Denver in 6 days for Aussies

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Jenny

Denver in 6 days for Aussies

We have 6 days in May to see Denver and surrounds and would really appreciate some input on the things we must do and see.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:26 PM
ron

Denver is an average U.S. city, you can see all you need in 1-2 days. Plan on spending the bulk of your time in the Rocky Mountains, anywhere from 3-6 hours west and southwest of Denver.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 10:24 AM
kima

Hey Jenny! Ron is right, a couple of Days in Denver should do it. What to do? Depends on what your interested in. I would go to the Lodo area downtown, lots of resturants, bars, baseball. You really will not need a car. The 16th Street Mall has a free shuttle around the area. Larimer Square is fun too. For resonable lodging look at the Courtyard by Marriott on 16th street or the Days Inn.

Then head to the mountians. It will be quiet in May, which = cheap! Lots of hiking, biking, white water rafting and such. Check out www.summitnet.com for activites as well as lodging information. If you want night life, Breckenridge would be your best bet, Again its pretty quiet at that time though. Check out www.snow.com to see if the resorts have anything going on.

Also Vail is a good choice. Vail stays pretty busy no matter the time of year! Again the web site will have lodging deals too.

Have fun. We love Colorado!!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 10:00 PM
jenny

Thanks for your replies, I didn't explain myself very well, 'cos we are arriving in Denver and then hiring a car and six days later flying home. So,after we see Denver we will head off and see some of the places suggested.I also messed up the email address on original message...must be getting excited about the holiday!Thanks again.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 02:52 AM
rqf

You might include southwestern Colorado in your travels. Visit Mesa VErde National Park and the Black Canyons Of The Gunnison National Park. If you decide to do this be sure to take a route that includes highway 550, a very scenic road.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:08 AM
xxx

Other posters are correct. We live in the Denver environs, and it is just a ho hum city with LOTS of suburban sprawl. The best aspect of it is its proximity to beautiful natural landscapes and national parks. Rocky Mountain National Park is gorgeous and just over two hours away by car. You may also consider a trip to the southern end of Utah to visit Moab, Arches and Canyonland National Parks, Dead Horse Point State Park, maybe even Capitol Reef. Moab is about five hours away from Denver.

The ski areas like Breckridge and Vail will be quiet by that time, just the usual shops/restaurants to keep you entertained. If you rent a four wheel drive vehicle, you can go offroad in the lower elevations and see some beautiful landscapes. Salida area offers white water rafting.

Hope you have a fun trip.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Gretchen

I don't think in 6 days you will have time to go to both Mesa Verde and the Rocky Mountain National Park (plus Denver, of course). So you may have to choose. Mesa VErde is a really impressive native American site. Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park is beautiful. If the Trail Ridge Road through RMNP is open you could go to Estes Park, through the Park and back down to I70 (can't remember route names). Then go through the high country--Vail and on to Aspen which was originally a small western town. That could be done in 3 days. Drive back to Denver from Aspen (about 4 hours) and spend the end of your trip there.
Denver has a fine art museum with a great many Indian artifacts which could be interesting to you. If there is a Rockies game, Coors Field is beautiful. Enjoy!!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:51 AM
kima

Good idea about Aspen. If you go stop in at Glenwood Springs for a soak in the mineral pool!

Jenny if you let us know what your interested in doing that would help narrow the ideas.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 10:54 AM
travellyn

For 6 days in May, I'd drive down to the Southwest corner and hang out there.

In May, trails in RMNP might be muddy, lots of trees won't have leafed out yet, and you might not be able to cross Trail Ridge Road. For June to September, I'd choose RMNP.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:52 PM
jenny

Well, running out of time so we are going to have to plan as we drive. Some of things we would like to see would be Eeste Park,Hot Sprints,Custer NP,Mt Rushmore,Crazy Horse,Badlands,Wall and Black Hills and anything else between. We have only six days so we will be on the go rather than relaxing...trying to see as much of the countryside and do the touristy things.We haven't actually planned the route so if anyone has any suggestions on where to first that would be great.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:00 PM
leigh

If those are the places you plan on visiting you should probably get your car in denver and drive North West to RMNP and Estes Park. Once you are done there, head back to Denver and if you plan on going into the mountains near Summit County or where most of the Ski Resorts are you will take Interstate 70 West. Then head back to Denver and hop onto Interstate 25 South towards Colorado Springs. You could drive up Pikes Peak while in Colo Springs, kind of a freaky drive but very high up. Just get a good Road Map of the U.S. such as Rand Mcnally and map out your course. You have a lot of places to see though in 6 days, not sure it will be feasible as this state is very big.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Connie

In my opinion, if you are wanting to see the west, the sites you mention above are not some of the best.

For Colorado, those menitoned by others above are great choices.

If you want to go north, head to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. You could swing over to Mt. Rushmore, Custer, etc on your way back to Denver.

Expect long days of driving to get to the places you are planning to see.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 03:37 PM
xxx

Yes, most of the places you listed are in South Dakota and not very spectacular. Just look-at-it-and-go type of places.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 04:06 PM
aaaaaaaa

I liked the Colo Springs area
lso, Central City