Reload this Page >

Dallas/Fort Worth Area

Search

Dallas/Fort Worth Area

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:52 AM
TexanWannaBe

Dallas/Fort Worth Area

I've heard so many people bashing the DFW area. The stuff I've been reading about in visitors guides makes it sound wonderful! I've been there on vacation as a kid, but I would like to go there again and just experience being there No touristy stuff, I'm just interested in neighborhoods, people-watching, maybe some shopping. Please tell me what makes it different than other big cities (besides the weather). Also, what small towns would be worth the visit (not more than an hour or so to drive to).
Thanks!

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Jan

A must-see small town: Waxahachie. Only about 30 miles from Dallas.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Denise

I'll be going to the DFW area for business soon, so I'm just posting another question - Is the downtown area of either Dallas or Ft. Worth really crowded? I live in NY but I never go near the city because of the traffic and crowds. Just wondering if I should check anything out while I'm there.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Mark

To get a feel for some of the activities available around DFW, check out the following web site: www.guidelive.com

I would also suggest taking a short 3 hour drive to Austin ... great people watching there!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 04:52 PM
TexanWannaBe

Thanks for the website! It's loaded with interesting info!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 04:09 AM
sister

Personally, I find downtown Ft. Worth more interesting than downtown Dallas! The Stockyards are in Ft. Worth--touristy, yes, but where else can you see long horns strolling on a downtown street. Shopping! Greenville Ave and Oak Lawn for funky shops and eats.
THe only people that bash DFW just wish they lived there :~)

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 05:01 PM
dean

I will second Ft. Worth and Waxahachie. Dallas is just another big city. The Ft Worth Stockyards are a lot of fun. You can watch both people and Longhorns!!!Another close city is Granbury, 30 mi SW of Ft Worth. Wildflower season is just around the corner. April is a great time to visit. Downtown Ft Worth is great on the weekends.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 05:25 PM
Amber

When we visit Dallas we stay in the Irving/Las Colinas area, about 15 miles from downtown Dallas. Our most intriguing dining spot is the COOL RIVER CAFE on Hidden Ridge Road. The TRAIL DUST STEAK HOUSE was great also. This is my idea of Texas! They have a country and western band, a dance floor and the best bar-b-que ribs.
When I visited the Dallas Zoo, which is 3 miles south of downtown Dallas and other places of interest, I did not find it difficult to navigate the highways from one end of Dallas to the other. I have never been to Fort Worth.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:52 PM
sandi

I was born/raised here in Dallas so I can tell you a few things about it, for sure. Dallas and Ft.Worth may be 30 miles apart but are worlds different. Ft. Worth takes great pride in its cowboy history and still has a working stockyards in the middle of dowtown. In most of the bars, you'll hear nothing but country music. They also have fabulous gardens ie. Ft. Worth botanical gardens, Japanese Gardens, Rose Gardens, and a nice zoo all within a couple of miles of each other (or less). Dallas is more cosmopolitan, definitely far less "country" than Ft. Worth. The WestEnd of downtown is extremely touristy but has many great places to eat (like The Palm). Go further east to Deep Ellum and you'll find the greatest selection of clubs and bars playing rock and alternative music (tatoo places etc..) excellent live music scene and great restaraunts. It can be dead during the week but certainly not on the weekends. Dallas has some beautiful old neighborhoods that are fun to drive around and look such as Highland Park, Oak Cliff and East Dallas (around White Rock lake.

Dallas finally has a light rail system that works like a dream. They're expanding it constantly (do a search on Dallas Light Rail or Dallas Area Rapid Transit System)and it now is connected to Ft. Worth.

It does get HOT in the summer and the summer lasts a long time. I'll be glad to answer any questions about it.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:12 PM
TexanWannaBe

Thanks to everyone for their input. I just have a couple more questions about summers in that area. A friend of mine lived in Dallas for the summer about 10 years ago. She said there wasn't much humidity at all, so summers weren't unbearable, and there weren't many mosquitoes. She also said the downtown crowds aren't bad.

Sandi (or any who knows): Since she only experienced one summer there, I was wondering if you would give me your opinion.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:03 PM
aceplace

The city is far from the ocean, so the answer to your humidity question is... it depends on time of day.

At 7AM, the air temp is about 75, but the air is humid. As the air gets warmer, the humidity drops. At 4PM, the air temp might be, say, 95, but the humidity has gone down to 35 or 40%.

You're actually very comfortable in the afternoon, if you are in the shade and there is a breeze, because 40% is very low.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:12 PM
aceplace

One big difference between Dallas and the other US metros in the top 10 is the age and condition of the central city, just outside of the downtown.

The city was late to develop its urban pedestrian areas compared to, say San Francisco, so the buildings and neighborhoods are pretty new and posh... not slummy or dodgy as you find in other cities in the top 10.

For people-watching, go along McKinney street, especially near a place called the West Village. It actually looks like a neighborhood in a European city.

