Day trip from Boston

Search

Day trip from Boston

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip from Boston

We are traveling to Boston in mid-September. We want to take a day trip - - maybe see some lighthouses. Any suggestions on cruises or places to go by car? We are struggling with Newport vs. heading north of Boston. Thank you. (3 adults and a baby).
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 09:33 PM

Cape Cod! The most perfect place on earth in mid-September!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:07 AM

You can head north to Southern Maine and its still a day trip from Boston. Nubble Light in York Maine is very scenic. Its not far from Portsmouth NH which is a terrific small city with a historic downtown for lunch and shopping. In Portsmouth there is the Strawberry Bank museum. To get to Portsmouth take RT 1 North out of Boston to RT 95 North to Portsmouth. Once in Portsmouth follow RT 1 North to York and follow signs to get to Rt 1a for the lighthouse.

If you don't want to go that far you could head for Salem Mass. The only thing there that is really top notch is the newly expanded Peabody Essex museum, known for its collections from China trade days. There are historic homes and all the witch trial stuff etc but I find for the most part its kind of run down. Portsmouth and Newburyport, MA were built during the same period but are much better maintained.

Newport is another excellent choice - very scenic drives along the water, excellent restaurants, the mansions to tour. There is a post about what to see in Newport in 12 hours that you might want to read. One of the posters gave an excellent briefing for a day trip to that city.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Cape Cod is a tough day trip, although more doable in Sept. than the summer.

My favorite day trip, which I do about every other time I visit, is to go up to Salem, Marblehead, Gloucester, and Cape Ann/Rockport. (Check a map because even if I gave you directions, you'd still need a map to find your way.)

Salem has the Witch House, which most people feel is overrated, but it also has some impressive old architecture that shows what the area was like more than a century ago -- you can go through it on your way to Marblehead.

Old Town Marblehead is great for puttering around the little streets -- each lunch at the Barnacle on ?Front? Street overlooking the quaint harbor, see the famous "Spirit of '76" painting in the Town Hall, and make sure you drive out onto Marblehead Neck all the way to the light tower at the end. It's not exactly a lighthouse, but it's on a very pretty promontory, with a nice view of waves and rocks.

Then head up to Gloucester, to see a working fishing town and monuments to those lost at sea -- haven't been there recently enough to know whether there are additional markers regarding the Perfect Storm and the Andrea Gale, but remember that movie when you go. And then on to Rockport, which is a pretty little village perched on a rock--touristy, for sure, but you can get a nice dinner out there and walk around the rocks. If the timing's right, you can see the full moon rise over the water ca. 9/8-9/12 (according to my calendar).

An alternative for dinner is, of course, Essex -- an inland town near Cape Ann, set on some inlets but with reputedly some of the best and most authentic seafood places in the northeast. We used to make a pilgrimage (poor pun) to Woodman's every year -- it's now getting mixed reviews, but I'm never sure whether it's a problem with what people expect or whether the quality has changed.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 10:16 AM

Here's another vote for the recommendation by the previous person. You need to visit Salem, Marblehead, Gloucester, and Cape Ann/Rockport. I drove this route last month and it was very memorable!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:10 AM
kgn

I agree with the two above suggestions. I live in Marblehead and it is a great town to stroll through. THe twon is beautiful and the shops are fun.

Another suggestion might be NewPort RI. The Mansion tours are great.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I live on the North Shore as well, and recommend Cape Ann. I would skip Salem, to be honest. M'head is nice but not for very long. I'd head right to Rockport and walk around the town and find someplace nice for dinner. I may be partial because I spent a lot of my childhood there with my parents, but it is also a lot less of a drive for a day trip than either Maine or Newport!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:54 AM

As a Rockport native,I would strongly recommend it. Thatchers island is great and the coast is very nice and accessable. September is the best time of year there with no crowds. There are some very nice restaurants in Gloucester as well. Stay away from the Crows Nest which was in the Perfect Storm. Not the friendly neighborhood bar as it would seem.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:07 AM

Here's another recommendation for heading north - Nubble Light, Portsmouth, Newburyport, Rockport...