Search

DC with 6 year olds

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC with 6 year olds

Hello

We are in the very early stages of planning a trip to DC for October Break with our three boys. They will all be 6 at the time we go. I used to live in DC so I do know how to get around and the basics. However, when I lived there I was a single lady working on the Hill and living in a group house in Adams Morgan. I am returning as a PTO/Soccer mom from the 'burbs of Minneapolis. A different mindset.

The monuments are easy as is the Metro. The Zoo is a must. Can you still tour the US MInt? Is it worth it? One of my guys is obsessed with money. Really and truly obsessed with money. In fact, that is why we are going. His obsession has led to his wanting to know all about all the presidents and "very important men" on the money. So, we have been spending a lot of time talking about the Presidents and Alexander Hamilton and Ben Franklin. He would LOVE to see it being made if that is still a tour.

I am on the fence regarding Air and Space. I know everyone loves it...just not sure if it is my guys' thing. Think they might enjoy Natural HIstory more. Guess it isn't an either/or decision.

Any other thoughts? What is new and super fun for kids?

Thanks.
taitai
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:15 AM

You have nearly six-year-old triplets? Wow - congratulations! I thought my twins were a lot of work. I'll be interested to hear the response to your Mint question. Happy Mother's Day.
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:58 AM

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing, which prints paper money, is in DC and does give tours, though they require timed tickets and get mixed reviews. I suspect that a little guy who's obsessed with money would love it! He might also enjoy the Postal Museum. The Mint is in Philadelphia, just 3 hours from DC, along with lots of Franklin stuff. My kids were bored to distraction at the Air and Space; Natural History is our preference, too.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/locations/section.cfm/20/21
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:22 AM

Since you are coming in October, you won't need timed tickets for the Bureau of Printing and Engraving. Those are only required from April thru August.
The Smithsonian's Museum of American History recently re-opened after a long closure for renovation. I was there last week to see the new display of the Star-Spangled Banner which your 6-year-olds would probably appreciate seeing (especially if they have sung the National Anthem in school). It was pretty crowded that day, so we left after seeing that, but your kids might enjoy some of the other exhibits. You can check their website to see what's currently on display. (As I recall, there is some character from Sesame Street on display in the "Thanks for the Memories" exhibit.)
Also, if one of your children is facinated with the Presidents on money, you should go to the National Portrait Museum. There is an exhibit there just of Presidential portraits which your son might enjoy.
Finally, because I think it's never to early to expose children to art, I'd suggest a walk through the Sculpture Garden. Most of the pieces there, particularly the rabbit which resembles "The Thinker", would appeal to 6-year-olds. Also, in the National Gallery East is an exhibit of Alexander Caulder's mobiles and sculptures. They are fun and colorful and would also appeal to young children. Note: The food court in the underground concourse between the East and West Galleries is a great place for lunch with children. There's a good variety of food (sandwiches, salads, soups, fruit, pizza, etc.) at reasonable prices. The kids would probably enjoy sitting with a view of the underground waterfall too.
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:30 AM

My kids loved seeing money being printed (they were 6 and 8 at the time) (they loved the mint in Philadelphia, too). They enjoyed the Air and Space, and Natural History Museums. They didn't even whine at the National Archives! Our favorite, actually, is the American History Museum, also on the mall, and newly reopened (fall 2008) after renovation. Even at their young age, they might enjoy the outdoor sculpture that is across from the National Gallery - not the Hirschorn Sculpture Garden -- that will bore them -- but this one...

http://www.nga.gov/feature/sculpture...ulpture14.shtm
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM

It took me awhile to hit "submit" and in the meantime longhorn told you everything you need to know!!
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I had forgotten about the cafe under the East Building of the National Gallery. I love the waterfall wall as well. It has been a while since I have lived there. Might be a good place to stop for lunch one day.

Sadly, the Embassy Suites DC (which gets GLOWING reviews on Tripadvisor) is completely sold out for our dates. So, I am trying to decide if we should stay at either the Old Town or Chevy Chase one. They seem to really cater to families (cookies, free breakfast, pools, movie nights, etc.) so it might be the best bet for our guys.

Love all the ideas. Please keep them coming.

Taitai
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:31 PM

We've stayed at the ES in Chevy Chase, and it was SO nice to get off the Metro at the end of a long day and have no more streets to cross or city blocks to hike back to the hotel, just a couple of escalators!
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM

hey taitai, we were just there, so I'll share our experience.

