Search

Dallas Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Marilynn

Dallas Anyone?

I will staying at the Hyatt Regency Downtown on Business in Sept. I would like to do some sightseeing with out 13yr son, but have not found anything interesting.

Anyone have any suggestion? Any and all are welcomed.

Thank you
M.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Olive Oyl

Definitely do the Sixth Floor Museum--very very moving museum of Kennedy's assination, on the same floor of the building where Oswald was when he shot.

He should enjoy the Ft Worth Stockyards too if you can get over that way. And there isn't a kid large or small that doesn't enjoy the view from "the ball" (that revolving ball atop Reunion Tower, part of the Hyatt and an identifier for the city in all cityscape shots).

The Aquarium in the West End is small but excellent. There's a start!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 06:01 PM
oo

Great spell checker, please make that an "assassination". Ouch, it hurts to read the former post! Please forgive.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Lori

Dallas really isn't a sight-seeing town. Lots of shopping and dining though.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 06:12 PM
xxx

Don't plan on your teenage son being too impressed by the Sixth Street Museum. I went a few years ago and wasn't all that moved. Looking around, you could tell that you had to live through it to truly appreciate the museum. The under 30 crowd was moving through the exhibit fairly quickly.

The Stockyards in Ft. Worth is a good choice.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 07:08 PM
Owen O'Neill

There is always the West End in downtown but I found it to be the predictable mix of chain restaurants and generic tourist attractions that one will find in any major city. Deep Ellum is a bit more interesting - really targetd mostly at a 20's and 30's crowd with a mix of nightclubs and restaurants but there are some funky and interesting shops that might hold passing interest for a thirteen year old boy. You could also try Cafe Brazil for coffee drinks, desserts or a light meal. It's not Brazilian in food or theme but is an eclectic place with a young crowd and a friendly staff - casual and inexpensive - I try to get there when I'm in Dallas.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 09:01 PM
JxF

^
Recently read article in Dallas Morning News (our newspaper in town, unfortunately THE ONLY newspaper . . . ) -- I digress. News story talked about how shopping is one of the major activities for tourists & visitors to the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. Sorry to say our grand sights in this area are the Galleria Mall, Grapevine Mall, Willow Bend Mall (latest to open, it's north of Dallas in Plano) and there are several others. Cruising the mall may be an activity that your son may enjoy, however doubt it's a "mother/son" thing.

To look up activities, sights, restaurants, movies, museums, etc. in Dallas, look at the 'Guide Live' section of Dallas Morning News. Direct link is: www.GuideLive.com

IF you'll be in Dallas during end of September THEN, I'd suggest that you check out the Texas State Fair. Not sure of exact start date, sometime around Sept 25th I think.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 06:09 AM
texasgirl

The State Fair is a good idea if you happen to be there during that time frame. good combination of midway, agricultural and old-timey stuff, and just plain kitschy.

Fort Worth has the stockyards, which is an area with western stores, Billy Bobs (world's largest honkytonk, your son can go in during the day and pose on the bucking bull) restaurants and the Tarantula steam train. Some weekends there is a little rodeo to see there in the stockyards arena. Also there's a real (very small) cattle drive done for tourists. Again, kitschy but fun, and I think it's what people expect out of Texas, and which simply doesn't exist in Dallas. look on www.star-telegram.com of www.dfw.com for details

The museums in Fort Worth are probably better than Dallas' as well, though your son may be a little too old for the Science and History museum and too young for the Kimbell and Modern.
The amon carter, the western museum, is still closed for renovation i think.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 07:03 AM
JxF

^
Marilyn:
Update to my prior post, the Texas State Fair opens on September 28th & runs to October 21st.

http://www.bigtex.com/