Reload this Page >

Delta Doesn't Deliver!

Search

Delta Doesn't Deliver!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 03:38 AM
cherylforeurope

Delta Doesn't Deliver!

Yesterday I was scheduled for a 6:30am flight arriving at my destination at 11am. At 3am I
receive a call from Delta informing me my first flight was delayed (due to a schedule error not allowing the pilot enough rest time) causing me to miss my connection so they rebooked me on a different carrier leaving at 9:25 am. Upon arrival at the airport I learn I was booked on the 9:25 for the following day. Then I'm informed the only flight they can get me on that day would
get me to my destination at 5:30....6 1/2 hrs
after my original flight. Too late I say, I'm going for a wedding at 4 and arriving that late would also cause the person picking me up to miss the wedding. So I ended up cancelling the trip. Needless-to-say, I am
furious with Delta and the treatment I received at the airport......nothing but a
"that's life, too bad", attitude. So, I'm venting my anger and frustration. Thanks fodorites!

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just curious...did you call or go online to reconfirm a day or two before your flight? Our family trip to Grenada WOULD have become the same fiasco if I hadn't called the day before to reconfirm. They too decided there was too little rest time for the crew and had cancelled the first flight. I had the advantage of picking the makeup flights myself a day ahead of time (they had chosen FOUR connecting flights - I was able to do it in three). Another reason why those 6 AM flights stink! (BTW the airline was American)
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 05:43 AM

More shameless screwups by the airlines. Awful.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 05:45 AM

I don't blame you, I've had some things like that happen to me, also. I think nowadays, you just can't count on booking a flight like that for a special event the same day, unless it's a flight corridor that has many commuter flights every hour all day long (like Washington-NY). It's too risky, and I think you have to fly a day ahead to make sure.

I had the same thing happen to me once with America West, where they cancelled a flight for mechanical reasons on Christmas Eve, and said they would put me on a wait list for a flight about 8 hours later (and wouldn't guarantee I'd get on it). This was for a one-hour flight, and I would have missed the entire day. I just told them to forget it, and drove instead (about 450 miles) and got there before I would have by the later flight. I did feel sorry for the people for which that was only a connecting flight and didn't have that option, as they could have missed Christmas with their families.

I know business travelers probably do book flights for the same day for meetings and can't afford to spend a lot of extra time overnight in places, but for personal special functions, I think you just can't book things so tightly nowadays.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:20 AM
cherylforeurope

In response to Joan - Yes, I had checked in online about 10 pm the night before...everything was still okay at that
time.

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Contact Delta customer service by phone...you are due further compensation. They are required, when delay causes a missed connection, to get you to your destination within a reasonable time...even if they put you on another carrier. Putting you on a flight THE FOLLOWING DAY was just a mistake by the Delta agent...but it is a mistake that they have to compensate you for, either a future credit in the amt of your original ticket, or a free ticket for later, etc. . And you can tell them that Joe said so!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:45 AM

For the future...remember the following.

If you are booked on a flight, and it is delayed, and it is likely to make you miss your connection in the next city, the airline is REQUIRED to find you another route, even if it means putting you on a nonstop on another airline. EVEN if first class is the only thing available...they have to do it.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES stand in line at the ticket counter and hash it out with the nasty gate agents when you have a problem like Cheryl did. GET ON THE PHONE, use the airlines 800 number, and take care of it over the phone. For one thing, why stand on line with 50 other irate customers when you can handle it all with one quick phone call? For another thing...they are much more likely to do things "by the book" over the phone. If they don't, ask to speak to a supervisor and tell them that you are recording the call!

One more tip. After they re-book you on the phone, they might tell you that you have to go back to the counter and get a paper ticket, to show at your new airline. You don't have to go back to the crowded nasty counter of your original flight to do this....go to any ticket counter for that airline or any gate that is less crowded.

If you have checked baggage, changing airlines after having already checked in is a real hassle. Most people prefer to stick to the same airline when that happens. Try to travel with just carry-ons whenever possible!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:46 AM

For the future...remember the following.

If you are booked on a flight, and it is delayed, and it is likely to make you miss your connection in the next city, the airline is REQUIRED to find you another route, even if it means putting you on a nonstop on another airline. EVEN if first class is the only thing available...they have to do it.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES stand in line at the ticket counter and hash it out with the nasty gate agents when you have a problem like Cheryl did. GET ON THE PHONE, use the airlines 800 number, and take care of it over the phone. For one thing, why stand on line with 50 other irate customers when you can handle it all with one quick phone call? For another thing...they are much more likely to do things "by the book" over the phone. If they don't, ask to speak to a supervisor and tell them that you are recording the call!

One more tip. After they re-book you on the phone, they might tell you that you have to go back to the counter and get a paper ticket, to show at your new airline. You don't have to go back to the crowded nasty counter of your original flight to do this....go to any ticket counter for that airline or any gate that is less crowded.

