DECENT/ NOT EXPENSIVE HOTEL IN CHICAGO?

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:52 AM
LISA

DECENT/ NOT EXPENSIVE HOTEL IN CHICAGO?

MY FRIEND & I WILL BE GOING TO CHICAGO THE WEEKEND OF MAY 17TH. WE ARE BOOKED AT THE ESSEX INN, BUT FROM WHAT I'M READING ABOUT IT, IT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE TOO NICE. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A HOTEL IN THE $130 - $160 PER NIGHT RANGE THAT IS CLOSE TO THE CITY'S ATTRACTIONS? ALSO, WHAT UNSAFE AREAS OF CHICAGO SHOULD WE AVOID??
THANX!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Don

See BiddingForTravel.com--most Priceline-rated 4* downtown Chicago hotels seem to be going for $65 or less (and often below $50). I think the North Michigan Avenue area is close to the tourism attractions, but someone else who knows Chicago can correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope this helps...

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:27 AM
cd

Hi Lisa
Please go to http://www.877chicago.com/hotels_wd.html
This is a list of all hotels and where they are located and their prices. There are quite a few in your price range. Chicago is a wonderful town - you will love it! ps (turn off your "caps", it's considered shouting and harder to read)

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:55 AM
MD4

Also try www.quikbook.com- they have great rates for what they promise are only nice hotels. I booked the Seneca in April for $89/night. Haven't stayed there before, but from the hotel's web site it looks nice and it's right off Michigan Ave. They have quite a few to choose from and you can pick your price range.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:33 AM
x

I stay at Lenox Suites often for business. It's at Rush and Ontario in the heart of things and they often run a $119 special.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:50 AM
xx

I would recommend Quikbook far and away over Priceline. I've looked at their 3 and 4 star hotels and they rather stretch their definition of certain areas. Plus you have to take what they assign you rather than choosing your own hotel. Quikbook has a lot of hotels in that price range--the Monaco is a nice boutique hotel, for example.
Hotels to be avoided if possible: the Congress, the Days Inn (marginal quality) and the Quality Inn "Downtown" (horrible). I think the Holiday Inn City Centre is better than the Mart Plaza location. The Mart Plaza HI has a lot of dark corners in it on its room floors, not something I'd recommend to a woman traveling alone (although you won't be in this case).
Cancel the Essex. You can do a lot better (but rebook somewhere nicer BEFORE you cancel!).

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:55 PM
lee

yes, skip the essex. i work down the street. skip it! if the above posting is right, and you can get hotel monaco, go for it. smaller hotel. nice. anything river north should get you in a pretty good location. downtown is fine, but a bit deserted at night, and river north is still very close.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Rosemary

We recently stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites, River North area, should be easily within your price range, - clean hotel, good location, seemed safe!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Dave

another vote for Lenox Suites hotel. We got it with Priceline for $60 last year and loved it.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Lisa

Thanx for all your help guys! I am now looking into the Seneca Hotel - got a decent rate of $89 per night - even lower than what we were going to spend at the Essex.
*** Still would appreciate some advise on unsafe areas to avoid in Chicago.
Thanx in advance!!