Reload this Page >

Daytrip from Portland, Oregon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 10:43 AM
debra

I've been to Portland on a number of occasions. I'll be up there next weekend (11/22-11/24) and am going to have all day Friday open. I've been to Mt. Hood, the wine country, the sea (Cannon Beach, Seaside, Newport), and the Gorge. Seen all the highlights right there in Portland. Just trying to come up with something new for a day. Is Astoria worth a visit? Much to see and do? Isn't there a town with covered bridges? Please give me any fun new ideas! Thanks a bunch.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 11:44 AM
pdx

Wow - looks like you've hit it all. As a local, there doesn't seem like I've seen as much of Portland as you have. Hope we have nice weather for you.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 12:11 PM
sea

Any chance you might have missed Mt. St. Helens. I'm not sure how the weather conditions are this time of year or how accessible it is from Portland, but it might be something to check out.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 12:49 PM
John

Going down the Columbia is a good idea. Leave early (for daylignt's sake) and go on the Washington side, where the road goes through some very interesting old towns (Cathlamet, detour to Puget Island in the middle of the river.) Head to Ilwaco (good lighthouse) and Long Beach (WA); have lunch at the Ark in Nahcotta - a nationally famous place, located on gorgeous Willapa Bay. If time, a little further north to Oysterville, a cute old village on the Long Beach Peninsula. Then head back south to the river and cross into Astoria - one helluva river, this - and back to Portland. It will likely be wet but what do you expect?

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Alana

Astoria is like many other Oregon coast towns with an eclectic collection of good food & a vibrant artist community. In addition, you can reach both Fort Stevens (WWII history) and Fort Clatsop (Lewis & Clark) from there if you have not visited them previously.

If you are interested in covered bridges (or any historical bridges), the Ore. State Dept. of Trans. is in charge of preservation and maintains a website. http://www.odot.state.or.us/eshtm/br.htm

I always like to take veteran visitors to Portland out to view the St. Johns Bridge. Built in 1931, it was built by David Steinman (internationally reknowned) and has beautiful gothic design.

I would suggest that if you can't settle on a day trip out of the area, you consider a day trip of the thematic sort that covers perhaps bridges or churches (Old Scotch Church on the northern outskirts of Hillsboro contains the graves of many prominent pioneers, little white clapboard church variety). There are churches out there to rival the covered bridges in age and beauty. Either way, hope you have fun!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 01:28 PM
debra

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The drive along the Columbia to Long Beach sounds kind of interesting.

I actually haven't been to Mt. St. Helens yet. But I wasn't sure how feasible it would be this time of year. Any feedback on this idea?

Alana - I love the St. John bridge. Been across it many times - including most recently while running the Portland Marathon.

Keep the ideas coming...

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 02:29 PM
xxx

I think the covered bridges are in a town called Cottage Grove. Never been there myself. Not sure if it's worth a trip. Only a few hours south of Portland.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 02:57 PM
x

Not sure how much driving you're willing to do in a day. But the new art glass museum just opened in Tacoma. Probably be 5 hours of driving for the day.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 03:12 PM
beachbum

Have you seen the Japanese and Chinese gardens? Or how about spending the day walking/shopping the Pearl and/or NW 23rd?

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:14 PM
debra

Great new suggestions.

Yes, I've spent plenty of time shopping in the Pearl District, Hawthorne District, downtown, and NW 23rd. Also hit the Japanese and Chinese Gardens.

Is there much to see in Cottage Grove? I can't remember ever hearing much about it.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Alana

Cottage Grove is incredibly far south (south of Eugene) to do as a day trip. There are many other covered bridges that are on Willamette tributaries and closer that have covered bridges. Sweet Home has a displaced covered bridge (2 hours south of Portland, east of Albany on Hwy. 20) but I can't even quite justify a day trip out that way either unless you want to visit my grandparents for me.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Kiki

Astoria is NOT on the coast! It's amazing to me how many people who either travel or even worse live in Oregon who say that when Astoria is over 10 miles inland from the ocean.
As for covered bridges, the best web site to find out info on all the covered bridges in the state is at
http://www.odot.state.or.us/eshtm/cb.htm

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Andrew

Kiki: Astoria is at the mouth of the Columbia River. Even if it is not technically right on the ocean, it is close. Ask most Oregonians if they think Astoria is on the coast and I'm sure most will tell you they think it is.

I have a couple of photos of the long Astoria Bridge across the Columbia between Oregon and Washington on my web site. I won't promote it here, but you can find it easily in Google...

Andrew

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Alana

Perhaps for Kiki we should redefine coast into coastal region so she will not be as offended with our poor geography?