Reload this Page >

Denver hotels: Brown Palace, Monaco, Teatro

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 12:43 PM
Diane

Going to be in Denver on business in early March. Which of these hotels would you select? Or is there a better choice? How is the health club at the Hyatt Regency?

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 12:57 PM
Teresa

Diane,
We're staying at Hotel Monaco over Christmas break--will write a report when we get back. I've never stayed at the Brown Palace but my daughter and I had tea there this summer and it was absolutely beautiful, with extraordinary service. It's definitely on my list of places to stay in the future.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:01 PM
Patrick

Stayed at the Brown Palace last summer and it was truly a beautiful room, with great and friendly service from the staff. The only disappointment was that I had mistakenly expected some remnants of period decor. It was like any other really nicely furnished modern hotel. We had just come from the Jerome in Aspen and guess we were expecting more of the same.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 09:21 AM
David

Diane,

I have stayed at all three of these hotels and would take any one of them over the Hyatt. All three are in pretty good locations and offer ease of access to downtown shops, restaurants, etc. and all three are going to have much more interesting ambiances than the Hyatt. Following are my takes on them:

1. Brown Palace: Approximately 110 years old, the "Brown" was THE first atrium-style hotel in North America (other atrium-style hotels such as Embassy Suites based their atrium designs on it). This is a beautiful brownstone building with an interior built from rose quartz, onyx and Italian marble. While many of the rooms are modern in decor, some still offer many period touches--and all (I believe) feature modern conveniences such as computer ports, dual-line phones, etc.

The atrium/lobby is simply stunning (formal tea is held there each afternoon) and the hotel features three restaurants and cigar/scotch/cognac room called "Churchill's." Ellyngton's is their breakfast, lunch and brunch room (they offer three "tiers" of champaign brunches from Chandon to Dom Perignon) the Ship Tavern is open for lunch/dinner (neat old nautical theme) and the Palace Arms is their Napoleonic four-star, four-diamond, continental cuisine, multi-award winning restaurant: they just don’t build them like this anymore.

2. Hotel Teatro: Very cool and modern art-deco hotel on the west side of downtown. The Teatro used to be a Wyndham property but was recently purchased by a private concern. The rooms aren’t huge but are nicely appointed and feature many modern conveniences. Corner rooms (I believe) tend to be a bit larger and corner rooms on the ninth floor share a wrap-around balcony offering views of either downtown Denver or the mountains (the corner we stayed in had both!).

This is a more intimate hotel with a small lobby, stellar service and two fine restaurants. One restaurant is called the Bistro (I think) and is quite casual and the other is called Kevin Taylor’s . KT’s is another four-star. four-diamond restaurant owned and operated by a famous regional chef. The Teatro is also within very-easy walking distance of Larimer Square (an historic area with lots of shops, restaurants, etc.) the theatre district and the convention center. I really like this hotel.

3. Hotel Monaco: As you’re probably aware, the Hotel Monaco is part of a very small and selective chain of hotels that have properties in about half a dozen cities. While this is a more casual “boutique”-style hotel it is none-the-less very comfortable, quite nicely appointed and also offers good service. The rooms are fairly good-sized, offer all the modern amenities and some of them even have nine-foot beds (for traveling basketball teams).

Located on the east side of downtown, the hotel only features one restaurant but it is a great one. Panzano’s offers its own unique take on Italian food and is worth a visit even if you’re not staying in the hotel. Their chef (Jennifer something) is a rising star in the world of food (she trained with Wolfgang Puck) and her preparations creations to behold. While not quite as conveniently located as the other two hotels, The Monaco is still within walking distance of most things.

I hope this is of some help to you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Davidcs

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Teresa

David,
Panzano's is on our list to try when we stay at the Monaco later this month--any idea how soon we'll have to make reservations? I've been burned at Vesta Dipping Grill for not calling soon enough so am curious.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:28 AM
David

Teresa,

If you already have reservations for the hotel, why not pick a night now for the time you're going to be there? I can't imagine you'll have a problem during the week, however, on the weekend (especially if there's a conference in town and the hotel is booked) you may wish to book at least a week (or two) in advance.

