Cross Country Train Trip

Search

Cross Country Train Trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross Country Train Trip

I was thinking of taking a train ride from Oregon to Maine this summer. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 11:42 PM

Great idea, but allow for twice the number of days that the schedule lists. You may need them, and not for voluntary stops en route - for those, allow even more time.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. What do you suggest to allot for spending on food? What are accomodations on the trains like? I've never been on a train before (being from Hawaii) so I need advice on traveling on them for sure.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 04:31 AM

I have often thought this would be a fun trip - but I suggest you do a lot of research first, both here and elsewhere - there have been a number of both positive and negative comments about the comfort of such a trip.

It is not as simple as getting on a train on one coast and getting off at the other - there would likely be multiple train changes, sometimes at inconvenient hours, with layovers, at creepy train stations.

I think it would make a big difference if you were planning on riding as directly as possible or making planned stops in several places to sightsee.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 06:26 AM

I have taken the train from San Francisco to Quebec and here's the advice (not quite the same)I give.

There *is* a train from Oregon to Chicago, the Empire Builder, that takes almost 2 days; I'd recommend a sleeper for that distance. You're due to arrive in Chicago at 4pm, with the ongoing train to New York City/Boston at 8pm. Given the length of the train journey, my advice is to book a hotel/stay with a friend in Chicago and enjoy that interesting city for 24 hours, so you're not stressed about making your connection.

The "Lakeshore Limited" train takes you from Chicago to Boston (splitting off to New York City in Albany); I'd go with a sleeper since it *is* close to a 24 hour journey. Leaving Chicago around 8pm, you're due to arrive in Boston the next day around 6:30pm. This should, under usual circumstances, give you enough time to catch the last "Downeaster" train at 11:00pm to Maine (stops are Wells, Saco, Old Orchard and Portland, ME). You may wish, for peace of mind, to spend the night instead in the magnificent city of Boston, catching a morning train to points Maine. Be aware that the train from Chicago arrives at a different train station in Boston (Boston South Station) than the Maine-bound train (Boston North).

I tremendously enjoyed my trip, as it opened my eyes to the beauty and diversity of this great continent (I want to do the Empire Builder now!) but I sleep very well on trains, have a stoic attitude about delays and always bring plenty of activity to occupy my mind. However, I do see even some of the best-intentioned passengers go a bit stir-crazy; cross-country train travel I definitely do not recommend for impatient type-A go-go-go personalities.

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 02:10 PM

If you book a sleeper on the train, your meals are included. It's quite an enjoyable trip if you are at all interested in how big and how varied the U.S. is.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Hi losttext,

If you have never traveled on a train, I would highly recommend trying out a shorter trip for the first time out! Maybe the coastal train that goes along the West Coast?

I used to ride the train between LA and Utah when I was a kid. OK. Then once I took the trip from SLC to Denver. It was supposed to be a 9 hour trip. It became the 16 hour trip from HELL.

Think carefully about this and get statistics on the "on time" arrival of your route!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 06:10 AM

I did an east coast to Oregon trip just a few years ago and loved it. But I did learn a few things I'll pass along.

A friend who trains a lot is now sold on getting a room. They're expensive, but come with meals, so that mitigates the expense somewhat.

I did the trip in coach, and had no problem. But then, I'm cheap!

I'm not one to run to the dining car at meal time, and not a meat eater, so I found the food situation a little rough. I would highly suggest taking snacks.

I took books, music, etc. all to keep me occupied, but didn't use one. I looked out the window at the ever-changing scenery, and that was more than enough to occupy me. The club car was my favorite place to hang out, chatting with other travelers, watching the scenery, or watching movies in the evening.

I'd agree with much of Daniel's advice upthread. I found the connections (I changed trains in NYC & Chicago) quite easy to make, but would have welcomed a longer lay-over to enjoy the cities.

Yes, trains can run late. But if you're pushing a schedule, you shouldn't travel by train. Sit back, enjoy the scenery, the lazy pace, and the experience.