days of the week for DC?

Search

days of the week for DC?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
days of the week for DC?

We're planning an August trip to DC. We have 2 or 3 separate days out of our week to visit the sites. We would like to know if there are better days of the week to visit the tourist sites. We will have the grandparents in tow and they are slow walkers, so we're considering the tourmobile for our party of 7. It is the days of the week that most interest us as we plan. We can get in on a Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.

And, we would be driving in from Hagerstown where we're camping. Should we leave our SUV at a metro (which one) and take that in? Again, it's 7 people.

Thanks.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM

With a party of 7 including a couple of slow walkers, I'd pick weekend days and drive in.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Can you recommend a parking place for a Suburban (if we drive in) that would still give us access to the metro if we need it? Driving in from Hagerstown.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:51 AM

If I am understanding correctly, you won't be staying over, but coming for the day maybe a couple of times?

If so, look at the map of the Red Line on Metro.

www.wmata.com

Look at what station is closest to you and then check the parking.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:54 AM

Hmm...parking your van for several days. That's a tough one. Coming in from Hagerstown, the first Metro station that you'll come to is Shady Grove, but you can't park for multiple days (I don't think--check WMATA Web site) at a Metro station. I wonder if you could park for several days at a Marc station (commuter rail). If you could, you wouldn't have to come all the way to Shady Grove, and could catch a train closer to Hagerstown but Marc only runs during the week, so that would argue for your weekday scenario. I would google Marc rail and see what you can find out.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 05:11 AM

arts, the OP is not looking to park the van for several consecutive days, they're staying in Hagerstown and making 2 or 3 day trips into DC.

Round trip on the Metro for 7 people is going to cost as much as parking in town.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Oh, okay. Not staying over. I get it now. Yeah, I would just drive into town. It makes kind of a long day going back and forth to Hagerstown, I must say. But I know that is not the question.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Yes, just a couple day trips. So, where can we park? The way I read it, the Verizon center is not always open for parking.

OR - We could park and take in a metro from a closer to DC location. Is Shady Grove or Rockville a reasonable spot to try for?
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Yes, Shady Grove would be reasonable, but you need to weigh the cost of 7 people round trip between Shady Grove and downtown with the cost (and hassle) of driving into DC and parking. Where are you going to in DC?
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM

I am a big fan of the parking garage at UDC at 4200 Connecticut Ave. It's cheaper than most in town parking ($10 maybe?) and that includes all day in/out privileges. It's also right on top of the red line metro.

You might just want to call UDC (University of DC) to make sure their garage is open on the weekends...I assume it is, but I only parked their during the week.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

We're going into DC to be regular tourists for the monuments and museums. Husband and I are the "tour guides" while the grandparents (mid-60's) and kids (10 and up) are the newbies. But, we live in a small town and tense up with the SPEED of the DC area interstate traffic. We could get to a set place and park for the day - if that is the preferred option for a weekend day.

I'm assuming all bets are off for that option for a weekday in August? That a weekday would be better to park outside and metrorail into the city?

We've also considered making Day 2 as Arlington and Mount Vernon and staying in those outskirts, with our SUV. I know there's parking at both those locations.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 01:10 PM

For seven people, I'd drive all the way downtown on Saturday or Sunday and park in a garage right near Pennsylvania avenue. The largest operator of office building garages in downtown in PMI; most of their facilities have a flat fee on weekends of about $15, weekday max around $25. At $3/person on Metro (plus parking if you can find it on a weekday), it is about the same either way.
Start your research here:
http://www.pmi-parking.net/garagelist.cfm
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 02:56 PM

Oops, just remembered -- many downtown garages have vehicle size limits (they are underground) so if you have a monster SUV, do know its measurements before you try to squeeze in. The PMI site will have that info for its garages.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

We have a Suburban which usually fits into garages. But, I will check the PMI site. If we are taking the "tourmobile" - is there a garage that is best located to a ticket booth for that tour?
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:21 PM

I've only lived in DC for a little over a year now. But the "speed" of traffic is a joke. Unless you consider a dead stand still speed. I think you can drive with no problem on a weekend into DC. I've done it and I moved here from a small midwest town.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM

If you are coming in on the weekend and are nervous about driving in the city, I suggest taking 270 to 495W/S to the George Washington Parkway and get off at National Cemetary. There is a parking gargage there and tour mobile station to buy tickets AND a metro stop. This plan could take you 1-2 hours if you attempt it on a weekday morning or evening rush hour. On a weekday if you leave Hagerstown at 9 AM you would probably hit DC about 10 or 10:30 and miss the rush traffic. Stay for dinner and get back to your car at 8 PM to miss the rush hour back out. Also consider staying one night in Arlington near a metro station. Two rooms at the low cost Comfort Inn near Ballston metro wouldn't be too much money and save you a lot of lost time driving, paying for parking and suffering in traffic.