Reload this Page >

Day trips from New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 11:27 AM
Roger Vineall

On my next trip to NYC, I would like to hire a car and go on a day trip (or even stay one or two nights outside). Upstate New York or Long Island? Any other suggestions? If we overnight, how easy will it be to find accommodation on the day or should we plan the whole thing carefully in advance? I like the idea of hiring a car because of the flexibility it gives, but would also appreciate your advice on day trips using public transport.

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 02:03 PM
Decent Tropical

Go up the Hudson River, there's a great deal to see and do there just a short distance from NYC.

In addition to driving, you can get there by NY Waterways Ferry, MetroNorth Railroad and GrayLine buses. See the discussion here on the Hudson Valley. If you decide to stay overnight, I suggest you consider the Peekskill Inn, which is just a short distance from the train and bus stations.

(www.peekskillinn.com)

Let us know what you decide and how it goes!

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 05:39 PM
ET

See the Hamptons! No doubt about it. In season it is absolutely beautiful with plenty to see and do. You will not regret it. There is a train you can take or a ferry. Very easy to do and relatively inexpensive. You would probably want a car or a tour once you are there.

Enjoy!

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 08:00 AM
sandi

Hey! Who has forgotten to mention visiting new jersey? We are one hour from New York by car, but the best option is to take a train (new jersey transit) from Penn station! With this you can get to the Jersey seashore, or Atlantic City (Gambling and beaches). Check ahead on the net or phone New Jersey Transit. The trains in the New York area are very convenient, especially for this metropolitan area, you can see lots of surrounding places.

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 08:54 AM
Neal Sanders

Roger, you don't say what time of year that next trip to New York City will be, which can make all of the difference in terms of trips out of the city.

It has been a miserable, hot, and muggy summer along the east coast, and so the exodus out of the city has been heavier than usual. If your visit is between now and the end of, say, September, you're likely to be competing with New Yorkers for cars, train seats, and hotel rooms. I'd recommend either Jones Beach on Long Island, which is accessible by the Long Island Rail Road out of Penn Station and feasible as a day trip; or else Saratoga Springs, which is three hours upstate by car (Albany, half an hour south, has ample motel rooms to make your decision a spur-of-the-moment one).

After October 1, the leaf-peeking dynamic takes over. The Catskills, just an hour and a half from New York, are a favorite day trip, as is virtually any destination in Connecticut. Three personal favorites are Litchfield, in the northwestern corner of the state, Stonington, nearly to the Rhode Island border on Long Island Sound; and Chester, inland along the Connecticut River. The state of Connecticut gives away a great map showing all of the back roads of the state; you can get one at the first rest area inside the state.

There are other options for day- or overnight trips (the Hudson River Valley, the Finger Lakes, the New Jersey mountains) but I'll leave those destinations for someone else to describe.

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 03:05 PM
howard

As Neal said, the weather could determine where to go. However, if it's not a scorcher out, there is plenty to see in the Hudson Valley. Start with a trip to Kykuit (the Rockefeller Estate) in Pocantico Hills (adjacent to Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow). It's about 45 minutes from the city. You can drive it, train it or boat it. NY Waterways offers a tour from Manhattan (800-53-FERRY for info). Kykuit offers two two-hour tours through Nov. 7--one tour of the house (including Nelson Rockefeller's marvelous modern art collection) and one tour of the magnificent grounds. Check out www.hudsonvalley.org for additional info and reservations.
In addition, there are dozens of interesting stopping points in the lower Hudson Valley--from West Point to FDR's home. Check out www.hvnet.com. A comprehensive website on the entire area.