Denver - Dinner on a Budget?

Old Jul 6th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denver - Dinner on a Budget?

I will be taking a solo adventure out west in about 10 days. I am flying in and out of Denver and will spend a few nights there, but will also be venturing all over the place... including parts of WY, MT, SD, and NE. I am sure it will wear me out but I love an active vacation. =)

Anyway, my first two nights have me in Westminster. I do not mind driving to other areas in/around Denver for a good meal... so I am not locked into Westminster.

My final night I am actually further north, in Fort Collins.

Anyway, here is my quandary. I want to have a few enjoyable or memorable meals while in Denver... but need to keep the cost relatively low. Typically, when I travel solo, I find places where I can just order my dinner at the bar rather than get a table for one. I see posts and The Fort and Buckhorn, and love the idea of trying elk or Buffalo or getting a nice steak, but the prices seemed a bit high. I can get a low-cost meal at chains... but what fun is that?

Any recommendations for non-chain, affordable meals in the Denver area? Anything from the affordable local restaurant to a classic diner or greasy spoon is welcome advice.

Hopefully there is something out there. As always, thanks for your help!

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 03:31 AM

There are really good and delicious inexpensive Vietnamese restaurants. I'll let someone from Denver supply the major street they are on. I think the name of the one we like is Little Saigon.
I think the wild meat houses are going to be expensive, even at the bar!
However the entrees at Luca's are quite reasonable, I think. One of the best meals we've had and very fine cuisine.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 07:49 AM

You can get buffalo burgers on a budget at Ted's Montana Grill, on Larimer Square in Denver. It's not cheap or greasy, but it's reasonable and a fun atmosphere.

Two chains that are good for fresh grilled Mexican-style food are Qdoba and Chipotle. You will see them all over town. Another one in Cherry Creek North is Chez Jose. At each of them, you stand in line to order, then take your food to a table.

There are lots of great Mexican restaurants in Denver.

In downtown Denver, the Wazee Supper Club is a great place for pizza and sandwiches. It's been there forever, and for good reason.

On 17th Avenue, just east of downtown, is one of our favorite reasonably-priced restaurants: the Avenue Grill. It's very nice, and has a fresh fish sandwich on its dinner menu.

I'll try to think of more.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:10 AM

The gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches at Chedd's are awesome!

Chedd's was featured on Good Morning America here in NYC, the sandwiches are so good.

(And it's not a chain; it's owned by residents of Denver.)
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 09:36 AM

there's nothing wrong with Qdobo or Chipotle, but they are chains. Not that special.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Four I can think of--
Three are on east 17th Avenue
Steubens http://www.steubens.com/

Limon
http://www.limondenver.com/press/reviews.html

Aix http://www.restaurantaix.com/

And one on south Broadway

Deluxe http://www.deluxedenver.com/
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Qdoba and Chipotle actually originated here in Denver or Boulder. They started from the same place, then split in two.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:59 PM

Chipotle is also one of the co-sponsors of one of two U.S. cycling team participating in the Toue de France and is hugely popular here, chain or not.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great responses so far! I really appreciate all of these suggestions and others that might still come in.

Regarding Qdoba and Chipotle... they are actually perfectly fine suggestions for me. Yes, I said "no chains" but I also have never seen one before. I may have driven by a Qdoba once, but I have never seen a Chipotle. So... they may be a chain... but it would still be somewhat "unique" to an east-coast guy totally unfamiliar with them. Whenever I am home in Massachusetts from Delaware, for example, I always get a lunch at Papa Gino's. It is a chain pizza joint, but I grew up around it and miss it in Delaware. Likewise, I am told there is a Sonic in Scottsbluff, NE. I may have to stop for some food. Fast food chain? Yes. But, I have never seen one, so it would be an experience. Sadly, I did not get to an In&Out Burger while in San Diego. =)

So... the core of all my rambling here is just that small exception to the "no chains" idea... it is okay if it is something we don't have on the east coast, because it would still be unique to me.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 03:31 AM

How about spaghetti? There is a fantastic place in Louisville called The Blue Parrot. Used to look like a greasy spoon, but they had a roof fire and redecorated. Same family has owned and operated since 1912. Fabulous fat noodles that I have never seen anywhere else and Louisville downtown is sort of cute to walk around.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 04:14 AM

There are Sonics in Kansas also, so you might not need to "aim" at Scotts Bluff.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 07:37 AM

There are Sonics in Denver now, too.

One more thing about Chipotle-- for some reason it's a magnet for twenty-somethings. I guess because it's affordable, decorated kind of cool, service is young and hip, and the food is relatively healthy.

There are many located near college campuses for that reason. Anyway, my son could (and usually does) eat at Chipotle everyday: fajita chicken burrito, in fact! Now, they sell things 'naked', so you can get the burrito fillings in a bowl. Also good salads.

If you try one, let us know if it's on your list of must-eat 'chains'!

Will you be going to Boulder? Sounds like you'd like it there. It's very unique, gorgeous setting, beautiful campus there, lots of restaurants to serve student budgets, good hiking nearby in Chatauqua Park. Also live music in Chatauqua's theater, and more expensive dining at their Dining Hall.

From Westminster, you might be equi-distant to Boulder and Denver.

If you go to Boulder, my daughter's favorite Mexican there is Illegal Pete's (they are also in Denver now, too). Similar idea as Chipotle, but different taste.

If in Boulder, go to the campus and walk around. Then visit the Hill, across from CU, for student-oriented eats and shops. You'll find Illegal Pete's, Half-fast Subs, and the venerable Sink (also buffalo burgers there). Splurge on lunch at the Teahouse-- sitting outside by the creek is definitely a Boulder experience.

Have fun out here!
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 09:12 AM

There's reasonable options right in Westminster - however: if you're into going downtown Denver (which riding on the bus is a great option, esp. from Westminster), my favorite is Wynkoop Brewpub. One of the original brewpubs founded by Denver's mayor Mr. Hickenlooper. Great beer and good food (including buffalo burgers - and this is coming from a vegetarian in Boulder!) The Boulder suggestions were all good - but don't forget that Fort Collins has a nice downtown also with lots of brewpubs (at least this was true a few years ago - I suspect it still is).

BTW - re Chipotle - my kids love it (12, 10 y.o.) and we go there regularly from work for lunch. But bottom line, it's a burrito place.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:06 AM

I definitely recommend Boulder. The Med restaurant has an excellent happy hour (half-priced tapas, and some drinks) and has great atmosphere. Sherpa's is a Nepalese restaurant owned by a former Nepalese sherpa, very unique atmosphere and food, relatively inexpensive.
Fort Collins, you have to tour the New Belgium Brewing Company, you've probably never heard of them if you're from the East Coast but they're a VERY popular brewer - 9th largest in the US - (Fat Tire Ale is their most famous), and it's free, which is great since you're on a budget.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:50 AM

In Westminster:

Hacienda Colorado (TexMex cuisine) on the west side of the Boulder Turnpike (U.S. Hwy 36) at the 104th Ave/Church Ranch Road exit.

There is a Teds Montana Grill (great buffalo bergers) on 120th Ave. at Bradburn Blvd (the entrance to a new subdivision between Sheridan and Federal Blvds). They're a chain, but the food is good and you can eat at the bar.

Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwich shop on the south side of 104th about 2 blocks east of Federal Blvd.