Denver- Worthwhile to Stay a Day and Night?

Jun 10th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Denver- Worthwhile to Stay a Day and Night?

I'm heading out to Denver next week for a wedding - we have 5 days in CO, and the wedding is in Vail, so we'll be there for a day or so. I'm trying to decide if we should stay in Denver proper for a night, and take a day to explore the city, hit a few cafes/restaurants, shop, etc. Thoughts on this - is Denver worthwhile, or skip-able?

Thanks!
Jun 10th, 2003, 10:24 AM

It would be a lot of fun to spend a night in Denver--lots of stuff to do downtown in LoDo. Good shopping in a number of places. YOu might try bidding on a downtown hotel on Priceline. Keep the star high.
A great place for a drink is the Cruise Room of the Oxford Hotel--neat art nouveau decor.
Jun 10th, 2003, 10:26 AM

I'd spend a day in Denver. The downtown is really fun - there are museums, restaurants, shops, old buildings, bars, the capitol building, and several other interesting things to see.
Jun 10th, 2003, 11:04 AM

Downtown Denver is nice and I'm sure you could find plenty to do but it really isn't all that unique compared to other big cities. I would recommend driving up to Aspen for a night or two -certainly more unique than Denver. It is only about 100 miles from Vail. You could stop in Glenwood Springs on the way and take a dip in the pool. Then take the scenic road back from Aspen on Independence Pass.
Jun 10th, 2003, 11:53 AM

Here's another Denverite suggesting that you spend your time in the mountains, in Vail, Aspen, Rocky Mountain National Park (Estes Park) or even Steamboat Springs if you want to see something else. Denver is ok, but doesn't have anything (museums, restaurants or otherwise) that most other medium-sized cities don't have. Unless you currently live in the mountains, spend your time there! (Also, there are plenty of good restaurants and shopping in Vail and Aspen, if you're into that.)
Jun 10th, 2003, 12:14 PM

Denver really IS unique when compared to other cities in my opinion--they have saved their old buildings and made great use of them. Aspen is cute--they can probably go on there after the wedding. It's just more mountain town, different from Vail for sure--but a lot of the same cute shops, etc. Denver has some excellent museums, botanic gardens, and fun stuff. You Denverites and Boulderites ought to get out more.
There is also a butterfly pavilion in Westminster (very close--on the way to Boulder, sort of) that is very interesting.
Jun 11th, 2003, 06:58 AM

Hi Reiley, I live in Denver and love it! yes stay a night downtown. Depending on your budget.. for moderate priced stay at the Courtyard by Marriott on the 16th st Mall. It is very different from other Courtyards, in an old rehabed bldg. You can take the free shuttle from there to Larimer Square and Lodo. If your wanting a bit more luxury look at the Oxford or Hotel Monaco. Both Historic Hotels. At any you will not need a car once you arrive. Denver is a great town to walk and enjoy. Many outdoor cafes, art galleries.

In summer there are many free concerts and festivals downtown, especially Friday nights.

Then I would head to the Mtns, I would stay one night in Denver then Vail for the rest. Love Vail too!

Have fun!
Jun 11th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - super helpful. I think we'll do a night and a day...and head out right after for the hills - appreciate all the help!