Other good people-watching spots are the West End, Deep Ellum, along Knox street, the Farmers Market area, a place called Mockingbird Station, Preston Center, and some others.

The people who bash Dallas, I've found, are usually insufferable jerks in other ways. Many of them are what you might call "extreme left wing" in their politics and lifestyle.

San Franciscans, in particular, are notorious for their hatred of Dallas. I know, I was one of them for years (except that I always liked Dallas, and I had no political opinions).

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:13 PM
sandi

Although the humidity at times can be low, the summer temp can be extremely high. We've set records the last 2 summers; not only the longest sustained number of days at 100 degrees or higher but also a record high temp of 114. So, it might be comfortable in May or June, but July-Sept. are surely unbearable in the afternoons. Also, The evenings don't cool down like you might see in New Mexico..it can still be 95 degrees at night, which makes for some wicked dreams!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 03:08 PM
I_love

I'm sorry to hear that Ace feels Dallas-bashers are insufferable jerks. As a lifelong Texan, I've never been too keen on Dallas. Though, outside of Deep Ellum (way fun) and the West End, I have to say the rest of the city holds no appeal to me. There are some old, pretty neighborhoods, like Highland Park and good eats in that direction. I've just found the city to be un-friendly and uptight.

Fort Worth,in my experience, is more down-to-earth. Over the last several years, they've revitalized their downtown area. Sundance Square is the hub of it, with art shops, a georgeous opera hall, a movieplex, and countless restaurants on all sides. Oh, yeah, and the parking is free on weekends and after 5. (Just a little gift from the richies who revitalized downtown.)The zoo in FW is wonderful. The botanical gardens are relaxing and beautiful, The people are much more casual and easygoing than Dallasites and Houstonians, though not as ecclectic as Austinites.

As for small-town visits... it's been a while, but I remember Granbury (south of FW) as being really nice and quaint. Go about an hour north or south on 35, and you'll find outlet malls - Hillsboro to your south and Gainesville to your north. Sherman and Denison, about an hour north of Dallas are nice towns, and one of the two is the birthplace of Eisenhower - I forget which.
www.traveltex.com is a good site.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Jason

Aceplace has some sort of complex I think. I was reading the comments made on another thread about DFW and he/she kind of seems rather extreme about opinion that DFW is one of the top tourist destinations in the US and anyone who doesn't like it there is crazy or something.
Aceplace says that Dallas bashers are usually insufferable jerks.
Which is interesting because Texans as a whole have a reputation for being insufferably biased and arrogant about Texas.
The comments he/she made are a perfect example of why so many non-Texans bash Texans.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:06 PM
aceplace

Well, hello, Jason, thank you for your interest.

People who indulge in poisonous comments about anybody's town are invariably insufferable jerks.

Why?

Because for the most part, they are clinically neurotic... a lot of facial tics, bizzare body motions, abnormal vocalizations, compulsive communications and the like.

Skewering goodwill and creating emnity, my friends, is known as slander.

Tell me the truth? Do you really like people who pass out malicious gossip? Ahh, I thougght so. Not really the fun types, eh?

I'd like to interview some of the more extreme ones on this newsgroup... to confirm my theory that they're not really all there... you know who I mean... comments like "this place really sucks", "the only thing to do is go to a supermarket", "nobody likes it".

When people with this kind of attitude come into Dallas, or anywhere in Texas, they aren't very popular. The locals like happy, positive people, but the grouches get pretty short shrift around here. Something like the social equivalent of tar and feathers.

So I guess that certain people have a very good reason to hate Dallas and Texas.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Aceplace

Mr I_love_Fort_Worth, I don't consider you among the insufferable jerks, and I don't think you're bashing anything.

If Dallas is not your cup of tea, but Fort Worth lights up your life, that sure is a legitimate opinion, even though it's not my opinion. Enjoy Fort Worth...

The Dallas side of the Metroplex is pretty un-Texan, in a lot of ways... they've done surveys on attitudes and consumer preferences for various products, and Dallas always stands in sharp contrast to the general taste of Texas.

Dallas likes Beamers, Texas likes trucks, Dallas likes microbrews, Texas likes Bud... Dallas likes Godiva, Texas likes Hershey, Dallas likes commuter trains, Texas likes highways...

Dallas is more like a colony of the Northeast plunked down to help the Yankees keep an eye on Texas.

So I can understand your attitude.

But fortunately, the Metroplex is definitely big enough for the both of us.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Christie

<<We've set records the last 2 summers; not only the longest sustained number of days at 100 degrees or higher but also a record high temp of 114.>>

Wrong, but thanks for playing. ;-) Both of those records were set in 1980, and they still stand today. (I remember 1980 well...) The record that we DID set last year was the number of consecutive days without recorded rainfall, and it was well over 90 days.

Even though I've lived in Dallas for most of my life, and I do love it here, my favorite place in Texas is Fredricksburg. To me, it is what heaven looks like, complete with the antique shops, German bakeries, horse races, and Hill Country scenery.