delano with kids-advice needed

Dec 3rd, 2001, 10:45 AM
shaggy

delano with kids-advice needed

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Miami with my two kids this summer. I wanted to stay at the Delano, but a friend of mine said she didn't think it was appropriate to stay there with kids. She's never seen kids there before. Does she know what she's talking about? They are 14 and 17 years old, well behaved, and have stayed at other "Upscale" hotels in other cities with no problems. Please post your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance

Dec 3rd, 2001, 12:00 PM
Native

I thought Delano was a town in California.

Native

Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:26 PM
shaggy

It may be a town in Ca., but it's also a hotel in Miami. Thanks anyway.

Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:40 PM
E. Guzman

Hi, I live on Miami Beach and your kids will have a great time at the Delano. It is a great, funky hotel right on Miami Beach with a great pool. You and your children will love it.

Dec 3rd, 2001, 05:43 PM
Native

My dear shaggy, you missed the point entirely.

Native

Dec 3rd, 2001, 05:50 PM
lisa

The Delano is one of the most romantic, sensual hotels I've ever stayed at - kids would be fine, they would like the place etc, but you would be missing the entire purpose of staying there!

Dec 4th, 2001, 05:17 AM
Sharon

The Delano is a gorgeous hotel. And you have to have dinner at the Blue Door, one of their restaurants.
I believe that your friend may be referring to the pool and beach. There is quite a bit of topless sunbathing.

Dec 4th, 2001, 05:19 AM
xxx

Sorry, I really have to disagree about taking your children. I've stayed a Delano several times, and it's one of my most favorite destinations. I'm sure your children are well behaved, but do you want to expose them to topless sunbathing (some by women of less than sterling repute- but I promise they can't drown!) This really is an adult destination. There are so many fabulous places to stay in Miami, and not just those that are family oriented, that I think you could make a better chioce. In all the times I've stayed there I have only seen children once, about ages 6-7, with a nanny. They were at the pool for about an hour. I travel extensively with my 8 year old, but not to Delano. Have a great trip!

Dec 4th, 2001, 10:03 AM
shaggy

Thanks for the replies. I guess a topless pool wouldn't be the best choice for my 13 year old son (although he'd probably disagree). Any other suggestions on where to stay. Some place nice with a pool on or near the beach for me and near shopping and "celeb" spotting for the kids. Thanks again.

p.s funny post Native

Dec 4th, 2001, 11:02 AM
sharon

I suggest the Fountainbleu or Doral in Miami Beach. It's a 3 minute cab ride to South Beach.

Dec 4th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Anthony

Alternates could be The Loews, or the Doubletree Surfcomber; there are several brand new ohtels opening by the time you go that are upscale, and you might want to checkout; The Crowne Plaza, and the Ritz Carlton, and the W South beach (which is now the Ritz Plaza, I Believe)

Dec 4th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Leslie

Shaggy - my husband and I have stayed at the Delano and the National next door. Topless sunbathing is done everywhere - including the beach. Several times during our stays the staff has asked them to put their tops on if children are present. I would not make this the reason you don't choose the Delano - your children are old enough to enjoy this hotel and they will be welcome.

Dec 5th, 2001, 08:15 AM
xxx

Ummmm, sorry, but I wasn't asked to put my top on because children were present. You might want to check out www.luxurylink.com- there is a special there for the new occidental that looks wonderful- Was at Doral for golf last Oct., great place but full of "conventioneers". Hear that Fountainbleu is a little run down. Key Biscayne may be an option- Do a search, seems I saw a rave about a resort there some time back. Again, have a great trip!!

Dec 5th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Leslie

Ummmmm I didn't say they always made them put their tops on.