Dallas trip report

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 03:20 PM
Owen O'Neill

Dallas trip report

Just returned from a week of training in Dallas TX (my first time in that city). Stayed at Adam's Mark downtown - clean and excellent service but not a great value at $145 (weekday business rate). If you stay on a weekend there's a great rate for AAA (much larger discount than the standard 10%) - $79 for a single room w/one occupant. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurants but the food served at the breakfast and lunch (included daily with the training) was well above average for buffet style. Most significant issue is traffic noise. The North Tower was formerly the Southland Building (offices) and traffic noise was so horrendous in the room that it seemed almost as if I was on the first floor with the window open. Stay in the Central Tower if you choose this hotel. If I returned and had my druthers I'd probably opt for the Hampton Inn a few short blocks away. The West End tourist district is exactly that: a tourist trap with predictable resturants and clubs. It was totally dead in that area on weeknights and only moderately busy on Friday night. The "Deep Ellum" district (just out of downtown about 5 blocks from the hotel) was much livelier and funkier. Caters to a younger and less family oriented crowd - more singles and the restaurants are more eclectic. We ate at "Acca Y Alla" - contemporary Tex-Mex with very reasonable prices and incredibly efficient service. Get there early (before 7:30) and sit on the patio unless you don't mind waiting and can deal with the decibels (it's VERY noisy). The food is above average. Having no car, we decided to take the DART (local public transit train) a few stops up to the Greenville Ave area for dinner. If you do this get off at Lover's Lane stop - there are a half dozen restaurants within 1/4 mile in either direction. We rode up to the next stop (which is the last) and the area was a bit run down. Certainly not unsafe but not too appealing. Since we were already there we opted for a Denny's/Perkin's type of place called "Good Eats". It's a local or regional chain and the food was quite good although basic. The chicken fried steak is as good as you'll get anywhere outside of home cooked. If visiting again, I would arrange to have a rental car. It appears that the great majority of restaurants, clubs etc. are spread throughout the suburbs. If you head out that way (toward "restaurant row" - off the expressway that passes Texas Stadium) be sure to try Pappadeaux cajun seafood restaurant. Good service, great food and large portions (skip the appetizers unless you're really starved. Rumour has it that Austin is really the best spot to visit in TX... maybe next time...

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 06:03 AM
Scott K

Come on down!! To Austin that is.
As a lifetimer here I can tell you if you like Tex-Mex this is the place.
Be sure to visit 6th street and tour the Capital building. As well, the famous(infamous) UT Tower is once again open but you must reserve ahead of time.
See ya soon!

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 10:11 AM
Owen O'Neill

Well... thanks for the invite! Ironically enough, the Dallas Observer (a weekly arts & entertainment paper) had their annual "Best of Dallas" issue the week I visited. Their pick for "Best Place to Take Your Friends Who Visit Dallas" was... AUSTIN!! I was also fotunate enough to catch a live show by Austin guitarist/singer/songwriter Monte Montgomery, who played in Dallas last Friday. He's incredible! If there's more music like that in Austin I'll plan on getting there soon.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 01:37 PM
Christie

That's really odd that the Adam's Mark is so noisy and overpriced. (Guess it's because of the freeway overheads nearby?) I'll have to remember that! The Chapparal Club atop the hotel is supposed to be one of the best in town.

Yes, you really do need a car to see Dallas. Most of the best restaurants are quite spread out, though not necessarily in the suburbs, and without a car, your selection is quite limited. Areas of higher concentration of good restaurants: McKinney Avenue, Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs, Knox/Henderson, and Northwest Highway and I-35E.

FYI- the part of Greenville Avenue that you want to see is LOWER Greenville, but where the trains take you is UPPER Greenville. At the Lover's Lane Stop, Shuck n Jive is really good, as is Kosta's Greek, Bangkok City Thai and Ozona Gill. Right across from the Mockingbird Station is Campisi's Egyptian, which is a Dallas legend for Italian.

Glad you picked up the Observer, especially this issue!!

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 06:20 AM
Scott K

If it's music then Austin is the place. Musicians are outnumbered only by politicians at the capital.