DC restaurant report

Search

DC restaurant report

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC restaurant report

Thanks to everyone who answered my request for Washington, DC restaurant recommendations. We ate very well--too well!--for the 6 days we were there. The highlight? Rasika,West End, of course. I would never have booked there without the strong urging of several posters, and it was fabulous. We took our goddaughter, visiting from Atlanta, and she was blown away by the excellence of the food. We loved the patak chaat so much that we ordered a second bowl and gobbled it all up, along with the other excellent dishes.

The one mistake? Old Ebbitt Grill: too big, too noisy. My trout Parmesan was good, but there was so much covering that the trout got lost. My DH's Reuben was enough for two people. But we had friendly neighbors, good as we were seated so close together.

The find: ThaiTanic, on 14th, just a block from our hotel. Small, unpretentious, but with fine food--the chicken satay was some of the best we've had since Trader Vic's in San Francisco. Amazing sauce. The presentations were exceptional, including a large leaf enclosing rice on a wood "plate"."
I had yummy drunken noodles, a dish that is no longer seen in our local Thai restaurants

The French experience: Central Michel Richard. We began with the gougères, which reminded me to make and freeze some for the holidays. Then we took the prix fixe: a big piece of nicely sauced salmon for DH and the "fried chicken" for me. I didn't know what to expect, but it was absolutely amazing: a chicken breast and thigh first cooked sous vide, then lightly battered and flash fried. What flavor! What tenderness! I could see why the preparation was famous and would love to revisit it sometime. For dessert I had pistachio crème brûlée; DH had a chocolate "log" surrounded by little dots of various chocolate. Wow.

On the night we came up from Williamsburg we ate at the hotel restaurant, Radiator, and has the burgers. Well--they were huge and moist and terrific, as were the truffle-dusted French fries. It could easily be a meal for two.

On our way back from the zoo in a taxi we were headed to DuPont Circle when I spotted the Bistro du Coin and had the driver stop rather abruptly. We really liked the ambience of the restaurant, just like a Paris bistro, and certainly the food. DH had, of course, mussels; I had a very nice chèvre chaud salad. Not too noisy at that time of day.

Our other meal was with friends at, you guessed it, Guapo's. Not too bad this time around, and the guacamole was super.

For several breakfasts we walked over to Dolcezza and were very happy with the coffee and pastries, especially the pumpkin and ginger scone. One day we went down to an old favorite, Au Bon Pain, and wolfed down the croissants. Two other days we went to Paul--the best croissants this side of Paris, several delectable pastries, and fine hot chocolate.

We had two lunches at the National Gallery, a very good value with quite a few options for lighter fare.

We won't talk about what happened when we got home and I stepped on the scale.
So thanks to all of you who pointed us in the right directions.
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 06:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I went to Central Michel Richard several years ago and loved it. If you went recently, not sure when your trip was, Chef Richard just passed away in August, and I think the culinary community in DC is reeling from the loss. It's wonderful that his legacy is carried on through his food.
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 07:15 AM

Thanks so much for reporting back! I always wonder how things went, and which recommendations panned out and which didn't.

<We loved the patak chaat so much that we ordered a second bowl and gobbled it all up>
We have done this, more than once. I just sent some of our friends there last week and they were blown away, too. Glad Rasika never disappoints!

I guess I have to start advising against Old Ebbitt Grill. TBH, I wouldn't go there myself--too many better choices. But it's such a legendary place, and so many people want to see it and say they've been there...too bad it's really not worth the effort.

Paul is a must stop for me. Even the macarons, which are so often disappointing because everyone tries to make them, are amazing.

Where is Guapo's?
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 08:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Old Ebbit has been NOISY for years!
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Guapo's is out near Rodman's, one of my favorite stores in the world. The food is okay, but nothing like what we're used to in California. The restaurant is a great favorite with ex-pat friends, however, for reasons that remain unclear to me. Much prefer Rosa's.

We were in DC last week.
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 10:23 AM

We will be in DC next weekend and are mainly looking forward to checking out Espita--word is that in addition to the many varieties of mezcal, they have amazing food. Mole and mezcal are two of our favorite things in the world, so I hope our expectations aren't too high!

