Denver/Skiing for Spring Break?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are thinking about taking our kids to Denver for Spring Break in mid-March. We have 2 girls (they'll be 3 and 5 1/2 at the time of the trip) who have never seen snow (we live in Houston). We have some friends that live in Denver so we were going to visit with them for a few days and see the sights there. We were then thinking of moving on to a ski area for a few days. My husband likes to ski, but I can't say it's one of my most favorite things to do...

Any recommendations on ski resorts that would be fun for the kids and offer other things to do - like dog sledding, ice skating, shopping, sleigh ride, etc.? Will my 3 year old be too young for ski school? Any suggestions on fun things to do in Denver itself?

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Kim
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 04:11 PM

Denver has the usual collection of museums, zoo, historical building, etc. I am sure your friends can assist you.

I would look to Breckenridge or Keystone for skiing and the other activities. If price is not a concern try Beaver Creek or Vail. They will take the 3 year old but it will be more child care with snow activities rather than learning to ski. The six year old will do fine. Both Breck and Keystone have good family programs.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 03:55 AM

Kim - we also live in Houston and have taken many spring break ski trips. I'd second fmpmden's suggestions. If you're already going to be in Denver, Breckenridge, Keystone and Vail are easy to get to and offer a lot for family sking (and non-skiers).

Might suggest looking into staying in Frisco/Dillion. It's just a few miles/minutes from both Breckenridge and Keystone and very close to Vail. Good central location and sometimes you can find better deals than if you stay in the resorts themselves.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 05:11 AM

Based on our experience, I disagree that ski school for the 3 year old is more of a "child care" based activity. Your child will be fitted with skis and boots, ride the "magic carpet" (conveyer belt) to the top of a small hill and learn how to make a wedge stop. I think it is a good introduction to skiing. You know your child best, so you are the best judge of whether this is an activity that he/she will enjoy.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 05:54 AM

If you are going to stay outside of a ski area than Frisco is your better bet. It is about equal distance (10 miles) to Breck, Keystone, and Copper and 35 miles to Vail. It is also the hub for the free county bus system connecting the Summitt Cty ski areas. And Frisco has a lot to offer in the way of good restaurants and you can take a bus to the factory outline mall in Dillon/Silverthorne.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:11 AM

Although we have stayed in Frisco to ski the Summitt County resorts, with small children, I would recommend staying ski in/ski out, if you can swing it. Being able to get back to your lodging for a break can make the day go better. Having to pack everyone up to get on the bus in the morning and reverse the process at the end of the day can be a hassle with little ones. We didn't do that until our children were big enough to haul their own gear.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:12 AM

Another thought--ski at Winter Park, and stay at Timber House Lodge, where breakfast and dinner are included, and they drive you to the hill in the morning and pick you up at the end of the day. For me, it was the lazy woman's way to enjoy a family ski trip!
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:45 AM

In response to your question about things to do other than skiing, all the resorts mentioned offer a variety of activities for non-skiers. I suggest you check out their websites for further information.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM

The kids will do great in ski school, and it will be fit for their age. We did Vail when our kids were young (not that young), but have more recently had experience at Keystone for our grands. The advent of teh "magic carpet" method of getting the kids up the slope is very cool, and gets the lessons moving. Keystone doesn't have a huge amount of shopping but if your husband wants to ski, get everyone squared away at the mountain and go back down to the outlets at Silverthorne, 10 miles away.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 02:59 PM

Agree with Gretchen. Keystone has great activities if your not that interested in skiing, though the skiing at Keystone is very good! They have tubing, the largest outdoor maintained skating rink in the USA, snowshoeing, dinner sleigh rides. You might enjoy some of the Spas, The Keystone Lodge and Spa is nice is you also want to work out. The Serenity is nice for more pampering. I love to have lunch at the Alpenglow Stube. You take the Gondolas up, your husband could meet you and you get the great views!

I like to ski out of the mountain House base as it is less crowded than River Run. (Ski School at River Run at Spring Break, no thanks! )
Depending on your budget I like:

Moderate:Key Condos, close to the lifts and the price is great for the location

Slightly Higher: Chateaux Du'mont, very close to the lifts though further from River Run

A three year old can learn to ski it really depends on your child
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm definitely leaning towards Breckenridge or Keystone. I like that Keystone has tubing because I think that's something the kids will really enjoy. Is that something my 3 year old can do or is it too dangerous? I was checking out VRBO and found one of the resorts in Breckenridge (I think it was Grand Timber Lodge) had some great indoor/outdoor pools. If the kids don't enjoy the skiing much - I know they'll have a great time swimming in the snow! Can anyone recommend some other spots to stay that might have similar amenities, but not necessarily as big a price tag?

Thanks,
Kim
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:31 PM

Unfortunately March (Spring Break) is a hair below the Christmas/New Years period. It is peak time so the deals will not be that available. As a local skier I seldom stay overnight at either so I cannot recommend much. Use the web sites. Grand Timber Lodge is a huge timeshare facility. There is also a tubing hill at Copper.

The is more of a town center to Breck than Keystone. And, IMO more to offer.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:54 PM

The Village at Breckenridge also has an indoor/outdoor pool. It's an older property, but has been renovated. Unlike Grand Timber Lodge, the Village is right on Main Street AND is right at the chairlifts, so you can get into town and onto the slopes. (Though I think Grand Timber Lodge offers shuttle service into town.) The rooms here might be slightly cheaper, because of the age of the building.

Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge is right next to the Village, and has a large outdoor pool (year-round) and a tiny indoor pool. A school friend of my son's stayed here once, so I saw the rooms. It's a newer property, the rooms are nicely furnished, but small. Probably more expensive because it's newer, but it's also right on Main St.

For tubing, you could take the kids to either Keystone or Copper. Though I think there is an age limit, and I would think that 3 years old is too young.

Breckenridge does have a regular, old-fashioned sledding hill in the town park.

Breckenridge, a former mining town, does have more of an actual town than Keystone. For skiing, however, I like both places.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:31 PM

I do not know Breck lodging well but at Keystone lots have pools. I like to pool at "The Springs" in River Run, though it is going to be pricey. Expedititon Station has a good pool not as good as the Springs.

Key Condos have an indoor pool.
Chateaux Du'mont does not have a pool.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 07:57 AM

Nobody has mentioned Copper Mountain yet. Its as easy to get to as keystone and others.

If your thinking tubing may be an activity for you, the tubing hill at copper is way easier to get to (bottom of the mtn) than the one at keystone (top of mountain). I've done both in the evening and frankly keystones is a hassle to get to / from.

Any resort you stay at will have a fitness center / indoor pool that you should be able to use. I know copper and keystone both do.

the town of breckenridge is nice with lots of shops and restaurants, but be prepared to deal with the throngs of people that come with it. I prefer to stay in keystone or coppers village or in frisco away from all the chaos, but thats just me.

Good luck...enjoy - your kids will do great in ski school.. which of course means your husband and kids may be dragging you skiing for years to come!
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Tubing is not an activity for a 3 year old. You also usually need to make reservations for a time. It fills up.
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 04:48 AM

We have taken our kids to Winter Park for many years. It has a fantastic ski school that even a 3 year old could enjoy. It is very close to Denver and very family friendly. I would recommend a class for yourself as you might enjoy skiing if you learn how. We love the family atmosphere at teh ski school.
Thye have added ice skating and a tubing hill in Winter park village (new this year). I don't know what the age limit is but I do know a lot of people use the ski school area at night to sled with little ones since there is no night skiing.
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 05:03 AM

DD use to teach those little ones at Winter Park!!
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Are you planning to ski? If not, I would stay at Breckenridge. There are more stores & restaurants within walking distance of most accomodations. At Keystone, unless you stay right at the lifts, you have to take a shuttle to entertainment. Also, why do you want to put the 3 yr old in ski school? If you are skiing, she will be fine. If not, you can find things to do with her & she won't miss it. When mine were young we had fun at the sledding hill at Breck. There is also a playground in town. Try Breckenridge accomodations or snow.com. You may have to call for stays of less than their minimum. We have stayed at the Village for years & if you can get a good deal there, it is in a great location.
In Denver, there is a great Children's Museum & the Museum of Science has some great exhibits. The zoo is very good too.
I suggest trying to borrow snow clothes from friends at home or if you stop at Walmart or Target on the way, there might be sales.