Reload this Page >

d.c hotel/ Hilton Washington & Towers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 05:53 AM
tracy

Can anyone shed a light about this hotel, we are staying last weekend in March; I understand that it is new and recently opened...we are Hilton members and are very familar with Hilton..just wondering how close in proximity to the museums etc. and also to any resturants? We are traveling with 3 kids: ages 14,11 & 8 is the Holocaust museum a MUST see? as we have never taken the kids to anyother museums? Also is there any Easter Sunday events going on that we should try? Sorry for the long message, thanks ahead for the help!!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Kristin

The Washington Hilton is definitely not a new hotel.. perhaps they did some remodeling recently or something. In any event, it is in a very good location right next to both Dupont Circle and Adams-Morgan, which are great neighborhoods to walk around, eat out, shop, etc. There are dozens of restaurants in the area - I'd be happy to give you more specific recommendations if you let me know what you're looking for in terms of price, cuisine, etc.

As far as museums, the Holocaust is a wonderful museum that everyone should see. It's not exactly a "fun" experience for kids, but incredibly important nonetheless. If you want to combine it with something a little lighter, kids usually enjoy the Air and Space Museum and Natural History Museum. And there are many more great ones on the Mall (most of them part of the Smithsonian), depending on your interests. If it's nice out, they might enjoy a trip to the zoo, just a mile or so up Connecticut Avenue from your hotel.

If you want any more specific info, feel free to e-mail me directly.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:10 AM
tracy

Correction, or really clarification: I know there are several Hiltons in DC, but the one I am referring to in my message is called Hilton Garden Inn/Washington DC at Franklin Square.
Anyone? Thanks again..

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Christina

yeah, that one is pretty new. It's a much better location for tourism, also, as it's within walking distance of the White House, and Mall if you don't mind walking a bit (otherwise, there is a metro stop right nearby, McPherson Sq). There are several nice restaurants as well as cheaper take-out places nearby. I think it's a good choice, it looks very nice to me but I haven't stayed there or know anyone who has (I live in DC).

As for Easter, I'm sure the Christian churches have special services, but other than that, I don't know what you might be expecting, nor do I know of anything. White House has some egg roll thing but it's hard to get in and not on Sunday, as I recall. Lots of restaurants have nice special Easter dinners that I see advertised in the paper. I would not say the Holocaust Museum is a must-see at all, especially if your children have never been to any museum, and two are rather young. I think that's better for older teens who have studied history more and have better understanding and context of the events. I think the American History Museum is the best, then Air and Space. I don't think the Natural History one is very good myself.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:50 PM
tracy

Thanks to the above posts...I feel a little relieved...I am glad we will be close to things. Now I am wondering about good seafood resturants within walking distance, did a little checking and only read several different places that SOUND good in print: the Oceanaire Seafood room?,Old Ebbitt Grill?,& DC Coast, these seem to be close to the Hilton, but would love an opinion on these or any other. (I love crab, my husband is a fish lover, our kids are'nt picky, but they usually go for italian) Thanks to anyone and again to the above, since we will only have 2 days I am trying to do the leg work now before we go. I am thinking of making reservations for Easter Brunch, just wondering about that too? Thank you, Tracy

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:07 PM
kristin

check out the www.washingtonpost.com - i believe all the restaurants you mentioned are reviewed there. oceannaire is nice, old ebbitt's is a little touristy, but has good food and a great old-school dc feel, and dc coast is wonderful, altho i'm not sure i'd take the kids there. a great seafood place in dupont circle is johnny's half shell on p street - fun atmosphere and great food. it's not near your hotel, but it's a great neighborhood to check out if you want a change of scene.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:14 PM
tracy

Hi Kristin, thanks for the info., I did also read about Johnny of the half shell...perhaps we'll take a cab there... To you or the other post: do you mind if I just e-mail you? I hate to keep taking up posts for myself, but I do feel there are several other things I will want to ask...as I know it is helpful for all the forum to read different iquires, it may seem that some of the particulars I am looking for are out of touch with the other forum readers. Let me know if e-mail is better or simply here on the forum.
Really appreciate the info., we recently returned from the carribean and had a wonderful stay because of so many helpful forum writers. Believe it or not I am originally from Annapolis, although I would like to claim I know the area, it's just too difficult to keep track of everything that has come, gone, good,bad, etc. Thanks Again, Tracy

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:17 PM
sonya

I would rather you didn't privately email anyone as I am interested in all Washington DC responses...

Post them for us all to see!

Thanks

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Sonya, I keep some travel notes from Washington DC at an online site and you can link in at:

http://www.igougo.com/planning/journal.asp?JournalID=5632

I don't get into the tourist stops, but there are a couple of hotels and some restaurants we've tried. I highly recommend the Dupont Circle area.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:40 PM
sonya

Wow Jim, what a great website.

We should start a thread here to tell people about Igougo. Many long detailed reviews of restaurants, hotels, attractions, etc.

Of course you can't ask questions like you can here but you can read people's opinions on things which is what I like about this board too.

Thanks Jim!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Yes, it's a really handy, structured way to share information that is by and for travelers -- also a fun diversion.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Tracy

Jim, no such luck trying to log onto your igougo site???? Keep getting the message that page not avail??

I am curious to read what Sonya is very excited about...thanks, for the help.

Tracy(the original post)

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 03:27 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Looks like some temporary technical problems with the site this morning. I'm sure they will have things restored before too long. And regarding questions, registered users do have an internal message system that allows that but it's obviously not necessary to register to read the journals.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 04:34 AM
tracy

Thanks Jim, I will try it again later today...looking forward to it! Tracy

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Kristin

Tracy, you (or Sonya, or anyone) can feel free to e-mail me directly anytime if you have specific questions... I'll try my best to give you good info! But I'm happy to answer on the forum as well if it's a topic others are interested in.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:47 AM
hans

Just a couple of quick thoughts... teh Holocaust Museum is incredible but also very intense. My then 12 year old found it too much and had to leave; his older brother (17 then) thought it was the highlight of the trip.

The Oceanaire is a wonderful restaurant but expensive for a family. Another good choice bvut requiring a cab ride (you actually could walk but it's a ways) is the Georgetown Seafood Grill. Very tasty, slightly less, and more casual(broad generalization but fewer suits there).

A brunch option would be Gabriels. Also requires a cab ride back to the Dypont area but for about $27/person you get a huge buffet (5 or so stations) with all of the typical items plus some spanish/med. influenced options and all drinks. There are two seatings only (11:00 and 1:00 perhaps) so you don't feel rushed. Reservations required; brunch is highly recommended.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 05:51 AM
sonya

Jim, Kristin

I had another thread going here a month or so ago and someone mentioned that Great Falls is a wonderful place outside of DC to go. Problem is, no one really told me what it was or whether I would need a car (we are not renting one).

Can you shed some light on Great Falls?

Thanks!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 06:45 AM
martha python

Yes, you'd need a car to get to Great Falls.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 10:21 AM
t

ttt

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 11:56 AM
candy

Tracy-

Would you post a message about the Hilton when you return? We have reservations there for the 1st weekend in May, and I would love to hear what you have to say. You can e-mail me at the above address, or just post here, as I'd like to hear about what you did, where you ate & all that good stuff. Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -