaller city (less than 500,000), the university adds some culture and diversity, I assume this part of North Carolina is the same with the many colleges in the area.

30-40 min. commute each way is about my limit so it looks like Greensboro will work out. Does anyone know anything about the Lake Bridford section of Greensboro on the southwest side. It appears to be near some upscale shopping at a new shopping center and have plenty of restaurants. Is this a safe area? or considered a "nice" section of town? Also just how long would it take to commute from Raleigh or the section of Durham around Duke Forest, it just doesn't appear that far on the map!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 05:42 PM
City Girl

Just bumping this up to see if there are any more comments.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 06:24 AM
City Girl

anyone, anyone?

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 04:31 AM
saa

Are you sure this JOB is too good to pass up?

From Chicago to Burlingto-MAJOR CULTURAL SHOCK-

I came from Seattle to Charlotte 30 years ago and THAT was culture shock!

Try looking for a job in the Raleigh area or the Charlotte area-MUCH MORE going on ,esp for a single girl "looking" to possibly settle down!
JMHO--but you would die in the Greeensboro/Burlington area

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 06:25 AM
City Girl

Well the job market just isn't that good right now. I have looked in Charlotte and Raleigh. As a matter of fact I have been sending resumes out since March to the tune of about 6-8 each week! That's roughly about 150 resumes and while I have had several interviews this is only the second off er I have received. The first one was in Charlotte and the money was only okay and there was no relocation assistance. This was is good money with great benefits and a full relocation package. Considering it took me over 6 months to get the offer, I'm just not sure I am willing to wait another 6 months! Like I said before, I lived in Lexington, KY for 6 years during school and loved so if Greensboro is anything like that I won't mind. It's just that I don't want to actually live in a city as small as Burlington as I could not handle that!

Also, if I don't liek Greensboro after a while I can surelystick it out for a year at least and then look for positions later in Raleigh or Charlotte. The job market is just so terrible right now and it is very hard as an out of state candidate because they don't want to pay the money to fly you in for an interview and to relocate you unless they have to.

Anyway still looking for info on southwest Greensboro and Lake Bridford area including commute time and options in that area. Thanks again!

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 11:28 AM
collette

Good luck wit whatever you decide but as someone who came from PRovidence, RI first to Charlotte and then to Durham,I agree with those who are advising you to think twice. Charlotte is more commercialized and upscale than Durham but I am bored here and I am married. Maybe it's better for single people but I think you will miss the vitality and stimulation of Chicago . Raleigh is nothing to write home about either in terms of a"city" atmosphere. BTW though, I think you could commute from South of Burlington to North Durham area in about 40 minutes, but not sure.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Sara

City GIRL,

I think I can offer you some good advice since I moved to Greensboro from MI last year for a job. I can sincerely recommend that you do not move to Greensboro. I am 32 year old female single and have discovered that GSO is not a place for singles over the age of 22. The town is mainly a suburban strip mall family place with some colleges consisting mainly of undergrads. It is very difficult to meet new people esp. moving from far away. the mall here is not what you would consider upscale coming from Chicago.. the Limited is about as upscale as it gets. And near Bridford Pkwy are stores like Target, WalMart, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc. with the typical chain restaurants.... chilis, TGIF, etc. That apt. itself is nice, but not particularly near anything interesting. I lived in the SW area of GSO for about a year and was ready to get out.... actually had a couple interviews in Chicago, but nothing panned out, so I moved to Chapel Hill while still working in GSO. I work for schools so the commute is not as bad as it could be... but still anywhere from 45-55 min. But commuting from Chapel Hill to Burlington is definitely doable. I live off Airport Rd. near the hwy. in a nice apt complex that has some students (mostly grads) but is still quiet and nice. I think if you commuted from here to Burlington it would take approx. 35 min. depending on where in Burl. Anyway as we seem to be in similar positions I would definitely recommend living in Chapel Hill over GSO as there is more to do, more diversity, and is closer to Raleigh/Durham. Let me know if you have more questions.
Sara