Dallas neighborhoods?

Search

Dallas neighborhoods?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dallas neighborhoods?

I am moving to Dallas this summer and I have no idea which neighborhood to live in. My husband is a pilot and will be based out of DFW. I am looking for a family friendly neighborhood, I have a one year old, with things to do within walking distance, good restuarants, shops, etc.
Thanks
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 03:53 AM
OO

What price range? What are your preferences...new or old? I'm assuming that he won't be heading to DFW daily so you could almost live anywhere in the area.

If you like old and charming...on the small side, but a neat neighborhood with lots of character and plenty of young people, I'd look in the area called "The M Streets".
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Many airline families/non families live in Coppell,Grapevine, and Southlake.These areas are growing, solid residential areas northish of DFW airport.I do not live in Dallas area but visit frequently.My TA is there living in Far North Carrollton.We drove up north towards Denton not too long ago and visited a planned community east of Denton called Providence I think.It as relatively new and very family oriented.Small cottage size/style up to large 4 bedrooms.I think I remember seeing at least 2 community centers with huge pool areas and playgrounds.But I dont remember any shopping etc too close.I hope this helps.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Sunnyboy

DFW is about equi-distant from Dallas and Fort Worth and between those two cities there are literally scores of good neighborhoods that are within a 15 to 30 minute drive of the airport. Add another 10 or 15 minutes of travel time and there are hundreds of communities. You can find housing in all sizes and price ranges. One thing though, while you can find housing near shops and restaurants it is not often that they are "within walking distance. Texans are in love with their cars and "drive everywhere", especially in the summers when temperatures can reach triple digits.

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Sunnyboy

I meant to add one other thoght. You might want to link up with a local rel estate agent. Tell them the type of housing you require, wheter or not you want a gated comunity, a golf course community, new construction, older neighborhood, what type of commute you are willing to make, what type of schools your may need (grammar schools, seconday schools, colleges, public or private) and what your price range is and I'm sure they will help you find the perfect neighborhood for you.

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 07:37 AM
yk

You didn't mention where you are living right now.

There's really no such thing as "within walking distance" in Dallas except for the Uptown area. Uptown is sort of a yuppy area with lots of restaurants and shops that one can walk to. Otherwise, any other neighborhoods you'll have to drive.
If you're not used to live in a hot area, keep in mind that even if the shops are "within walking distance," you may choose not to walk when it's 100F outside.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 08:02 AM

After selling my house in Northwood Hills (Far N Dallas) of 25 years, I lived with my SO until moving to MX in late April at her house in Bluffview - a great area, but DISD schools.
M
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 09:00 AM

Hi, joliozz. I live in the North Dallas area and I can also confirm that "walking distance" is the distance between you and your car. I agree with BeachBoi that the Coppell/Grapevine area is a good area to live and I hear the schools are very good as well. But there are so many residential communities around Dallas and even heading toward Fort Worth that a real estate agent would be your best bet.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 09:10 AM

Juliozz...Here's a site for you
www.hotonhomes.com
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 09:29 AM

I personally live in Grapevine, which is just North of DFW, and it is a wonderful town. We have a cute downtown that hosts 2 large street festivals annually, and it is very walkable. Homes in Grapevine are a mix of older and newer, but the city is quickly approaching residential build-out, so you won't find many brand-new homes. The city gets a huge amount of tax revenue from DFW airport, so the city services, parks and library are excellent! GCISD schools are also highly regarded.

Avoid DISD areas with schools like the plague unless you are willing to pay private school tuition for 13 years.