Reload this Page >

Day trips or suggested overnights from Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Jo

Visiting my nephew at Babson College on parents weekend, and then having a few 'chicks only' days with my sister and 75-yr old mom who has never been to the east coast. Trying to decide whether to stay put in Boston area and take a few day trips to explore surroundings, or whether to take a drive to coast, Berkshires and stay overnight there. (they'll have had several days in Boston before I join them). thanks!

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 05:20 PM
gc

When?

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Sam

October 18-20. Probably too late to catch good foliage in the Berkshires.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Beth2

How Lovely! I think all three of you would LOVE Michelle Toper's Culinary Tour of Boston's North End. I'll dig up a phone number or website if you want it and can't find it. There is so much to do within an hour of Boston. Lots of antiquing in Essex, MA and Rt. 6A of Cape Cod (opposite directions, depending on whether you head north or south). There is oulet shopping and great lobsters in southern Maine: Kittery and York/Ogunquit, respectively. Many historic homes and sites to explore: Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth, NH; Lousia May Alcott house in Concord, MA; Hawthorne's House of 7 Gables in Salem, MA. If you head south to Newport, RI you'll probably catch some foliage, and may be able to tour some mansions (check to make sure they're not closed for the season).
Once you're sure of your destination, write back with some interests and preferences, and I'm sure you'll get lots of specific suggestions! Best Wishes!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:29 AM
tj

topping

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Beth

Just took my 80 year old mother, and two daughters last weekend to Boston to see my brother. We flew, so we didn't want to spend a lot of time getting to hotel, so stayed at the Hilton right near the airport. Very nice and you can get good rates on the internet. They have a shuttle to downtown every hour and will pick you up at the aiport, if you're flying that is. We saved lots of money with the shuttle to and from things. Loved the public gardens, Cheers, and my nieces had to take the Swan Boats. Walked most of the Freedom Trail and spent lots of time at the Quincy Market. We missed the North End where they said they have the best Italian food. Have fun!