Reload this Page >

Day Trip from San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Sally

Taking a Long week-end in San Fran mid-August. We've been there several times, so have seen much of the city. Thinking about renting a car one of the days. Any suggestions for a day trip ?

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 02:56 PM
tcapp

Point Reyes and up the coast is a wonderful drive.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Tony

Muir Woods

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:14 PM
paul

Name a couple of things you think you and your party enjoy the most (e.g. art, autos, beach, hiking, antiquing, driving, history, ...).

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:39 AM
Nyet

Sausalito and Muir Woods

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:05 AM
x

Monterey / Carmel

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Sally

In reply to one question: we enjoy the beach, unique shops and inexpensive to moderate dining in local spots. I had thought about Monterey/Carmel as was suggested, but thought it might be too long of a drive to do (and return to San Fran) in one day. How long of a drive is it to Monterey/Carmel?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Me

Muir Woods is great for a one-day excursion. You may also consider Napa and Sonoma Counties. They not only have some of the best wineries in the country, it is also beutiful and relaxing simply to drive around.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:22 AM
suzanne

You can definitely go from SF to Monterey/Carmel and back in one day! We did it when we were out there...we got up early in the morning, had a nice big breakfast at the Palace Hotel, drove down the coast, stopping at many places along the way to walk on the beach and take pictures. We drove on beautiful 17-mile drive when we got to Monterrey. We didn't really stop in Carmel, just drove through. Then we got on the main highway and went back (getting caught in traffic), arriving in SF at 3:30 PM. So it can definitely be done in a day!!

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Jen

Napa/Sonoma is definitely a day trip, as are Bodega Bay, Pt. Reyes, Muir Woods and Stinson Beach. If you're baseball fans, see if the Giants or A's are in town.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 10:05 AM
kam

Instead of Muir Woods, drive south on 280 to 84 (Woodside Road) Take that up the hill to Skyline Drive and turn left. Take Skyline across the crest of the mountains to Big Basin Redwood Park, which is the oldest redwood preserve and just gorgeous. No tour buses in sight--you have to put the light on in your car to see. Spend a couple hours there and then take hwy 9 west down the hill and stop in Pescadera. Have lunch at Duarte's Tavern and don't miss the artichoke soup and ollalieberry pie. Then a leisurely drive back north along hwy 1 through Half Moon Bay and along Devil's Slide. I take people on day trips to Carmel/Monterey but I start from Palo Alto and it really is a tight day. Right now the 101 south of San Jose is under construction adding to the mess. If you wanted you could add Santa Cruz to the above itinerary since you're almost there when you come down on hwy 9, but you've got to appreciate old hippies and surfer dudes.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:06 PM
John R.

Kam beat me to it. Big Basin is much better than Muir Woods in my opinion. Big Basin is like an actual forest while Muir Woods is like trees in a museum.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Faina

It may be not a full day trip but Stinson Beach is sooooo beautiful!

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Susan

I have driven from downtown SF to Carmel in just over 2 hours (non rush hour), but I do have a lead foot. I gone there and back in a day numerous times for business and pleasure. I don't take a particularly scenic route, because there is enough beautiful coastal scenery when I get there. FYI I drive 280 S (which can be very fast) to the Gilroy bypass 85 and then take 101 S and then cut over to Monterey/Carmel.

I would also suggest Point Reyes for a strictly outside experience. I would not go to wine country, especially Napa in August. Too crowded and not relaxing.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 01:07 PM
SONOMA KID

101 NORTH TO RIVER RD. WEST.
TAKE A RIGHT ON WESTSIDE RD.
HIT 3-4 WINERIES...TRY GARY FARRELL'S PLACE.
THEN BACK OUT RIVER RD. WEST TO KORBEL WINE CELLARS. WINE IS DECENT, BUT THE GROUNDS ARE ABSOLUTELY A SIGHT TO SEE.
AFTER KORBEL, TAKE A RIGHT WHEN YOU GET TO THE 1ST STOPLIGHT IN THE TOWN OF GUERNEVILLE AND DRIVE ABOUT 2 MILES TO ARMSTRONG GROVE REDWOODS. HAVE A GLASS OF WINE AND SOME CHEESE, THIS IS A MUST. THEN JUMP BACK IN THE CAR AND HEAD OUT RIVER RD. WEST AGAIN TO BODEGA BAY. DRIVE SOUTH ALONG THE SONOMA COAST AND HEAD BACK TO THE CITY. YOU CAN STOP AND ENJOY SOME FRESH CRAB AT THE TIDES RESTAURANT IN BODEGA...

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 02:20 PM
kam

Hi Susan, Yes I'm sure you make it from SF to Carmel in 2 hours, non rush hour, but for a tourist, there's so much to see there that it makes for a very full day. It takes me about 1 hour 15 min to Palo Alto, non rush hour, but I always feel like I'm a camp director because my guests want to stay much longer. I also use the same route as you do since you're right that once you get there it's so pretty, you don't need to see ocean along the way. Do you take 156 or 152? To me it seems a toss up but just curious.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Duke

I live in the area and I would not do SF to Carmel and back in a day given a choice. Too much wasted time in a car and traffic is unpredictable.

If I was staying in the City I would head up to Napa and the wineries. Great relaxing way to spend the day and not as much car time coming and going. Plenty of places to explore and all the shops in Yountville, etc.

Another shorter trip would be to go to the Ferry Building and take the ferry to Sausilito. Look around in the shops there and ferry back.

Don't believe all these great tales of going to Carmel in 2 hours from SF. I live in far south San Jose...60 miles from SF...and have a second home in Pacific Grove. I drive this route weekly and can never make it in less than 1 hour 15 to 1 hour 30 minutes in perfect road conditions. And the road conditions are seldom perfect.

Go to Napa and enjoy the day. Plenty to see and do. Wait till the crowd lessens on the GG Bridge and come back to the City.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:14 AM
David

Although I really enjhoy Monterey and Carmel, they do require an overnight stay when coming from San Francisco. Other suggestions for a day trip from San Francisco would be Filoli Estate(www.filoli.org) off of the scenic 280 in Woodside south of San Francisco. Further down the 280 San Jose would also be another nice day trip(www.sanjose.org). I would recommend the Tech Museum(www.thetech.org), SJ Museum of Art(www.sjmusart.org), Winchester Mystery House(www.winchestermysterhouse.com), Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum(www.rosicrucian.org), as well as the History Museums of San Jose(www.historysanjose.org). There are many great restaurants in the Downtown , including the San Pedro Square area(www.sanpedrosquare.com)
If you prefer a rural atmosphere as opposed to a city, take 17 south from 280 and head over to Big Basin(www.bigbasin.org) to visit the redwoods. In the town of Felton there is a steam train tour through the forest(www.roaringcamp.com)
Have a great trip.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Natalie

Muir Woods

Check out this web site for more information http://www.visitmuirwoods.com/index.htm

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Michelle

One of my best memories is my trip through Napa Valley. A lovely town with great restaurants...and wine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -