Dallas scams

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Frank

Dallas scams

Dallas, Tx allows corrupt tow companies to post strip malls with a small sign that parking is for 'patrons' only. The operator then waits until someone parks and goes to a nearby off-site business and tows your vehicle to a far away lot. Cost: mine was $220.00 and would have been much worse if a taxi had been necessary (a posted sign at the "junk yard" listed fees from other cities that were much higher). This scam is apparantly unregulated and condoned by Texas authorities and may exist in other areas. Be cautious where parking!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Suzy

So, what's the scam? Even with no sign posted, the owner of a private business is entitled to tow you if you park on their property but do your business elsewhere.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Paul Rabe

Suzy's correct. It's not a scam, and it's not unique to Texas.

It's the law everywhere. If you use someone's property (a parking lot) and park your car in violation of what that owner states is a valid use, then you risk having your car towed. Believe me, if you park your car in my driveway without my permission, I hope you don't consider it a scam when I have it towed away.

Next time, when you illegally park your car in someone else's property, trying to use that property for your own benefit (presumably to avoid parking fees elsewhere) without paying for the privilege, and it's publicly posted that what you're doing is illegal, then don't be surprised if the owner of that property uses the only means at her disposal to discourage your behavior.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Patrick

A scam? This is the equivalent to the "scam" a lot of retail stores do. They post a sign that says "no shoplifting" and if you are caught stealing they actually prosecute you!!!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Just me

Frank,

And just how would you feel if a workman came to your house,,parked in your driveway,,,and then left it there while he went off site.

Did it ever occur to you, that the property owner is trying to insure that parking is available for their customers.

By towing you, you are unlikely to park illegally on private property, again.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:08 AM
uhoh

Well, Frank, I think we can pretty much rule out the sympathy vote for you here.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:16 AM
yme

Frank:
Nice handle....
Sympathy is to be found in the Dictionary between s_ _t and syphillis...neither of which are pleasant
Have a nice day :'o!!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Sam

They'd do the same thing in my hometown and I'm a little dumbfounded that anyone would actually be outraged that they DID do this.

"Be cautious where parking." Well, duh.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Jay

Maybe not a scam, but unethical in my opinion. You shouldn't have to pay $200 for parking in the wrong spot. What if it was a little old lady who parked there accidentally ? It may be legitimate, but it's unscroupulous

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:28 AM
E.

This happened to me in DC when I was young(er) and naive enough to think that the sign didn't really mean what it said, or that they wouldn't really tow me..ha ha, guess what happened! Frank, I sympathise with you only b/c parking lots in Dallas are generally enormous and plentiful, and a business would lose nothing if one or two "unauthorized" parkers availed themselves. But what you describe is certainly not a scam; like me, you've learned a lesson the hard way.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 09:51 AM
graybeard

Actually, Jay, I find your post condescending and insulting to little old ladies.

You mean, there are all these poor little addled souls driving around who can't read a "No Parking" sign? Gimme a break.

Fact is, parking fines are like tickets to the Super Bowl. If you think they're too high, just stay away. It's not as if you're going into it blindfolded (or suffering from Alzheimer's).

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 10:08 AM
x

Frank,
If the business owner is paying for the upkeep of the lot, he has a right to have it available for his customers. Sign or no sign.

Here is a suggestion, if you do feel the need to park there, walk first into one of the stores in the center.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Just Me

x,

Many localities legally require that a sign be posted before a car can be towed.

Walking into a store in the centere is no guarantee. Many strip centers (That don't have much parking) have signs that read, "PArking, Only while shopping at this center".

You leave and they have the right to tow.

Business owners are tired of people using their lots for car pool parking or parking while they go to the movies or dinner, etc.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 11:15 AM
freewoman

I have been living, driving and parking in Dallas for a long, long time and I have never had my car towed. But then I do read the signs and try to follow directions and adhere to the rules. I think that should be done regardless of where you are driving and parking.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Politically Correct

gimme a break graybeard !!

The PC police strike again !!

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 07:41 AM
A

That was a joke, PC. Get with the program and recognize sarcasm and humor.