Search

DC With Kids!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC With Kids!

We will be in DC July29-Aug1 for a few days with our kids, 16, 8, 4, would love some ideas for great local food, and a hotel choice (budget-moderate --upscale)We are giving each of our kids a choice for the sight they want to visit. Any info greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Family freindly dining suggestions:

http://www.matchboxdc.com/

http://www.chophouse.com/DCHome.php?FKLocationID=10092

http://www.oyamel.com/

California Tortilla (7th & H s.t)http://www.californiatortilla.com/

http://www.ellaspizza.com/

Potbelly (12 & F st.)
http://www.potbelly.com/

http://www.famousluigis.com/
Snack:
http://www.giffords.com/ (11th & F St.)

Hotel suggestions:

budget - Red Roof Inn Chinatown
moderate - Jury's Washington (on Dupont Circle)
upscale - Hotel Monoco
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 04:58 PM

The Lion King is playing at the Kennedy Center...
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM

If you've got any sports fanatics in the family, my 14 y/o son absolutely loved eating and playing games at ESPNZone earlier this month. I'll even go so far to say that I had the Classic Burger, and it was a really good burger.

If you'll clip the coupon in a tourist guide or two, you can get a couple of $10 game cards free with the purchase of said classic burger menu item. Plus there's no limit on the number of coupons per table, so if at least two of you order the burger, both the 16 and 8 y/o could get a card.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, we are leaning towards reserving something downtown perhaps. To be close to everything. What time do you suggest to get to the National Archives in the morning during the week? Also has anyone ever been to 2amys, it is highly recommended in alot of my travel books. The lion king is interesting, we have seen it but not my two youngest. Also want to make a trip to Georgetown for the oldest to check out for college!
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:03 AM

I like the Marriott Wardman Park - very close to Dupont Circle with many great restaurants nearby. The metro is right there and it is walkable to the National Zoo. Visit www.washingtonwalks.com to read about some walking tours you can take for $10 each - no reservations necessary. The Spy Museum is somewhat fun for the young ones and,of course, any of the museums on the mall are so worthwhile if you've never been there. Enjoy.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM

bookmarking
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:42 AM

We went to DC over April vacation and I took my 9 y.o. son to the National Archives. You can get anadvance reservation to get in there. Just google National Archives and the how to information on reservations will show up somewhere in there. We chose our date and entry time and it was a breeze, really glad we reserved ahead especially when I saw the very lengthy regular admission line.
By the way...a wonderful experience for both young and old alike.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 03:11 PM

Lived in SW DC for almost 15 years, so no suggestions for lodging, and not too many ideas for family restaurants either, other than the typical California Pizza Kitchen, etc. There are lots of reasonably priced ethnic choices in the Adams Morgan neighborhood if you're adventurous, but the 4-year-old may not be impressed with the menus. The upside, though, is that so much to see and do is free, you can afford to spend more on the food and hotel. Plan to spend a good amount of time around the mall, the long grassy area between the US Capitol and the Washington Monument. It's very hot that time of year, so you can move in and out of the air-conditioned museums located along the sides of the mall. You'll spend more time in some museums than others, depending on the interests of the kids, and may want to skip some museums altogether if you're pressed for time. There are maps and brochures available everywhere once you get there, so you'll have no trouble finding your way around. You'll also run across some outdoor waterworks, statues, a carousel, refreshment stands, etc. Additionally, you'll be in the vicinity of the really big monuments which shouldn't be passed up. For some people, a drive-by suffices. And I'd recommend doing that one night before you leave because everything looks really majestic lit up. But just once you ought to also get up close to the statues of Jefferson and Lincoln in their memorials. Climb the steps and enjoy the views. The kids won't soon forget it. When you visit Mr. Jefferson, if you have time and the extra energy, take a walk around the Tidal Basin. It's a great walk even without the cherry blossoms. There are lots of benches to rest on, and some of the views are breathtaking. Take in the FDR Memorial with all its stunning waterfalls, the Wall for Vietnam Vets, the larger-than-life and oft overlooked bronze of Einstein just across the street from the Wall and outside the National Academy of Sciences, the Korean War Memorial and the newer World War II Memorial. All these things are within walking distance if everyone is in reasonably good physical condition, but you will be carrying the 4-year-old (or pushing a stroller, over the gravel of the mall pathways) a lot. It's a full 2-3 days for sure. Not too far across the river, you'll find Arlington Cemetery. This can be walked too, but I wouldn't recommend it for your short stay. Take the metro/subway or drive, if you squeeze it in, and unless it's important to you for some reason and you have the time to spend for a walking tour there, plan to pay for a drive thru tour. A big freebie is the National Zoo, and you could easily spend a day there. There's so much more in the area, but you'll never have time for everything. Good luck and have a great vacation.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 05:08 PM

topping
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all to the great info, we decided to book the Park Hyatt and plan on walking everywhere and also using the metro. I did prebook the spy musuem, national archives, twilight tour, washington monument. We also plan on visiting lincoln memorial, capitol building, national cathedral, arlington. With the diverse age ranges for our kids that should cover it all in 3 1/2 days. As for dining choices I have read some great threads on this site and tripadvisor and have my list! Any other info is greatly appreciated!!