Dallas - what to see?

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 06:22 PM
pedro

Dallas - what to see?

I´m coming from Portugal to attend a convention at Dallas on early May and I´d like to make the most of my stay.Any sugestions about what to visit and restaurants? Thank you

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 06:57 PM
raeona

If you have the time, and a rental car, think about venturing further afield than Dallas -- the Texas Hill Country, with some interesting (and pretty unuusal for Texas landscapes) -- is about a 2-3 hour drive south. Another hour farther is San Antonio, a town with a LOT of history and a lovely, if somewhat commercialized, Riverwalk and a rich, mission history. If you haven't seen much of the USA, I hope you find the opportunity to explore past the freeways of Dallas!

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 07:01 PM
Amy Bowles

It has been a couple years since we've been to Dallas, but the Sixth Floor Museum is a must see. It's in downtown Dallas adjacent to the Daley Plaza. This is where J.F. Kennedy was assassinated and there is a lot of history and emotional drama there.

It's worth a trip to Fort Worth to eat at a real steakhouse. The name is the Stockyard (i think???) and it's right adjacent to the real Stockyard. This place has been in business for 60 something years.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 02:26 PM
Jill

Reply to raeona - the steakhouse in Fort Worth's Stockyards is The Cattlemen's.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 04:57 PM
Diane

I echo the recommendation for the 6th floor museum. If you are interested in History, Journalism, Psychology or Sociology, it is simply incredible. It certainly paints a fascinating picture of how the American people dealt with a shocking tragedy.

There are an awful lot of touristy restaurants to AVOID! A big yes to The Cattlemen's in Ft Worth. Hope there are some natives out there to provide a good Tex-Mex place.

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 08:55 AM
Jill

to Diane re: Tex-Mex:
Don't let Dallas people tell you that Joe T. Garcia's in Fort Worth has the BEST Mexican food because they are WRONG!!! Avoid Joe T's despite its "fame." Mi Cocina's in downtown Fort Worth is pretty good, but not your typical "down-home" Mexican food joint.

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 10:20 AM
Christie

My favorite suggestion to travelers to Dallas is to get the Friday copy of the Dallas Morning News and read the Guide. It has a section called "Out and About" that lists all of the festivals and fun things that are going on that weekend. It is a must in our house!

Defintiely go to the Sixth Floor museum- it is well worth the time! I also like the Dallas World Aquarium downtown, which has a full-scale indoor rain forest! Another suggestion is the Dallas Museum of Art, which has a good restaurant inside, too. The Dallas Arboretum on White Rock lake is very nice, and often has evening Dallas Symphony concerts on the lawn in the summertime!

Other good places to eat: Jennivine on McKinney Avenue (near the Crescent hotel), Sonny Bryan's BBQ (a Dallas legend!), and Mi Cocina, which has multiple locations.

One thing to SKIP: Southfork Ranch (long drive and not worth the $15 or so for a tour).

Have a good time in Dallas!
Christie

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 12:17 AM
kristin

Texas in may is VERY hot. 99 degrees hot. so dress cool. If you enjoy shopping dallas is the BEST. For original one of a kind glass go to VERTU in the Knox/Henderson area as well as IOTA for modern reproduction and originals. Dallas has some of the best foods Momo's italian is moderately priced $8-12 (Knox/Henderson) and Sushi on Mckinney. I have lived her for 20 years email me if you want more info!

enjoy your trip

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 09:29 PM
Linda

May is a warm month but not 99 degrees--more like middle 80's. You will enjoy Dallas. Check out www.guidelive.com (Dallas newspaper entertainment section) and put in the dates you will be there. If you are staying downtown, you can ride the DART light rail to North Park Mall. The West End of downtown is a little touristy but has some good eating places--Lombardi's, etc. Deep Ellum, just east of downtown, is the club area. A little older crowd goes to lower Greenville. Fair Park has the best collection of Art Deco architecture and a number of the museums.

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 06:42 PM
pedro

Thank you all for your suggestions. You've been very helpful.

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 07:40 PM
Ginger

Just a couple of suggestions during your stay if you have time....
Fort Worth:

Sundance Square: Downtown Ft Worth
** Mi Cocina Restaurant
** Caravans of Dreams - top of the roof
for a drink - skyline - great!
**Stockyards - Riskys -for a cold beer
for happy hour - then venture to the
little bars down the street
** Grapevine - Great Shops, Esparzas for
Happy hour on Worth St. - a good time.

*** Galleria - North Dallas - shopping

Also check guidelive.com, good source for things going on in the area during the time you are visiting.

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 10:19 PM
crash

Drive down to Waco and see the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame.