Cross Country in Vail

Search

Cross Country in Vail

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross Country in Vail

I will be traveling to Vail in January and would like to try cross country skiing. Does anyone know of a good place to go? This is my first time in Vail.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 02:27 PM
MaureenB

It's been several years, but they used to open a Vail golf course for Nordic skiing. Maybe they still do. There might also be a Nordic center near Frisco, which wouldn't be too far from Vail to drive to. I think in general, Vail isn't known for cross-country terrain. Maybe Beaver Creek has some?
>-

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Maureen is right, Vail's cross country course is a golf course in Summer. There is a more interesting and varied cross country area in Frisco. Keystone also uses it's golf course for Cross country skiing now. It's a shame because the tracks are a lot less interesting. If you've got equipment, and don't mind laying your own tracks you can just head out into any back country. Just be sure you know where you are and your way back! And remember, the weather can change on a dime in the Rockies.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Yea, I have read that they still do the golf course track in Vail. This will be my first time cross country skiing. I am traveling with experienced downhill skiers and I'm not really a fan of downhill so I wanted to try xc instead. Even though the golf course might not be too scenic, it might be a good place to start learning. Thanks for your help
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 05:16 PM

i think this link will help you out: http://www.coloradocrosscountry.com/...1/Default.aspx
and this one : http://beavercreek.snow.com/info/winter/ss.nordic.asp
the vail ski school is outstanding. xc is not hard but do take a lesson so you can enjoy it more.
copper mtn is a bit closer than frisco and they have a trail.
if you go to minturn and turn south towards leadville you will come to camp hale which has a nice trial.
check out www.novaguides.com for dog sled and snowmobile tours.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much virginia! I was interested in dog sleds too!

Hey, can anyone also let me know what are some good restaraunts and shopping area's also? Is there something we should definatley see or do while we are here besides skiing?

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 06:57 PM

As others have posted, Vail's x-country trails are in the valley, along the freeway on a golf course. So are the trails at Copper Mountain. The Frisco Nordic Center is in a pine forest along the shores of Dillon Reservoir, and in my opinion beats both Copper and Vail, BUT......

the x-country trails at Beaver Creek (closer to Vail than either Copper or Frisco) are situated up on a mesa above the village of Beaver Creek and the Eagle River valley. You need to take a ski lift to reach the area and the views are gorgeous.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Are there lessons/rentals at Beaver Creek for this ?
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Oh wait, I think Virginia posted the ski school there. Thanks!