Daytona Beach-Good Eats

Search

Daytona Beach-Good Eats

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytona Beach-Good Eats

We'll be in Daytona on the 4th. Does anyone have suggestions for great restaurants (other than Aunt Catfish's) that serve good food at good prices? Staying at south end. Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 12:05 PM
itlyen

Steak and Shake! Right on the beach.

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

itlyen, thanks for your speedy response but I can't do high-fat stuff. I wish I could, though, because I really miss their milkshakes!
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 12:31 PM

Julians on the north end near Ormond Beach. It's sort of like an old fashioned Las Vegas dinner club atmosphere, but casual with really good food (although I admit I haven't been there in a long time). Have fun.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 12:40 PM
iceeu2

It has been 5 years since I was there, but Julian's was gonna be my pick also. There's another place that's been there forever called Steve's or Steven's and its really good also...Same type of atmosphere as Julians

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Julian's it is! I just spoke with a coworker who's also going to Daytona this weekend, and he agreed about Julian's. Thanks for the great advice.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:26 PM

I grew up in Daytona, so reading this thread is making me emotional. I'm posting too late! I hope people search for "eat" and "Daytona Beach" and find this.
Julians? Steak & Shake?!
No no no...
Here are my picks of a few places the tourists don't know about. No NASCAR themed anything.

WARNING: You may have to venture into parts of Daytona that residents actually live and work in.

Snack Jacks
Simple, inexpensive seafood in a great laidback, surfer bum atmosphere. Right before Flagler Beach, overlooking the ocean. Go on a nice day in flip-flops and shorts. Drink cold beer and eat conch fritters on the deck. Often packed, so don't be surprised if there's a wait.

Song Kran
Family owned Thai restaurant off of Ridgewood. Healthy and non-pretentious. It's a word of mouth sort of place, passionately loved and defended by people who go there. Lunch specials are a steal. My favorites: shrimp mango curry, plah gung, big bowl of Thom Yum Gung, veggie special & thai iced coffee. You may want to consider going here for dinner. The atmosphere is lovely, even refined, especially considering that it's Daytona and dinner entrees start at $8.

C&H Sandwich Shop
Off of Mason, in an admittedly sketchy area. You won't notice once you get inside, I promise. Well, I don't notice. Go for lunch and get a hot, pressed Cuban sandwich. They also have black bean soup and iced melon/kiwi/other assorted fruit drinks. I wish I had a C&H veggie Cubano right now...

Pasha's
Even though it's located near the worst intersection in town, International Speedway & Nova, this is a popular place. I always bumped into people I knew here. Also a Middle Eastern grocery, this is where you go to get Falafel and Gyros. And hommus, baklava, fresh pitas, etc. etc. Noisy and small, but everything you want in inexpensive food: homemade, tasty, & filling.