Reload this Page >

Day trip from Phoenix to Tucson

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Laura

Emergency! We will be in Phoenix this weekend, to visit friends who are also out-of-towners. Our friends want to spend Saturday driving from Phoenix to Tucson and back (this may be a hectic drive, but it's what they want). So I'm trying to figure out what we should definitely see along the way. And any suggestions about restaurants along the way? Thanks so much for your help!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 02:39 PM
merideth

Along the way?
You mean on the way from PHX to Tucson?
That's easy....nothing!
There's nothing to see on the way except desert. It's a quick drive, usually 90 minutes between metro areas, and it's not a tiring ('hectic') drive. But save your sightseeing time for Tucson....and spend most of it outdoors. That's Tucson's best feature. Canyons, hiking, etc.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Karen

The drive is an easy, short one, about two hours. Especially at this dry time of year, the scenery is awful, barren. Leave Phoenix early and get to Desert Sonora Museum, an outdoor museum of desert flora, fauna and animals, world famous. From there you might want to go just a bit south to Xavier del Bac, known as Dove of the Desert, Catholic mission. Might want to visit De Grazia compound, I think on River Road...very famous painter in our area. Sabino Canyon tour and back to Phoenix. You might squeeze in Old Tucson next to Desert Sonora. There is nothing to see or do or places to eat between Phoenix and Tucson.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Linda

Meridith, you're right on two counts. First, nothing to see, except the ostrich ranches as you drive past. (And how interesting can those be, except to open a debate on why they were established there in the first place? Second, the outdoors IS Tucson's best feature--but August may not be the best time to spend a lot of time hiking in the canyons, especially if they aren't used to the desert. The temp today is a balmy 97--great if you're used to 107, but not so hot if you're used to 77, and Laura didn't say where she is from. And if they don't know the "rules" for surviving in desert heat, they could be in trouble.

I recommend they go to Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (it has any number of cool places) or San Xavier del Bac mission. Old town is neat to walk around (where you have a chance to duck into someplace to get out of the heat occasionally), and there are some fantastic galleries to visit, especially d'Grazia's (sp?).

It's been a couple of years since I made that drive, so I'm not sure if Pinnacle Pete's is still open. (Are there any Fodorites that know?) It's about half way between Phoenix and Tucson. It used to be a great place to eat, if you're still looking for a good one--though you probably won't since the drive is really very short. There are any number of good places for lunch in Tucson itself. Can someone who's reading recommend one in particular.

Have a good trip to one of my favorite cities in the US.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Marge

I would strongly recommend changing your friends minds and go 2 hours north to Sedona instead. Not only is the weather cooler, it's a pretty drive, great places to see, fun little town and a lot more friendly to the August weather. Tucson is going to be REALLY REALLY hot - you'll want to see only indoor things.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:50 PM
lee lee

I agree with Marge - go to Sedona. The drive to Tucson is not pretty. Very very barren.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:58 PM
Linda

I disagree with lee lee. The drive to Tucson from Phoenix is NOT barren. It is certainly very lacking in civilization, but it is beautiful desert. Sagebrush and saguaro abound. If you are looking to see typical south west dessert, you can't go wrong. (And there's always that ostrich ranch and the nut tree (pecan?) grove. Yes, Sedona is a wonderful town with spectacular scenery. But Tucson has its merits also. If you want to go to Tucson, I say, "Go for it!"

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 07:04 AM
steve

There are only two things between the towns that are of much interest - Casa Grande ruins (actually in Coolidge - off the freeway) and Picacho Peak - an interesting rock right by the freeway. MIght be plenty of things to see and do of interest to you in and around Tucson however.