DC-Dupont Circle or The Mall hotels.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Gee

Hi.

What area did you like better? Why or why not? Where did you stay? Did you like it? How far apart are each area? Any suggestions on what to see and do if you have 4 days? Thanks.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:37 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I've stayed in both areas and would definitely urge you to look at the Dupont Circle area. Happy Trails!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Elisabeth

I am from DC and definitely recommend staying in Dupont Circle. I like the Dupont at the Circle B&B(www.dupontatthecircle.com), but there are plenty of B&B's and hotels to choose from. The reason I would never, ever stay near the Mall is that it shuts down tight after 5pm, and there's nothing good within walking distance, no restaurants, shops, etc. Whereas Dupont offers a plethora of restaurants, bars, shops, you name it. You'll take the Metro to and from the Mall, as it's too far to walk from Dupont, though not impossible.Metro is easy, clean, safe, and much cheaper than DC cabs.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Christina

I also live in DC and agree that I would prefer Dupont Circle for night life and restaurants. However, who knows what you want -- I think a lot of people who like Mall hotels are families with kids (they cater to them, like two Holiday Inns) who want to be right near the museums and don't want to go out much at night, anyway. There aren't really that many hotels near the Mall IMO so maybe we would disagree on what the Mall area is -- I only think of two Holiday Inns, and the L'enfant Plaza (Loews?); also I think there is a Hyatt on NJ Ave across from one Holiday Inn -- not too far (a few blocks) are the George Hotel and Phoenix Park which are in a more lively, accessible area, but I don't think of that as the Mall myself. YOu could go to Union Station or other places to eat from there (nice restaurant La Colline very close). There are good restaurants etc around the 7th St NW area (Archives metro stop), but I can't think of a hotel right near that, either. The Mall and Dupont Circle are probably a couple miles apart.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Jill

If your definition of the mall hotels include places on the Constitution side of the mall - such as the Marriott, there are several restuarants, bars in the area - John Harvard's, Capitol City Brewing, Red Sage, M&S Grill, Oceanaire, etc. While the area certainly is not jumping compared to Dupont Circle there are a number of places to go to plus you'd easily be able to walk to the mall at night. A great view is the restaurant at the top of the HOtel Washington - the menu is only sandwiches and salads but you can see the Washington Monument & top of White HOuse. I think if your talking about the Independence side of the mall - that's pretty dead at night. But Dupont circle and the Mall aren't very far apart via the Metro (10 minutes?).

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 12:52 PM
sara

hi--

I live in Dupont Circle--and cast my vote for it--you will have a much nicer stay and you will get a much better feel for the city and its residents than if you were to stay near the Mall.

good luck! sara

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Deb

Hi, Sara, Could you please tell me about the Summerfield Suites, Embassy Square, about 2 blocks from the Metro. Do you think it would be nice? They appear to have everything we want. Am a littl eafraid it is old or dumpy. Anyone else have an opinion? Thanks so much

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Bonnie

As an adult, Dupont is a great place. As a mother, I would recommend families stay in the traditional downtown or mall area hotels. Why? There are a lot of extemely unusual people in the area and the park at night and on weekends is a huge gay meeting place. As an adult, the shops and restaurants are wonderful, but if you have kids, you might want to know this ahead of time.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Ann

I've always said that we don't have enough freaks living here in Washington. We need some more to liven up this place.

There really aren't that many "extremely unusual" people roaming around DuPont Circle (and this is coming from someone who grew up in a small town in the midwest where the big talk of the town one year was when one kid cut his hair short and spiky on top). Yes, it is a "gay meeting place" but I've only seem these huge gay people swoop down and steal tourists' children once or twice .