Search

Denali Bus tours

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2012, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denali Bus tours

I understand that the only way to get into Denali is by way of some tourbus, and that you can opt for a short or long version lasting up to 8 hours. Any suggestions on which one of the long version options to take, and are the travel guides wrong where they say there are no rest rooms on the bus. My length of time in and surrounding the Park will be determined by if I in fact do take this tour.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 08:48 AM

We did an eight hour tour of Denali- there were no BRs on the bus but they did make a couple of potty stops. There is spot where all the buses stop at a public rest area.

We were on a tour bus arranged my the cruise line we were with- it was a nice trip- we had a grizzly right beside the bus -
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 09:04 AM

There are 'shuttle busses' that are inexpensive and let you get on and off, and there are 'Tundra Tours' that are more expensive, won't let you get off/on except at break points and don't go as far into the park.

This earlier thread has a lot of info/opinions. I personally prefer the shuttle bus to either Eielson (8 hours) or Wonder Lake (12 hours).

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...rk-shuttle.cfm

"are the travel guides wrong where they say there are no rest rooms on the bus"

They are right about this but there are bathroom breaks at several places, depending on which tour you take. For example, shuttle busses stop at some combo of Teklanika (34 miles), Polychrome Pass, Toklat River, Eielson Visitor center and Wonder Lake.

Not really a problem unless you have a tiny bladder.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 11:36 AM

actually we will just use the Shuttle Bus.
http://www.reservedenali.com/play/sh...kantishna.aspx
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 11:50 AM

We took a 10-12 hour trip that involved lunch and a stop of several hours at the end of the road. I am glad we did it, but some things I wish I knew. (I forget the actual name of the tour we took - perhaps something like wildlife tour, but not really sure)

1. It is in a school bus. That is a long time in a school bus.

2. Bathroom breaks are every 2-3 hours at Park rest areas.

3. The road in/out of Denali is about 2 inches wider than the school bus and there are no guard rails. Sometimes it is a really, really long way down as you stare and imagine your demise. Then you meet up with another school bus and they inch past each other on the edge of this cliff. I do not like heights, switchbacks on roads and found this terrifying. But the views are fantastic.

4. You will see animals. They may be napping along the roadway (as were some grizzlies), a hundred feet off (as was a moose family) or some dot in the distance. Animals per mile ratio is not great.

5. You may or may not get a good view of Denali/McKinley - often the top is in mist or clouds.

6. Lunch at the trip end is OK. But then create some limited activites to kill time - a treasure hunt, short hike.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 11:54 AM

I highly recommend the park shuttle to Wonder Lake.

If you're lucky, you'll get to see a lot of wildlife along the route, and if you're really lucky, you'll have clear weather and get to see Mt. McKinley.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 12:43 PM

Gail...#3: I totallly agree with you! We rode the shuttle bus to the Eielson Visitor Center and it was terrifying riding 2,500 ft. up on the edge of a gravel mountain road without guardrails! I wish there was another way to do it. The scenery was wonderful and we got to see caribou, grizzlies, Dall sheep, and a wolf carrying what I think was a caribou leg in its mouth. What an experience!