Day Trip from SF to Monterey, Pebble Beach & Carmel Areas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in San Francisco for 4 days prior to a cruise in mid April. We're thinking about doing a day trip via rental car to the Monterey Peninsula. We'd like to visit Monterey, Pebble Beach and Carmel.

Is this too much for a day trip? Traffic wise, is it better to try this trip on a week day or a Sunday? What is the quickest way to get down into that area? We want to take the scenic route once there, but are fine with freeways to get there. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 03:35 PM

Going down Hwy 1 is not noticably slower than taking limited access roads, maybe a 20 minutes differential in all. It can be done in one long day, and I would think that a weekday is better, although on the return trip you might have the evening commuter traffic around Santa Cruz or in Silicon Valley, depending on which road you take.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Yes, you can do this in a day. I don't have a map in front of me, but there is an interstate straight to the exit for Carmel. It is worth the trip. We had time to spend several hours in Carmel, drive the scenic drive at Pebble Beach and eat dinner in Carmel. There are no traffic concerns in that area. Just kidding I'm sure a local will help you with that.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:51 PM

I am a local. You can do the trip, but it will be a long day. The drive from SF to Carmel is probably around 135 miles. Traffic on a weekday can be bad around commute times, but there is a Diamond Lane for most of the trip for cars with more than one occupant.

I would take a leisurely drive down Hwy 1, enjoy the area and spend one night there. This way you would not be as rushed.

If you decide to get there quick you would probably just take 101 south out of SF all the way to 156 west. Exit there and take 156 west to Hwy 1 south. This will lead you right to the OCEAN AVENUE exit and into downtown Carmel.

You will see exits for 17 Mile Drive before you see Ocean Ave exit. This is the scenic drive around the peninsula. They charge $8.50 per car and they will give you a map.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:27 AM

If you can do this side trip on a weekday, I would suggest that. Sundays gobs of people in the Bay Area will be heading down that way and coming back at the same time you would be. Pretty much all highways leading back into the Bay Area on a Sunday afternoon/evenning have traffic.

In the morning, you will hit some commute traffic between SF and SJ. Once you get south of SJ you will be reverse commute and it should be smooth sailing. Major commute times are between 7:30 and 9 am. On the way back, you will be reverse commute again up to SJ and then likely hit traffic between SJ and SF. If you come through after 7 pm though, traffic shouldn't be bad. Heading down Hwy 1, you might hit commute traffic in Santa Cruz if you go through between 8 and 9 am or 5 and 6 pm.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Wow! You guys are great....thanks! We would probably try to leave our hotel (or rental car agency) around 8:30 or 9am and take the fast roads down to Carmel. Then leisurely drive back towards SF via the 17 mile loop and Monterey. We'd probably try to catch both lunch and dinner before returning to the city. Since we'll be on vacation, there will be no time table. So we'd purposely leave after the morning rush hour and return well after the afternoon one. Does this seem logical? Thanks again!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Yes, if you leave at 9am, you should miss most of the traffic and coming back after dinner you wont have any commute issues at all.

To get to the Monterey area, I would take Hwy 280 down to SJ, then 85 south to 101 south. Once you get to Prunedale, Hwy 156 west to Hwy 1 south. You could take Hwy 101 all the way from SF, but Hwy 280 is nicer and both roads run roughly parallel. Hwy 101 goes through mostly industrial areas between SF and SJ whereas Hwy 280 goes through some scenic areas.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again J Correa. We are AAA members, so I'll probably have them "trip tix" it two or three ways. That way we'll have a plan B if the traffic gets snarled.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:51 PM

I so dislike wasting time in traffic, I have learned to love leaving as early as I can. Driving Hwy 1 for sunrise is so beautiful and several spots for coffee and breakfast. Then I plan to drive back after the comute has cleared, enjoying the sunset, missing Santa Cruz and Hwy92 until 7-8 pm. This has worked well for me to have the most fun in the time I have and move right along with the business of driving, with so many great spots to stop for dining, photos, walk, anything I want.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We've decided to split our four days and do two in San Francisco and then two in Carmel. Since we won't need to rush, we'll probably take hwy 1 down as suggested. Thanks again!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 07:58 AM

On the way down to Carmel/Monterey, if you get on the road before eating breakfast, there is a fun breakfast place in Half Moon Bay called the Main St Cafe - I'll let you guess what street it is on It is a small family-owned place that has been around for awhile. They don't spend a lot on decorating, but the food is good and the prices are nice.

If you like clam chowder, there is a great place in a town called Moss Landing, just north of Monterey, called Phil's Fish Market. This place is a central coast institution - started out as a fish market and they sold clam chowder, fish and chips, and stuffed artichokes on the side. They became so popular that they built a restaurant to accomodate the people. It is a casual place where you order at the counter, find a seat, and they bring you the food.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:15 PM

And on Main Street, the Cuhna's Country Grocery Store is wonderful. Lots of fun shops & gallerys an easy walk. Enjoy !
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions guys...keep them coming! We have a strict rule when we travel...no restaurants we have at home.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 04:36 PM

Lenore, that's a great rule for traveling, one my family and I try to follow as much as possible.