If you have checked baggage, changing airlines after having already checked in is a real hassle. Most people prefer to stick to the same airline when that happens. Try to travel with just carry-ons whenever possible, or at least have everything you need for the first night in your carry-on.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Go with Joe - he's right on about this. If you should ever have the misfortune to wind up in this situation again, do not hesitate to ask that you be rebooked on another carrier. If the only seat on another carrier is in a higher class of service, they still must book you on it if it will get you to your destination earlier than the next seat they can provide on their own flight. If the agent with whom you are dealing claims to be unable to do this, ask for the supervisor. If the supervisor also claims igorance or inability to do the rebooking, immediately call the reservation line and ask for a supervisor. Keep going up a level until you get what you need, and be sure to get the name of everyone with whom you speak. the Check out Delta's contgract of carriage at http://www.delta.com/pdfs/contract_of_carriage_dom.pdf
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:56 AM

Joe or Seamus: When you call the 800# for the airline to rebook do you speak to the reservation agent who answers or ask for a supervisor?
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:58 AM

Sorry Seamus didn't read your entire post. In other words if the reservation agent can't help ASK to speak to a supervisor politey.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:21 AM

I just had a similar screwup happen to me. While everyone else piled in line at the gate, I got on the phone with Delta. Forever and ever. Finally they told me that they couldn't do anything that it would have to be handled at the gate. And I'm a Platinum medallion Frequent Flyer. So then I got in line for more abuse. They eventually got their plane in (mechanical problems) and got us through to Dallas where I missed my connection. They then claimed there were no flights they could put us on, other than Southwest -- SW was at another airport, not DFW, and they said they didn't have to do that.

So getting on the phone might have worked at one time, and that's what I did in the past, but it didn't work for me as of last weekend.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:42 AM

This happened to us once when we flew Delta to NYC - on BOTH legs of our roundtrip flights! The day before we left Delta told us our early Friday morning flight to NYC was cancelled, their idea of a solution was to put us on a Saturday evening flight. Considering that we had show tickets for Friday evening, this was unacceptable and I politely told them so. Then they wanted to fly us into NYC on Thursday; I asked if they were picking us the hotel bill that we would have to pay because they changed our flight - they said "no". I was polite, but persistent, and finally they put us on another carrier. At the end of the weekend were at LGA and found that our flight back home had been cancelled too. One of us stood in line, the other got on the phone, no real luck on the phone because we were on hold so long the actual line moved faster. The man ahead of us threw a huge hissy fit and from what I could tell didn't get the situation resolved to his satisfaction (gee I wonder why?). We approached the counter and inquired what could be done. They offered to put us up for the night (at the airport not in the city which sounded less than appealing). My husband asked if there were any other flights that Delta could possibly get us on that evening. A few clicks on the keyboard and the agent had re-booked us on another carrier on a flight out of JFK. She then arranged a car service to take us to the other airport. Although we were satisfied with the end results on both legs of our trip, I haven't booked a flight on Delta since.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Regarding the car service Delta arranged for us between LGA and JFK - without even having to ask, they paid for the service.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:44 AM

To joesorce: Thank you for all the valuable info you're providing. I have a question. Does this only apply if both flights were with the same airline? What about in the event where you're ticketed on a connecting flight with another carrier? Is the first airline causing the delay still responsible?

Also, Tandoori Girl, I would think Delta would have been responsible for providing transportation for you over to the other airport (Love Field?) in order to fufill their obligation. They probably have shuttle vans available. After all, don't airlines have to put you up overnight if there are substantial delays, and they provide transportation both ways. Just my random thoughts. BTW, Tandoori Girl, what was your final result? Did Delta do ANYTHING for you?
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Judy, I believe that if the connection was booked as part of the same ticket i.e., a partner or code-share, then the responsibility for getting you through to your final destination rests with your originating carrier. If you bought separate r/t tickets, such as one r/t to NY and another r/t to London, then the first carrier is only responsible for getting you to NY and back, but not for the missed flight to London.

On the other hand, we had an "experience" in December where we were flying from St. Louis to Melbourne Australia on American. 3 hours before the non-stop flight to LAX was to leave, it was cancelled. Our connection in LAX was on a Qantas flight, an AA partner. They moved heaven and earth to get us to LA on time, by way of a change in Chicago, but they would have been responsible for getting us to Melbourne had we missed the onward flight, as we bought the entire route through AA. If we had bought a United flight to LA and a Qantas flight to Melbourne, then UA wouldn't have been responsible for missing the Qantas flight and Qantas wouldn't have been responsible for us missing it. I greatly prefer booking through airline sites and staying within partner systems for this reason.

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 08:38 AM

Sounds like my American Airlines experiences.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 12:32 PM

Delta put me up overnight in Dallas comp. And they put me on first class on my trip back to Tampa, but I had already been wait listed for first class upgrades when I'd booked my flights. The only advantage in that case of calling Delta was that when I got to Dallas on my flight that had been sooo late (almost cancelled but showed up at last minute) and went to the Service Desk, they already had my flight arranged for the next AM, and already had me booked on first class.

The problem with what was going on with me was that I was flying late in the day and there weren't more flights to take. Delta sent me as far as Dallas, said they'd send me to Atlanta but that I wouldn't get in until midnight. I decided to just take the room and chill.

Also, they claimed they would give me double miles but I won't know that until it shows up, which is usually at least a month later. And I don't know if that applies to my entire flight or just that leg.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 02:17 PM

I once got stuck in Cincinnati with a missed connection...Delta put us up in a hotel that was a 1.5 hour drive from the airport and IN ANOTHER STATE! We had to wake up 1.5 hours after we got to the hotel just to catch the 1.5 hours bus ride back to the airport. Had we known the hotel was so far away, we would have just napped in an airport chair all night. They also gave us a restaurant voucher for the hotel...which had no restaurant!

Tandoori...sorry about your misfortune. Usually the only way that a phone agent wouldn't be able to help, is if the info isn't in the system yet. For instance, if the gate people know that there's a delay but haven't notified Delta yet, so the phone reservationist shows the flight still on schedule. In that case she wouldn't have the authority to make a change.

Also, BE PERSISTENT! I think these people are told not to give in unless they are threatened with bodily harm!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 02:47 PM

Did anyone see Airline last night? SW overbooked a flight by 53! passengers. Incredible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -