Designer discount shops NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I need to either cut my wife's shopping expenses, or start buying a cheaper scotch...so...lets work on the shopping!

I know of the shops in Secaucus near the TV station, and Lowemans in Manhatten....are there any other decent shops with a good selection simialar to Lowemans or the other outlets located anywher in Manhatten?

Thanks
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:19 PM

Century 21 is more or less the mecca of discount designer shopping in Manhattan. If she's shopped Loehman's in NYC, she's probably heard of it. It's located on Church St., dowtown, across the street from the WTC site.

Woodbury Commons is probably the best outlet mall in America. It's located about 1-1/2 hours outside NYC by car. Barney's, Gucci, Ferragamo, etc. outlets.

I would also get her a subscription to Time Out New York. It's a good way to get a schedule of upcoming sample sales across the city.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Had not heard of Century 21 so that will be the next stop.

Been to Woodbury Commons, definately was one of the better large scale outlets we've scene, but it seemed more average "consumer" style products than professional woman. Kind of an odd range were looking for...more cocktail circuit fashion and accesories that will be more unusual than office wear.

The Saks and Neiman outlets in Miami were far superior to Woodbury Commons.

Thanks for the tip...we will check out the other one!
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:53 PM

Century 21, Filene's, Loehmann's, and DSW for shoes.

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 07:07 PM

No offense, but are you sure you're really a guy ;-)

Honestly, your wife probably needs to go to sample sales if none of the aforementioned options suit your/her fancy. You're simply not going to find "outlet" shopping better than Woodbury Commons in the area. And I would qualify the selection available at Woodbury as MUCH superior to that of Loehman's. Have her check out C21, and again, get this woman a subscription to TONY.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:23 PM

One of my favorites is DAffy's and there are several locations in the city, like across the street from Macy's.

I'd also suggest checking NY Magazine for sample sales and I think there is a Barney's outlet during the holidays.

If you are going to be here over the holidays, there are a couple of gift fairs that she might enjoy at Union Square, Grand Central Station and I think Bryant Park.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Yes I'm a guy!!!

I'm married to a prima donna! So I have to do all the research...she simply arrives in style gt;

Actually over the years I have been converted into a shopper and now actually like it....and that is FRIGHTNING....I actually find myself glancing at womans shoes as I pass through SAKS now!

Can I be saved?

Anyway...have not been to Loemans yet....just base our interest on the Miami and San Fran store.

Woodbury just did not seem to have many unique items.....and certainly did not come close to the selection to Miami....perhaps we won't get better than here.

Never heard of sample sales...have to look into that. She has an "in" for Nicole Miller, but needs more variety such as St John etc.

Thanks for your help, and we will check out the suggestions!
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:42 PM

Any shopper could spend an entire day in Century21... I almost had to buy another suitcase for all my 'finds', even though I had left half a large suitcase empty for shopping. Great buys on quality goods, especially if you're willing to get in there and look for them on the clearance and one-of-a-kind racks.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions!!!! WIll definately try Century 21!

PS - AnitaG my wife has discovered that Fedex is quite accomodating to overdrive shopping trips!
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Mark, I'm not sure if you're saying you are looking for cocktail circuit fashion or are looking for career woman stuff. Either way, I don't think you went to the right stores at Woodbury. Chanel, Gucci, Armani etc.

For cocktail circuit stuff, have a look here
http://nymag.com/listings/stores/des...als/index.html

More info on other places here
http://nymag.com/guides/cheap/clothing/
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Filene's Basement.