daytrip to Durango from Ouray?

Jun 21st, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

daytrip to Durango from Ouray?

We're thinking about spending a few nights in Ouray, and would like to make the drive on the million dollar highway. Would it be reasonable to take a daytrip from Ouray to Silverton and on to Durango? We aren't planning to take the train this trip. Thanks!
Jun 21st, 2007, 12:45 PM

topping for DebitNM
Jun 21st, 2007, 01:02 PM

Hi Tally,

No reason this won't work. Get up fairly early and head out one way on the Million Dollar Hiway and return over Lizard Head Pass. Both beautiful and not at all the same. We are partial to Lizard Head route.
Jun 21st, 2007, 02:31 PM

That's not out of the question at all. Plan on it taking most of the day, though, depending on how many stops you make and how long you stay in Durango.

You can either return by the same route, or as GJLinda suggests, you can take a different highway which will take you over Lizard Head Pass. If you do the Lizard Head Pass route, be mindful that it will take you even longer to get back to Ouray, as you have to head west from Durango to Cortez, then north to Telluride and Placerville, then east to Ridgeway, then south to Ouray. I agree that it is a beautiful route, but if daylight is running out on you, you may just want to return to Ouray the way you came.
Jun 21st, 2007, 04:17 PM

Via magazine (CSAA), had an article on a Durango/ Ouray road trip, a couple of months ago I think.
Jun 21st, 2007, 04:24 PM

Just got home after being out of town -- will give insights on this either later tonight or tomorrow.
Debi
Jun 21st, 2007, 05:27 PM

Quite doable. And you will like it.
Take the above suggestions. To use a tired cliche, Been There Done That.
So I can endorse with knowledge of the trip.

Cliche, yes, but the trip is fun, fun, fun.
Great views.

Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! About how long would it take to drive the loop instead of backtracking (just the driving time)?
Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:32 PM

I'm thinking that your initial drive from Ouray down to Durango will involve one and a half to two hours of pure driving time - depending upon the number of semis and Sunday drivers you find yourself behind. Add more time for any stops you may want to make (i.e. exploring Silverton, or taking pictures at Molas Lake).
Count on the same amount of time to get back to Ouray via this same route.
Taking the alternate route over Lizard head I'd estimate would involve three and a half to four hours of pure driving time - again, depending. And again, add more time for any stops (i.e. the top of Lizard head pass, Trout Lake, Telluride).

Note of caution: When driving through Ridgway....watch out for speed traps.
Jul 13th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Sorry, I forgot to come back to this thread!

The drive from Ouray to Durango can be anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours, not including a stop in Silverton.

That would make a round trip a pretty long day. Why not work it out so you stay the night in Durango instead of going back to Ouray?

Debi