Del Coronado

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 02:02 PM
jane

Del Coronado

Was wondering if the Del Coranado is still
the best hotel in San Diego and would like
to hear from someone who has stayed there
recently and what they thought about it??
Also, the resturants, beach, etc. TIA
Jane

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 03:33 PM
Keith

We go over to San Diego every summer for 4 or 5 days. We've tried the Le Meridien, the Del Coronado and the Loews Coronado Bay Resort. Our favorite is the Loews. It's newer, with much larger rooms, with just terrific service! You can't go wrong with the Hotel Del, but the Meridien was just average. Be sure to go to Clayton's Diner on Coronado Island. It is an authentic old diner, and breakfast is wonderful. Also recommend the Old Town Mexican Cafe. Hand made tortillas!

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 07:12 AM
SDSam

It depends on what you define as best. There are many first class hotels in the San Diego area with far better rooms than the Hotel Del Coronado. However the Hotel Del is special. It is a landmark and quite unique. It definitely has the best beach right out the door.

If you do stay in Coronado, make sure that you eat at Miguel's Cocina. It is located in a courtyard across the street from the Hotel Del Coronado. You can't see it from the street but it is located next to the Brigantine restaurant ( same owner ). Miguel's Cocina has excellent Mexican food with a great ambience at a very reasonable price.

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Stan

I agree with previous posters...the del Coronado is no longer the "grande dame" of San Diego but she is special. I've stayed there and enjoyed it, but now choose either the Loews or US Grant, depending on whether I want the beach or city atmosphere.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 01:23 PM
casey

I heard that the Del is under construction, you may want to inquire about the noise, etc. before making a reservation..

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 05:46 AM
Kirsten

Check out this web site before going to San Diego:
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/6242/

It really helped us with our trip. Wally knows his stuff. Have a great time!

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 09:52 AM
jan

Just came back from visiting San Diego and saw the Del. I would not recommend it if the visit is soon as its under construction. Lots of area torn up and detours walking around it. It was still nice inside but would hate to stay near the construction area.