Search

Dallas in April

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dallas in April

We've decided to visit the Dallas area at the end of April. It will be me, my husband, our two boys (5 & 6), and my brother in law. We will fly into DFW and rent a car. We have four full days plus the late afternoon of our arrival day. On departure day we will leave too early to do anything.

Planned activities:
- day trip to Glen Rose to visit Fossil Rim, Dinosaur Valley, and Big Rocks
- Dallas World Aquarium
- Perot Museum
- I'd like to check out the Bureau of Engraving and Printing
- which is better....Frontiers of Flight in Dallas or Vintage Flying Museum in Fort Worth? Is one more hands on than the other?
- I had thought about the Dallas Zoo, but not if we are doing Fossil Rim. Fossil Rim is much different than anything we have in NH so I'd rather spend my time/money there.
- Is a trip to the Southwest Dairy Farm Museum worth it?

Would you recommend staying in Dallas or Fort Worth? Are Austin or San Antonio worth making time for with kids?

Thanks!
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 11:32 AM

Go to Frontiers of Flight. It's a much more extensive museum with a much better selection of aircraft. Vintage Flying Museum has only a few aircraft , half of which are undergoing restoration and are "in pieces" - no offense to the museum staff and volunteers but it's like visiting a car repair shop. To put things in perspective, you can spend a couple hours at Frontiers of Flight, you can see everything at the Vintage Flying Museum in under 20 minutes.

With only 4 days you don't have enough time to see all the things on your list and then go to Austin (3.5 hours by car from the DFW area) or San Antonio (another 1.25 hours drive time) which means a full day of driving just to get there and back so save those cities for another trip.

Fossil Rim is about 1.5 hour drive from Dallas (a bit shorter from Fort Worth) - and takes about 2 to 2.5 hours to drive through. Your kids will love seeing and feeding the animals right from the car. Your instincts are correct, you'll probably enjoy it more than the Dallas Zoo.

Bureau of Engraving & Printing is in Fort Worth about an hour's drive from downtown Dallas. The day you do that plan on also visiting the Fort Worth Stock Yards and/or the Fort Worth Science & Natural History Museum (great for kids - lots of hands on exhibits).

As far as where to stay - the things on your wish list are fairly spread out. Better to stay in the mid-cities area near DFW airport as you'll be eqi-distant to Fort Worth and Dallas. There's a large selection of chain hotels to meet just about every budget.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 11:33 AM

Based on your plans, I would stay in Dallas near downtown. That way will be you closer to the south side of town, which is more convenient for your trip to Glen Rose. If you are going to the Perot Museum, be sure and check out Klyde Warren Park nearby, which is a very popular downtown park built on top of a freeway.

I have not been to either of the flight museums or the dairy farm museum so cannot comment. You might be spreading yourself a little thin to do Austin on the same trip, especially with young kids.

FYI, depending on your time, the kids might really enjoy a stay at Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, which has an indoor water park and a very 'Disneyesque" feel. But that would require penciling in a day of waterpark fun. Downtown Grapevine is a fun historic area with a train, too.

By the way, Dallas now has a really nice rail system (DART) that the kids might enjoy riding. It does go straight to the Dallas Zoo if you ended up going there after all.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I shoot for a centrally located Marriott...preferably a residence inn.

We have a great wolf lodge near us so no need to add that in.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Another question...are the stockyards worth it? They look like a giant tourist trap, but maybe I'm interpreting the website incorrectly.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 11:55 AM

Hi Rizzo - I would pass on the Dallas Zoo. We were personally not overly impressed. Make sure to check the times of the movies showing at the Perot Museum (which is fabulous imo).

We liked Klyde Warren Park as well - your 5 & 6 year old should enjoy that and they usually have yummy food trucks.

http://www.klydewarrenpark.org/

I have stayed at a few of the Marriotts in the area if you want any feedback. The Gaylord is a Marriott Property. My grandchildren really enjoyed it!
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

My boys LOVE food trucks. That's all they talk about from our California trip. We have to go down to Boston to find any.

I'll look at the Marriotts and get back to you for advice.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 01:00 PM

>

You can't do Austin on your timeline.

Klyde Warren Park is about 1/4 mile from the Perot Museum. The food trucks are on the opposite side, there are usually about 6-10. The Perot is a lot larger than the FW Science Center. The lone drawback for the Perot is that it's geared for kids a little older than your hobbits but it will be worth a trip. You can also see the Nasher Museum the same day after going through Klyde Warren and your food truck lunch.

The stockyards are not really interesting if there's no show. It's just an "area" and empty pens and rodeo grounds.

The Dallas World Aquarium is expensive. It's good to visit, but you're forewarned. It's also less like an aquarium than you think - it has large aviaries and jungle panoramas in addition to the various tanks of fish, sharks, gators, turtles, rays, etc.

I'd do Fossil Rim > Dallas Zoo considering one is fairly unique and zoos are ubiquitous in large cities. The Dallas Zoo has improved VASTLY from its status even 10 years ago, but it's not in the Columbus/San Diego strata.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 01:03 PM

Definitely DO the FW Stockyards. There is a rodeo every Friday and Saturday night - including a calf scramble for the smaller kids. Every day around noon, they have a longhorn cattle drive. It is FW's history after all. May sound a bit cheesy and touristy, but then again, you ARE a tourist in our area.