Davidcs

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Breckboy

I also have stayed at all three, numerous times. I would rate the hotels Monaco, Brown, Teatro. Monaco is cool, you can run into celebrities, the restaurant has a good reputation. Brown is pricier, one of those classic hotels that if you're not paying, then it goes to the number one spot. The Teatro is a contemporary newer hotel in an old building, but it has always been noisy when I stayed there. It is close to lower downtown, or LODO, and you know when the bars let out from the yelling down on the streets.

I prefer the Westin over the Hyatt. Never stayed at Adams Mark. The Oxford is popular with some, but not me.

Good luck!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Diane

Thanks to all---great info!
Diane

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Teresa

Just got back tonight from a weekend trip to Denver. We stayed (for the first time) at the Hotel Monaco. I was...kind of impressed. There were many special things about the hotel but little details were constantly overlooked by the hotel staff. The positives? First: location. Great. One block north of the 16th Street Mall, we walked everywhere--shopping, restaurants and to the performance of Mamma Mia at the Buell (FABULOUS!!!). Second: decor. Funky, fun and definitely different from anything else in Denver. Third: the very popular wine reception from 5-6 every evening. Hotel staff serves complimentary, unlimited wine in front of the lobby's roaring fire while also offering free chair massages. It's a great way to meet and chat with fellow hotel guests--my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In comparison, the negatives were minor but annoying. Our bathroom had a pocket door that wouldn't stay on its hinge--you'd have to use bodily force to get the dumb thing shut plus it never did close all the way. Housekeeping provided a nice turn-down service each night but took ALL of our washcloths (dirty and clean) both nights then didn't replace them. It only took one phone call each night and housekeeping brought more up but even so...They also neglected to clean the room each day--basically replaced towels and made the beds and that was it. Sinks and the tub weren't touched. Very bizarre. The worst thing was the slightly moldy smell that permeated the interior of the hotel and our room. Ugh. I know--pretty small things and I sound picky but when I'm staying at a hotel of that caliber I expect the details to be right. I should say that we're not motel snobs or overly demanding--Holiday Inn Express sees plenty of us on soccer trips, etc. We enjoyed the hotel but don't think we'll stay there again. Oh, we didn't eat at Panzano but did enjoy dessert there one night--it was great. Our family's favorite Denver area hotel is still the Omni Interlocken in Boulder/Broomfield...a quick 20 minutes or so from downtown Denver. Guess I'll keep my search going for the 'perfect' downtown Denver hotel.

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm bringing this to the top to get some more thoughts. I am going to be in Denver for Memorial Day weekend. The Hyatt is relatively inexpensive ($99/night), as is the Loews ($109/night, including breakfast and some other amenities). Monaco, Brown Palace and Teatro are all somewhat more expensive.

My understanding is that the main drawback to the Loews is its location. Is this true? Am I better off at the Hyatt?

Any other thougths & recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 11:13 AM

the hyatt and the monaco are very close to each other, probably three or four blocks away. The loews is out of the way. I loved the monaco's rooms although it has a terrible business center. I will probably stay at the hyatt next time I am there
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 11:15 AM

One more thing -- you have to eat at VESTA Dipping Grill. It is best restuarant in Denver.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:47 PM

Loews is a very comfortable hotel, but it is several miles to Downtown. If you want peace and quiet, I don't recommend the Hyatt. The doors bang and you can hear people in the halls at odd hours. We used to stay at the Hyatt until we discovered the Monaco. It has been a while, though, and may have gone south a bit. I know the chain's head guy passed away last year.

The Brown has always been first class and I wouldn't be surprised if you can get a good deal over the holiday weekend.

And I agree about Vesta, it is an awesome restaurant. My only problem is every time I go I get the tuna and have never tried anything else, at least 6 or more times!