Cruise to Alaska

Mar 28th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Cruise to Alaska

We are going on a cruise to Alaska in May, stops in Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau.
I need some info please:
- do we need to rent a car in Juneau ? From what I have heard the most interesting points are the Mendenhall Glacier and Mont Roberts. Do we need a car to get to these places ?
- I undertsnad that the best thing to do in Skagway is to rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake. Any other suggestions ?

- suggestions of what to do in Ketchikan ?

Thank you,

Carmen
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:01 PM

There is a bus you can take to the Mendenhall Glacier- you can buy tickets as you get off the cruise ship.

Skagway we did the railroad trip which I thought was scenic and interesting - and just walked around town in the afternoon.

Juneau we went whale watching - saw humpbacks "bubble feeding" it was amazing thing to watch.

It was a great trip- we mostly did trips we had purchased through cruise line- except for a few extra days we spent in Homer and we rented a car for that
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:00 AM

One thing to remember - if you book side trips thru the curise line and their is a problem they will hold the ship for you -- so if your car breaks down or??? you may miss the sailing.

I have been to Alaska 4 times and would go back at the drop of a hat -- I loved it -- every trip was a fantastic.

Skagway I would recommend the railroad trip -- it is worth while and you will see some of the mountains - etc. and also, walk around town -- one interesting place that a lot of people don't realize is the flower garden that is just north of the city -- easy walk.

In Juneau -- it is landlocked -- no roads coming in or going out -- I would recommend the helicopter ride and landing on a glacier -- and then hiking on the glacier -- it is costly but well worth the price and memory..

Have a great trip!
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:48 PM

Type Alaska cruise in the search box at the top of the page and you will find hundreds of threads on this.
Apr 9th, 2012, 08:14 AM
KVR

I agree with the other replies.

In Juneau we did the whale wataching and then Mendenhall Glaicer with the cruise line and then had lunch at the Red Dog Salloon.

In Skagway we did the train/bus combo with a dog sled ride. We booked through Chilchoot Charters. Afterward we went to the Red Onion Salloon.

In Ketchikan, we did the float plane to Misty Fjords with the cruise line and then walked around Creek Street.

If you are interested I have all our pictures posted at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn
Apr 9th, 2012, 10:37 AM

In Juneau, Mr. Roberts is right where the ships dock. Do not buy a ticket until you get there and see what the weather is like.
We decided to rent a car in Juneau. Got to Mendenhall before any of the buses and it was not crowded. Enjoyed the 49 mile drive-that is how far the road does go and driving across the bridge to Douglass and enjoying the view. Rent a Wreck will pick you up at the dock.

In Skagway, loved the train. It was about the same through the ship as independent. Others do rent a car or do a train up/van down trip through a vendor. We got to Skagway really early (our ship docked in Haines, we took the ferry to Skagway). We really enjoyed walking around and visiting with the locals (yes, there are a few) at the combo laundry mat/bar/store. None of the tourist shops were open-not missed at all.
Ketchican-the totem parks are here and can be reached by bus. Dolly's house on Creek Street is an easy walk from the cruise docks. Lots of float plane options if that is an interest. A Biggest Catch cruise also is an option in Ketichican.

You may also want to check cruisecritic.com-Boards-Ports-Alaska for more ideas.

Have a great trip.