We stayed at the JW Marriott near the White House - we were actually convenient enough to walk from there. Since dh is platinum, we were able to use the lounge for breakfast and snacks. I wasn't sure about the pool, but the kids loved coming back about 4/5ish and taking about an hour swim. Downside is that restaurants choices are more limited, but since I went to a food court one night and brought food back, it really wasn't a big deal.

They loved the outdoor sculpture museum. They thought it was really fun to go to each sculpture and try to name them. There is also a small cafe next to one of them that we had a snack at.

One day, we did a loooong walk - we walked from our hotel to the Washington Monument, around the tidal basin to the Jefferson Memorial, to the WWII Memorial, to the Lincoln Memorial, and back to the hotel. They did great and we had fun talking about all the presidents, etc.

One benefit of staying where we did is there is a small plaza with the basic layout of DC on it carved into the granite underfoot. We had fun having a bill in one house of the Senate, sending it to the other house, walking it down to the WH, having the President veto it and send it back to Congress and then re-do the process. They learned through doing how to make a law... then at night, we would watch the skateboarders in the plaza.

They looooved the Air & Space. So much so, that we have promised a trip back to the one by Dulles to see the Space Shuttle. We only scratched the surface and they enjoyed it.

National History was also a big hit, but the crowds got larger quicker, so they burned out faster. They enjoyed the Hope Diamond and seeing all the minerals and the moon rocks.

We didn't do the WH tour, but instead visited the visitor's center and that was enough information for mine.

Washington Monument... definitely yes. Get timed tickets now. We didn't have them and they give them out at 8:30. My dh got in line before 7am and was about 10th in line so he could pick his time, but by 8:30, the line was so long that those at the end couldn't get tickets.

I can't comment on the Engraving Museum b/c we didn't do that. We were only there for 3 days...

One thing that looked cool was the roof of the Kennedy Center watching planes take off. Apparently there is also a cafe that is kid-friendly ?

We didn't do the hop on buses. When I did the math of 5 people at $$$ I was feeling cheap. We'll do that next time.

There are some good DC with Kids books out there.

have fun!!!
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM

oooh, sorry for the long reply. I guess when I get going....

I meant to add that mine are dd9, dd7, and ds5.
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Surfmom, we meet again....

Thanks for your advice. I will look into the JW Marriott. We have billions of points on both Marriott and Hilton so I am trying to figure out if it is worth using points or just paying for the rooms.

Now I just need to figure out flights and a timeline for the trip and then start getting all the timed tickets. I really enjoy trip planning so this will be fun.

Thanks.
taitai
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:51 AM

We also stayed at the JW Marriott, and found it very convenient. My sons loved the Bureau of Printing and Engraving tour. You can easily do both the Natural History Museum and the Air & Space Museum. You'll know as a parent when it time to move on if the boys lose interest.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:03 AM

There are two ES in DC, one near DuPont and one near the Convention Center. I'd do those before traipsing in from Old Town.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM

I propose that six year olds would love Air and Space. Doesn't need to be a long and detailed visit, but seeing planes, space ships and hot air balloons has to be entertaining.

Likewise the dinosaurs have to be a hit.
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:22 AM

My best advice is make a list of what you'd want to do while here if you were alone or with another adult, then cut it in half. Kids are going to get tired and bored, even if there were live dinasours flying on planes. Plan three or four things a day, then stop. If you go out in the evening to do something, then spend time in the hotel in the middle of the day.

That's the advantage of a hotel near the city or in the city. Old Town doesn't qualify. My rule of thumb is if someone has a meltdown (either the kids or mom or both), how quick can I get to this hotel.
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Mike,

Thanks for the advice. In the 6 years I lived in DC, I rarely went to Old Town. However, both ES in DC are sold out (already!) for the weekend we are going to be there in October. I wanted to lock in something now (we like the ES...the space and the amenities are good for kids) and then priceline something else closer to our trip.

We are fortunate that our guys are good travelers (we haul them around with us a great deal) and we are pretty in tune to when they are going to lose it and can head off meltdowns.

Taitai
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:49 AM

re: Air & Space...my kid HATED it last year (age 7)...found it horribly boring and couldn't get out fast enough...oh...take that back...he liked the McDonald's inside ;-) so don't feel badly about missing it if your kids are not "transportation" guys. I could NOT, however, get him out of the Natural History Museum...I think he's have stayed about 6 hours if I didn't drag him out The American History Museum was closed last year, but he's dying to do that one too when we go back in a few weeks...we'll be skipping the Air & Space though from now on and hit the Art Museum instead.