Derby Week in Louisville

Search

Derby Week in Louisville

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Derby Week in Louisville

There are dozens of events in Louisville during the 2 weeks before the Kentucky Derby: a huge fireworks show, a parade ,marathons, hot air balloon races, steamboat races, even a bed race. Oh, and party after party.
My husband and I went to Churchill Downs this morning for an event called " Dawn at the Downs". Dawn is a bit of misnomer, because we actually got to the track at 7AM.
It has become a tradition in the past few years to go to the track on the M-Thursday mornings of Kentucky Derby week to watch the Derby contenders train.

We had breakfast on the fourth floor of the Sky Terrace . Breakfast was yummy, scrambled eggs, hash browns, grits, sausages, country ham with red-eye gravy, biscuits ..... all kinds of fresh fruit, juices, and coffee. I didn't eat all that, but I could have if I'd wanted!
After breakfast we went downstairs to stand along the rail and watch the jockeys and horses do the morning workout.

It was a bit nippy out this morning, the temp was about 46F, but it was beautifully sunny...that's great practice weather for the horses.
Here's a link to a few pics I took this morning http://tinylink.com/?qm6YwRhMw7

Best wishes and good luck to all of you who plan to be in town this week.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:28 AM

Nice pictures.

I lived in Louisville for three years in the mid 90s.

I was able to see many of the Derby events you listed.

My boss at the time had some racing connections and we were able to go backside at Churhill Downs.

It was great because we were among the Derby horses, trainers, jockeys and celebrities that were being interviewed.

If you ever get a chance to go backside during Derby Week, do it.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dusty, I'm glad you liked the pics.
The backside is a great place to visit. I've never watched the Derby from that location though.
I have been there at other times during the spring or fall meets; watching morning workouts and chatting with the trainers and the hot walkers.
I've had breakfast at the track kitchen a time or two..I love how the horses streak past the big picture window while I'm sitting on the other side of the window at the table with my plate of eggs.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:19 PM

I'm talking about the backside where all of the barns are, not the infield where everyone goes to watch the Derby.

We were within a few feet of the horses, trainers, etc.

This was also around dawn when the horses are working out.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Hi Dusty..
Yep, I , too, was talking about the backside of the track where the barns are.
It's fun, isn't it? It's a whole new perspective of Churchill Downs.

Some friends are part of a horse syndicate and during meets their horse is stabled at Churchill Downs.
I've gone with them several times during the racing seasons to watch the morning workouts from the backside and to have brekkie at the track kitchen. After we eat, we walk through the barn area and end up with a visit to their horse of the moment.
The backside isn't open to the general public on a regular basis. But I do believe there are tours given from time to time.

Yesterday's visit to" Dawn at the Downs " was entirely different ...that event is open to everyone who wants to go. We had breakfast at the Skye Terrace and then watched workout from the rail at the Finish Line.
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:40 AM

I'll see you all tomorrow but am going to the Oaks (didn't get my Derby tix this year). I also lived in Louisville in the early 90's and miss this experience greatly.