Search

Cross Country Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross Country Trip

We had such wonderful advice from this Forum last year when we planned a trip to Italy. Thank you all for that.
My husband and I are planning a trip from Arizona to New Jersey, where we will be at a family wedding beginning of May 2009. We want to drive and see some sights on the way there and back. (We drive a Prius, so the gas bill won't be too, too bad!)
Our interests are more historical or nature venues, but not big cities necessarily. I already have booked a place in Williamsburg, VA for the 3 nights before we plan to arrive in NJ. I'm planning a 7 day drive to Williamsburg, which won't leave too very much time for sightseeing on the way. For the return trip we could do up to about 10 days.
I thought we might drive a more southern route going east and a more northerly coming back west.
Any tips will be appreciated and will give me something to work on. By the way, we are seniors, so don't need anything too very strenuous.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Sort of depends on how much interstate driving you want as opposed to 2-lane roads.
Don't kniow where in AZ you're starting, but from Phoenix here's 1 suggestion:
I-17 to Flagstaff and theen I-40 to Alberq. NM with a overnight in either Flagstaff for a short day, or Gallup, NM for another couple of hours on the road.
Then to Santa Fe for the night. North on I-25 to catch US 56 to Dodge City for the night.
Thence US 400 and 54 to Columbia. MO. Then out of St. Louis takr I-64 to Frankfort, KY.
Stay on 64 to White Springs, WVA. The next day into Willimsburg.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 05:05 PM

For your return...I haven't driven all of the 1st leg myslef, but done bits and pieces of it. From NJ cross the Deleware River and explore a bit of Bucks County, PA. Then south through Reading and Lancaseter. Maybe overnight in Gettysburg.
Next day bypass Pittsburgh, or go a bit more south to take I-70 through Wheeling, WVA and into the Ohio Amish country Urichville & Schoenbrunk. Catch US 30 in Wooster and overnight somewhere between Wooster and Lima.
Stay on 30 through Ft. Wayne, Warsaw and Plymouth. Then either swing south to bypass the southern part of the Chicago area get on 80 near the border and overnight in La Salle or nearby.
Now turn north. You'll have to pick between I-90 and I-94. I think 90 is a more intersting drive. Overnight in LaCorss of Souix Falls. Or get off the Interstate at Madison and reconnect in La Crosse.
Next day Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, and overnight in Rapid City.
From there visit Spearfish and maybe Devils Tower Nat. Mon. before overnighting in Sheridan, WY.
Then Take 90 to Billings, MT with a stop at Little Bighorn Battlefield near Harding, MT. Overnight in Livington.
Now drive through Yellowstone and Grand Teton Nat. Parks . Overnight in Idaho Falls.
For the fast way, stay on I-15 through Salt Lake City. Overnight in Provo, or make a longer day and drive as far as Cedar City.
Final leg via Las Vegas or not depending on where you are in AZ.
Wish I could make thetrip, but I have to go to GA and back from CA in just two weeks next June.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, Boom_boom. I will certainly use some of it. Plan to leave out the western states part of it. Since we live in Arizona we will make that another trip sometime.
We will be leaving and returning to Cottonwood (near Sedona). Nevertheless I had thought maybe we should do a really southern route like southern Texas, Lousiana, Mississippi, etc. That is a part of the country that I have never seen. Then we could return through Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc and take in some of the Amish country, etc.
Any suggestions of things "not to miss" on our routes?
Thanks again.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 07:59 PM

Be aware that it takes forever top drive across Texas on I-10. Did it once and never, never again. Only part of Texas that had any appeal is the Hill Country around Fredricksburg and into Austin.

In Mississippi, Oxford is worth a visit as is the little town of Clarksburg in the Delta region, good restaurant next to the Blues Museum.
It's been several years since I was in the Amish areas, but Lancaster, Intercourse and Bird In Hand were interesting.
There is a glass factory in Wheeling that gives tours.
If you swing south at bit, be sure to visit Springfield, IL and the new Lincoln musuem, etc.