Reload this Page >

Decent airfare to HNL at Christmas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Candace

We want to go from Chicago to Hawaii for the Christmas season 2.5 weeks. What would be a reasonable price? It's been very high but right now AA is offering a $850 flight which seems very high still to me but $260 cheaper than other flights.

Old May 25th, 2002, 08:40 AM
patg

Candace, is that for the non-stop? If so, that is the ONLY non-stop from ORD to HNL. Once those seats are gone you are looking at 2.5 to 4 hours extra of travel time each way. Factor that into your decision. $850 is reasonable for that flight anytime, so I would grab it.

Old May 25th, 2002, 08:47 AM
xxxxx

Airfare sales will start again at the end of summer. Christmas is low season in hawaii but travel will pick up immed. after. Travel rates are always high 7 months in advance.

Old May 25th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Candace

The airfare wasn't for a nonstop. The travel books I have read say that Christmas and NewYears weeks are highest travel weeks in HI. So I don't think it can be low season that's why I have been worried.

Old May 25th, 2002, 01:28 PM
patg

I see, it's the special fare through San Jose, CA. The thing I don't like about that is the 13+ hour travel time.

I've been watching that route for six months for a good summer fare and the lowest I've spotted (for early June) was just under $700. The last time we went to Hawaii (April, 1998) we paid $700 for the non-stop, which was a very good price.

There are several carriers offering fares in the low $900's, so I don't think this is a life and death decision. Personally, I wouldn't expect fares to go much lower.

Old May 25th, 2002, 01:48 PM
xxxxx

I wrote in above, I travel to Hawaii 3X per year, several times at XMas, the fares are always best 3-4 mos or so before travel for that time period. The fares will be high if you are departing 12/27, not returning. Looking for air rates 7 months in advance is way too soon to see any sales, those are "rack rates".

Old May 26th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Candace

Thanks for the responses. We are planning to leave Chicago on the 18th returning the 4th. I guess I'll wait for a couple more months and see what happens.