D.C hotels--HELP!!!FAST!!!

Jan 9th, 2001, 04:41 AM
Lisa

D.C hotels--HELP!!!FAST!!!

Hi! I could definitely use some GOOD advise. I'm taking my 11 & 14 year olds to D.C. We want to wlk to as much as we can--will be there 4 nights. Definitely want to go out to eat at night (nothing too fancy-but not Chili's) I know nothing about the right areas, but found several hotels in my price range: St Gregory Hotel, Loew L'Enfant Plaza, the Crowne Plaza, Marriott Metro Center. Do any of these sound like they fit the bill? Any other suggestions? THANKS!!!

Jan 9th, 2001, 09:09 AM
EL

I suggest you look at the Washington Post Travel website for hotel and restaurant locations. A friend used to stay at the Kalorama Guest House on Mintwood Place in the Adams Morgan area. It is a residential neighborhood, with tons of great restaurants nearby and not too far from the metro. The B&B is actually housed in several townhouses.

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/tra...itorsguide.htm

Jan 9th, 2001, 09:52 AM
lisa

I live in DC. The Marriott Metro Center is in a great location, right on top of a metro station in the center of everything, a short metro ride to anyplace you'd want to go. Of the ones you've listed, that's definitely the one I'd choose. My mom has stayed there many times on business and I've seen several of the rooms -- they're nice.

Jan 9th, 2001, 10:03 AM
ann

Lisa,
I'm not familiar with the St. Gregory, but of the other three, I would recommend either the Crowne Plaza or Marriott Metro Center. They're both right downtown, and besides being in walking distance of restaurants, some sights, etc., they're very close to the Metro Center metro stop, where the red, blue and orange lines converge. Loews L'Enfant Plaza is a perfectly fine hotel, but it's not really near much, and it definitely wouldn't be my first choice if you want to walk around at night.

Jan 9th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Ann

Avoid L'Enfant, as there's nothing around there but office buildings. The others all fit the bill.

For food, Capital City Brewing Company and the Austin Grill would be good for kids. A step up from Chili's. But also head for Adam's Morgan (go early, before the clubbers come out). There are several reasonably priced restaurants--names are escaping me at the moment. Just look around. Also, Chinatown. Alot of the best Chinese restaurants have closed down since the new arena was built. Also try Fado's--it's part of a chain of Irish pubs, and has pretty good food. The kids will probably love the ESPNZone.

If you want to splash out a bit, try Kinkead's, or McCormick & Schmick's, or DC Coast.

Jan 9th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Jen

Hi Lisa! I can definitely vouch for the Marriott Metro Center. A very nice hotel. Nice rooms and staff. Capital City Brewing is right across the street, TGI Fridays (I know, too much like Chili's ( is a block away and Old Ebbitt Grill ( little more sophisticated) is only a couple of blocks away. I think you'll be happy there. Close walking distance to Museum of Natural History, a little farther to Smithsonian and Air & Space and White House, but still a comfortable morning/afternoon walk. Have fun!

Jan 9th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Diana

You will note that everyone mentions close to the Metro. It is the subway/transit system in and around Washington DC. It is EASY to use. Many years ago I stayed with my 12 yr old in Maryland at the end of the orange line. First thing I did was go to the Metro with him and have him read the directions and figure out on the map where we were and were trying to get too. That way if he got lost (he had his own ticket) He could manage to find his way back to the hotel. We never needed that feature but it sure made us aware of how easy it is to use.