I would stay in FW 2 nights -- do Fossil Rim, Stockyards and Bureau of Engraving (if time permits); you could also tour Billy Bob's Honky Tonk which is in the Stockyards; THEN stay in Dallas for 2 nights near the museums and World Aquarium.

Doing 2 nights in each place will cut down on your drive times. DFW airport is basically equal distance between the 2 cities. no need to stay near the airport for your activities.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

We are technically tourists. My brother inlaw has never been to Texas at all. I've lived in Houston and my husband has lived in Dallas...but this was twenty years ago.

Thanks for all the awesome advice. The area between the two cities is so vast. Are there any unsafe areas we should avoid when looking at hotels?
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 01:26 PM

Rizzo are you looking at Marriotts due to points? Or do you just like them?
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Points. But I'm willing to look at other options as well.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 06:03 PM

I think the Fort Worth Zoo has it all over the Dallas Zoo. Especially the new amphibian house. https://www.fortworthzoo.org/

Personally, I think staying in Fort Worth would be your best bet. You can accomplish all your Dallas "tasks" in one day.

While the Dallas World Aquarium is expensive, my grandkids (5-11) have been at least twice a year for the last 4 years. They love it every time they go- they cannot get enough. Much more entertaining than "just an aquarium"! http://www.dwazoo.com/

April will be lovely in north Texas and you should be able to enjoy a thorough array of wildflowers on your drive to Glen Rose.

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing is on the far north side of Fort Worth, so about 20 minutes north of downtown.

There is a very nice Courtyard hotel (and a Hawthorn Suites across the street) by the Fort Worth Zoo. (University). Lovely area and close to Interstate 30, shopping and restaurants. Oh, and across University is a... food truck park!

If you are not traveling during rush hour, it would be about a 45-minute ride into downtown Dallas for the aquarium and Perot Museum.

The kids might get a big kick out of the cattle drive at noon in the Stockyards; all my visitors do.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 06:03 PM

For FW -- Courtyard Downtown/Blackstone -- is a good choice. Downtown, easy walking to restaurants and sights. Can catch the free Molly Trolley to the Stockyards; and a couple of blocks from Sundance Square.

In fact, you could probably delay renting a car for a couple of days. Take a cab from DFW to the hotel, and rent a car when you go out to Fossil Rim.

For Dallas -- SpringHill Suites Dallas Downtown/West End - is a good choice. It will be walking distance to Perot Museum and World Aquarium, and West End which has a lot of restaurants. The area is okay for safety, just be aware of your surroundings, and there are usually quite a few people out and about. The light rail - DART - is nearby. You can also catch the McKinney Avenue Trolley (free?) and take that to the Uptown area of Dallas to more good restaurants, shops, and movies.

You would also be walking distance of the Sixth Floor Museum (JFK Assisination).

Not sure if those are above/below your points budget, but they are strategically placed for your interests. Also, from this hotel, you could probably do without a car and catch the DART rail back to DFW airport.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 07:15 PM

Rizzo - we use a lot of points that is why I was asking. There are several good Marriotts.

Post what you come up with and I am happy to give feedback. April is usually nice in Dallas.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 08:15 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
If it's late April, the temps could be 80 degrees. Would renting a pontoon on a lake for the afternoon appeal to your family?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/dal...weather/351194

If so, momdd do you have a recommendation for a marina on Grapevine or Lewisville?
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 09:01 AM

>

The FW Zoo is overrated. The Dallas Zoo's Africa section is very good as are the Tiger habitat and the monorail ride is nice; the hobbits can feed various avians in the kids' section, which is cool. Especially if they land on you.

As I noted above, the Aquarium has a lot of feather-heads and occasionally they'll get it into their brains to interact with the visitors - like the one that landed on my head and completely freaked out my daughter when she was a toddler and had junior laughing hysterically.

For places to avoid - Haltom City is kinda dumpy. Hurst, Euless and Bedford (the "mid-cities" - which also includes Grand Prairie and Arlington) are all middle-class bedroom communities - not a lot around the hotels, and mostly chain restaurants.

Southlake is a higher income bracket than the mid-cities and has the Southlake Town Center, but it's further away from FW and Dallas.

Irving is different because it is the home of five Fortune 500 companies (and a sixth was ranked #501) but whether it's a good place to stay is dependent upon which side of Hwy 183 you stay in - north of it is middle class to rich b*stard (there's a Four Seasons in Irving for a reason) and includes the various upscale enclaves that are part of Las Colinas. South of 183 is the original part of town with older houses and a lot of lower-middle income apartment complexes.

Grapevine is a decent choice because wherever you are will be close to Hwy 121, which will take you to FW.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 11:37 AM

We owned a tritoon on lake lewisville. I think the rentals are better over on Grapevine. We never rented a boat there (we did up on Lake Texoma)

Rizzo where are you traveling from?
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 11:39 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I think NH, which is why a sunny day on a lake at 80 degrees might be a real treat
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Yes we are from NH.

So much great info to look over. Would also love so food recs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -