Search

Daytona Beach Shores....Safe Area?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytona Beach Shores....Safe Area?

Hi,
I was wondering if DBS is a safe area. Can you stroll around at night without worry?
We will be staying at The Acapulco Hotel.
Also I would like to get some ideas for inexpensive restaurants. I need ideas for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner.
Thanks
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 07:46 PM

I don't know where exactly Daytona Beach Shores is, but last year during Easter, my 17 year old niece and her friend where robbed at gun point walking the beach at night in Daytona. They had just left a group of friends and were headed back to their hotel where the parents were waiting for them. The robbers took their purses and cell phones...scared the you know what out of 2 teenage girls from Illinois!
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Like almost any other tourist destination, it depends upon the time of day, time of year, and the number of other tourists who are out and about at that moment in time. My husband and I stayed for 7 nights about a block from your location last month and at that time of year, I wouldn't recommend strolling along the beach much after dark. We did that the night we arrived and discovered that we were the only ones out there.....which made it a bit uncomfortable for me. The area is mixed with some beautiful new properties as well as some smaller ones dating back to the 60's. Currently another large complex is being constructed between our two respective accommodations which adds a bit to the risk, I might think. Although most of the properties have fences with locked gates to restrict access to their facilities from the beach area, the vehicle access roads allow locals to walk onto the beach at all hours.

Regarding restaurants, go to MAPQUEST, type the address, and select the Find Nearby Restaurants option. You'll discover listings for anything from IHOP and Pizza City & Subs to fine dining. For a special meal, I'd suggest the Top of Daytona Restaurant that is just a couple of blocks south. Time your arrival so that you'll be there to watch the sunset and ask to be seated along the north side so you'll be able to see both the beach and the Intercoastal Waterway. An added plus might be to catch the pelicans as they fly up and down the beach to the north, sometimes coming up to land on the roof above you.
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Hi! We been visting Dayton Beach Shores several times a year for 19 years and never had a problem.Always feel safe with late nite walks on the beach.This area is way less crowds than Daytona Beach. The hotel we stay at is right across the street from Denny's, RedLobster,IHOP, Subway sandwich shop and Gators Pizza and other resturants. Make a stop at Aunt's Catfish Resurant on Dunlawton ave.It's on the Halifax river.About 1/2 mile north of our motel is a Publix Supermarket,Eckerds Drug Store and Walgreens. If you take A1A Atlantic Ave South to Dunlawton Ave there's plenty more resturants in Port Orange, A SuperWalmart(about 4 miles from daytona beach shores) too with easy access. Take a walk down to the Sun Glow Pier and have breakfast, lunch or dinner over the Atlantic Ocean. Have fun!