Want to go to the Dabney, too, if time permits, but we forgot to make a reservation in time, so will have to try for the bar. Last year we just had drinks there, and those were memorable, as was the decor/ambiance, and it's gotten good reviews since.

When we return in November, I think we're planning to try the Shaw Bijou..
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 11:22 AM

"The Old Ebbit has been NOISY for years!"

We were there about 2 years ago. The restaurant did not seem that noisy but we got seated in the atrium of the office building. It was so noisy you could hardly hear the person across the table.
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 07:14 PM
kja

Thanks for reporting back!
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 10:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great to hear your feedback! After all that planning you did and then you had to be so flexible because of the crazy weather. Glad to know that you enjoyed the places people recommended for you. Thanks for the rec on Guapo's!

Have to ask....how was Mason and Rook?

The find: ThaiTanic, on 14th, just a block from our hotel. Small, unpretentious, but with fine food--the chicken satay was some of the best we've had since Trader Vic's in San Francisco.

I really like this place too. My favorite is the mussels with lemongrass and red chili.
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 11:43 AM

Me three I really like ThaiTanic. We haven't gone in the last year or two because our friends who used to live about a block away moved, but man do I wish it were MY neighborhood Thai place!
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Mason and Rook--mixed bag. Very clean; our spa suite was spacious, and having the powder room in addition to the large main bathroom was sheer luxury. But the décor left me starved for color: too much black, especially in the bedroom. With just 2 bedside lamps, finding anything in the dresser drawers across the room in the evening required a flashlight (I'm not kidding here). I didn't like the open-concept closet. The big sectional sofa was very comfy; our goddaughter was happy sleeping on it the one night she stayed with us.

Housekeeping service is the big con. Getting an extra blanket took five calls and required a long wait; it was supposed to have been arranged along with our booking. We didn't always get a full supply of towels, and there was only one little bar of soap for the entire 6-night stay. No hand lotion, either. There was a coffee-maker, but we had to ask for additional pods because the supply ran out and had not been replaced. Food trays sat in the hall for hours.

We'd arranged with the manager to have a feather-bed topper, but it never arrived. Fortunately the mattress was just fine, so good that it will be our choice when we have to replace the current one at home. But that was indicative of the inattention to detail over-all.

Finally, the hotel is aimed at the young and trendy. That's not us!

I keep having to remember that we had just stayed at the Williamsburg Inn, which was perfection in all ways. Hard to match it.
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to say in the food report that we had lunch at the Museum of the American Indian: excellent chili and rather heavy fry bread.
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 04:16 PM
kja

Glad to hear you tried Mitsitam and enjoyed it's chili.
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 05:56 AM
LT

I've been living in DC since '03 and have been consistently underwhelmed with the restaurants here. Have just resigned myself to a small handful of stand-bys, like Pizzeria Paradiso, and for saving my dining $$ for when I travel elsewhere.
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 06:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Horses for courses, LT.
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 10:40 AM

Wow, LT, I used to live in DC and I could not disagree more! The restaurant scene has exploded in so many exciting ways, full stop, but also when compared to how moribund it used to be.
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 11:06 AM

Sorry to learn of the death of Chef Richard. Central Richard looked like California but was perfectly correct French food, like being there. I hope they can continue to honor it.
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 02:28 PM

A few weeks ago we stopped in DC driving back to NJ from Florida. We were booked for two nights, with reservations at Ris the first night and Rasika the second. But when we got up after the first night my sciatica or whatever was really bad and it was pouring rain -- predicted to last all day. So we checked out and headed home. Sadly no Rasika for us!

Did you see the new TripAdvisor list of top 25 in the US includes Rasika (#25)?
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 02:30 PM

Oh by the way I love Old Ebbitt Grill -- but for great breakfast. It's not so noisy then.
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 06:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for reporting back. I have never seen the appeal to Old Ebbitt. Food is just okay and generally noisy. They do have a great oyster festival.

I think she is referring to Guapos in Tenleytown on Wisconsin Ave.

Love Espita Mezacaleria. tough to get a res at Dabney. If you get one, love to hear your comments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -