Search

Denver ski day trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denver ski day trip

Hi all, I'll be in Denver for business for a week in early March and I'm planning a mid-week ski day-trip. Is Vail my best option? Other ideas, maybe nearer Denver? I'm a good skier.

Also, would you rent a car or is there a better transportation option, leaving Denver in the morning and coming back at night?

Finally, I'll have a free afternoon and evening in Denver. Any suggestions as to what to do, either in Denver or the surrounding? (first time ever in Colorado).

thanks a lot.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Vail would be my pick for the best skiing. But, you'll have to drive - it's a couple hours from Denver. The ski train leaves from Union Station right downtown (are you staying downtown?) and goes to Winter Park. It's a fun alternative to driving. Winter Park is not my favorite resort, but I don't think you'll be disappointed in a day there. Loveland will be the closest by car, but the coldest. Other good options are Breckenridge, Copper Mountain and Keystone.

What are your other interests? That may help us make a recommendation on your free afternoon/evening.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:54 AM

I think that Winter Park or Copper are the most convenient to Denver. If you want to enjoy the town, Winter Park might be a little better. If you are purely looking for ski terrain, I'd go with Copper.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:00 AM

The ski areas closer to Denver are Loveland, Arapahoe Basin, Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain and Winter Park/Mary Jane. I'm sure they all have websites.
In Denver, possible activities could include a visit to the art museum (the new wing designed by Daniel Liebeskind is spectacular), see a play, go to a concert http://www.denvercenter.org/home.cfm, visit the Colorado History Museum http://www.coloradohistory.org/exhib...adomuseum.htm; go to a Nuggets (http://www.nba.com/nuggets/) or Avalanche (http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/) game if they're playing the day you have available.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:09 AM

My vote is for Breckenridge. It is only about 10 minutes off I-70 and Copper is literally next to I-70 and you can see the highway from the ski runs. As far as transportation it is cheaper to rent a car as the shuttle services run $70 each way from the airport to the ski areas.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the replies.

More info: I live not too far from so-and-so ski resorts. This is my first time in Colorado and I'm not likely to have another chance to be in the Rockies anytime soon, so I'm looking for a memorable experience, which for me means great scenery and good skiing. As it's only a day I don't need necessarily a huge terrain.

I'll be staying in Downtown Denver, so the Skitrain to Winter Park is convenient. However I see that: it takes 2 hours, it's $49 per person (there's 2 of us), Winter Park is not the best resort?

As for the other places, the realistic option is driving. Vail is only 20 miles further from Denver than Copper and Breckenbridge, and lift prices are similar. Is Vail worth the extra drive?
(I have this idea Vail would be the ultimate experience, but maybe I'm wrong).
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:05 AM

For a one time only I would just go to Vail. It is about 2 hours to drive (it ALWAYS seems further!!) and it is just huge and beautiful--fun to be at the top, etc. I would guess you'll have a car anyway.
Leave early, stay late--maybe eat in Idaho Springs or even at The Fort--a wild game restaurant in Morrison--for yet another unusual experience on the way back.

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

wild game! thanks for the suggestion. Is the road normally OK in early March? I will be renting a car and I don't know if I can get one with snow tires.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:25 AM

Colorado DEFINITELY keeps the roads open for their guests--and residents. March is a big snow month but you will be fine.
The Fort is an interesting place--near Red Rocks Amphitheater in Morrison, just on the western outskirts of Denver.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Good to know. I was thinking, in the extra 1/2 day I have, to go to Boulder.

How does this sound: take a bus from Denver to Boulder, walk around CU and the mall, and take a bus back to Denver around 9pm. Is this doable?
How's Market St Station in Denver at night, is it easy to catch a cab back to my hotel?

As an alternative I can stay in a hotel in Boulder for the night, trouble is that I have to catch a 9am flight from Denver Intnl so I'd have to leave at 5:30am.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 01:21 PM

I'm not in the know for that.We just visit our kids and grands often. I'd stay in Denver and fiddle around there without the bus thing although Jax Seafood in Boulder (there's one in Denver also) could be a good dinner. And Boulder does have its "ambience".
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 01:36 PM

Market St. Station is right downtown, in LoDo, and on the 16th St. Mall which has the free shuttle bus running frequently and stopping at every corner. If you're staying in downtown, no need for a cab back to your hotel (which can be hard to find in this city)- just hop the shuttle, or even walk. At 9:00 pm, it should be OK - LoDo is usually busy with restaurant and nightclub patrons and it's by no means deserted. Panhandlers are pretty mild around here!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 03:20 PM

One caveat about driving I70 in the winter time. Yes they make every effort to get it clear, but we often get heavy snowfalls that defy the best of snow plowing intentions. Traffic accidents, road closures, stopping traffic to shoot down avanlanches are not frequent occurrences, but they do happen.

Your best bet would be to wait and check out road conditions before you make your decision. You'll probably be fine just don't count on it.

If you live near mediocre ski resorts, I think you'll find any of the places mentioned a memorable experience.

If you want ambience plus skiing, I'd go to Vail. If it's just the skiing experince then Winter Park, Breckinbridge, or Copper Mt. will be fine.

As to the comment that Copper Mt is next to I70 and you can see the highway from the ski runs..Well you can if you just stay on a few runs on the front side of the mountain. I skied there for years and there are actually only a few runs where you can see the traffic.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

tekwriter, thanks for the info, indeed I'll be staying on 16th street so the free shuttle is perfect.

historytraveler, good point. I'll wait until I'm there, if roads are good I'll go to Vail, and keep Winter Park as an alternative option.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:25 AM

The drive to Winter Park is no day at the beach either!! Berthoud Pass is a bear--but it is closer. Personally, I would rather drive on I70 than go up that road. Daughter was a ski instructor there for a season.
We have visited CO ski resorts for a number of years, off and on. We've left in "blizzards" where the chain law was invoked (but for trucks, not cars--remember that part). It can be slow, but it still "goes". I know this year has been REALLY REALLY strange! But just keep in touch with the weather, and you'll do fine.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Gretchen, thanks a lot for your input. I should have written that the alternative is to go by train to Winter Park if the weather/roads are bad.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Make sure to check www.skitrain.com for schedules. The ski train does not run everyday.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

You're right! There goes my alternative plan (my only available days for skiing are Tuesday or Wednesday).
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM

DrNo -- this thread is about run out but I wanted to make a couple of comments. You did not indicated if you wre bring skis or needed to rent. Vail is more than 20 miles beyond Copper -- it is actually 25 AND you have to go over Vail Pass which can be a problem in marginal weather. You would need to allow two and a half hours from dt Denver. The "logistics" at Vail are not as good for day skiers as Breckenridge or Copper. Breck has a new gondola from the center of the day skier parking lot that puts you on the mountain in about the same time as walking from the parking lot at Vail.

Breck is an authentic, old Colorado mining town where Vail is a reproduced Swiss village -- somewhat. After skiings the mid week access to the resturants would be easier. The scenery and general sking at all the areas is about the same unless you are into double diamonds and that would tip towards back bowls are Vail. A second new chair at Breck now is the highest chair lift in the country which accesses to some pretty rugged terrain. And there are good drops off Peak 10 that should have plenty of snow by March.

For what I think you wish to accomplish I would recommend Breck --

As far as your comments about busing to and from Boulder. Piece of cake. Runs every hour. The bus route is right beside the campus and little over an hour run.

Good luck -- Frank
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 06:08 PM

PS -- I am not a big fan of Jax Fish House -- I think there are many better resturants in that price range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -