Search

D.C./ Baltimore

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 03:07 AM
jean

D.C./ Baltimore

We will be arriving to BWI in the early evening, our major focus is D.C. sites.
Should we stay as close as possible to D.C.
and use public transportation? Are the trains safe? What is the name of a town close by that might have inexpensive chain
hotels? Any suggestions would help. We are traveling with a 16yr.old exchange student
(female,from Denmark) and our 10yr. daughter.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 05:42 AM
Daniel Williams

Hi

I take the trains (both the MARC commuter and Amtrak) all the time between DC and Baltimore and I've never had any problem. You can certainly get by in DC without difficulty using the public transportation. The subway is clean and there are few incidences of crime. As for hotels, I can't help you there.

Dan.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 05:45 AM
Noach

While I've never been to D.C./Baltimore, I have seen information on line that makes me think D.C. would be a good place for a vacation. I agree with everything else anyone has said about it.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 07:19 AM
lisa

You should stay IN DC and use public transportation -- the metro is great. If you do a search of old threads you should be able to find some recommendations on moderately-priced hotels in DC. There is a Best Western on New Hampshire Ave. between Dupont Circle and Foggy Bottom that has been recommended here many times as having low rates and nice rooms for families if you book through certain websites or hotel discounters (can't remember but you should be able to find an 800 number if you do a search). Good luck and have a great time.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 09:53 AM
Joy in Virginia

The homepage for the Washington Metro is http://www.wmata.com/ go to their site for maps, info. I have traveled the Metro at all hours when in DC on business & never had a problem. Search this site for prior DC posts, there have been some great threads in past with family hotel recommendations. One recommendation for lunch or breakfast when you are in town: Reeves Bakery at 1306 G Street NW (near G & 7th Street intersection???) I LOVE this place, good food, reasonable prices, waitresses are very southern & call you honey & fuss over kids, the coke floats are terrific!

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 11:29 AM
Livia

Ok, i live in Maryland, which is only 20min from D.C. I got into D.C. all the time, and you can definately find things to do. Staying in N. Virginia nad Maryland is alright, because the metro buses provide transport to the subway trains. If you stay in D.C., there are subways at every corner - so both should be fine. The Smithsonian is a tourist CENTER. The capitol building is there, including museums, the monument, etc. - and Arlington Virginia isnt far - so you can see JFKs gravestone. There's so much to do, I suggest getting Fodor's book of D.C./Maryland/Virginia tours. And, if the 16yr old is the party type - we have tons of clubs!!!! She would enjoy Georgtown at night (lots of people, bars, shops, etc.)

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 12:45 PM
K Kennedy

I live in DC and think suburbs can be a good idea for cheaper (than in the city) accomodations. Try Bethesda, MD which has a ton of restaurants/shops and is on the metro line, or old town Alexandria, VA (there is a nice Holiday Inn there that has a shuttle to the metro). Just inside the DC line (in an area called Friendship Heights) there's an Embassy Suites in a building right above the metro, and this is another area with lots to do when you're done w/ tourist attractions. Staying in the city can be good or bad, block by block. Be sure to carefully check out any place you choose.

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 04:52 PM
kam

I have lived in D.C. and go there periodically on business. I would recommend from BWI that you take a bus or train--search for the BWI homepage-- to National airport and then a taxi to Arlington,VA. Stay at the Key Bridge Marriott (nice pool and walking distance to Georgetown for the kids) and you are on the Rosslyn Metro line with access to all of D.C. As the poster just above said, the District can change from block to block so check to make sure your areas is OK if you want to stay in D.C. P.S. I don't think you want to send your exchange student into the Georgetown nightlife by herself! She might enjoy walking around with you as a family during the day and perhaps having dinner there. She is---only 16??? Think some of the posters here think she's an au pair looking for more excitement. And, Metro is extremely safe.

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 08:11 AM
Candace

Last year I stayed at the Marriot Metro
Center and used the metro system the whole time it was safe and cheap. I didn't rent a car until I left the D.C. area. The Marriot Metro Center is expensive but I was placed there by Priceline for $50 a night. Priceline is great for hotels I always use it and select 3* hotels for a cheap price. You
only can select the area of the city,
rating and price and Priceline places you. the disadvantage is it can not be cancelled. I have used it for 12 hotel nights.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 11:26 AM
julie

Having travelled a great deal, my suggestion is to book one night in Baltimore (I don't know the best places, but we stayed at the Mariott--always a good bet) and then go into the city. Trains are exceptionally clean and safe, as is the inner core of the city. Stay out of the outlying areas, (ditto Baltimore) and you will be fine. The Mall, the Smithsonian, Air and Space musuem, national monuments, are all worth a week. Whereever you stay, try to get next to a METRO station. you can e-mail the Maariott for listings and availability of nice hotels. (p.s. We went to Denmark last summer, far north as Aalborg. Love your country.!!)_