Crested Butte, Colorado

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2007, 10:48 AM
mrt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crested Butte, Colorado

Can you answer any ogf these questions:

1. Fastest route from Boulder to Crested Butte in summer.
2. What can you tell me about the Grand lodge, Crested Butte Hotel and Suites.
3. We are a family of 4 w/ two teenagers who like to hike a litle, ride bikes or horses and hang out. We loved Aspen and Park City, Utah; liked Vail and Telluride (not as much) and hated Estes Park General question will we like Crested Butte?
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 01:12 PM
MaureenB

Yes, you will like Crested Butte.
>-

Old Mar 10th, 2007, 01:42 PM

1. lucky for you the fastest route is also pretty much the only route. from boulder go south and get on I70 west to the copper mountain/leadville exit. take rte 91 south over climax pass, through leadville (highest incorporated city in the US and best mexican food in colo at 'the grill' on elm street) continue south through buena vista to salida. at salida go west on rte 50 over monarch pass to gunnison. at gunnison take rte 135 north to crested butte.
as an alternative at buena vista you can turn west and go over cottonwood pass through taylor park which drops you out in almont, almont half way up rte 135 to crested butte. most of this road is dirt, but not impassable w/out 4 wheel drive as i recall. i do not think it will be faster.
2. ??
3. each of the mountain towns are unique. i like the buttes. it is small and remote. hope you will too.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 05:02 PM

Will you like Crested Butte? Truthfully, I don't know. It is absolutely beautiful, but when we visted (day trip) in late summer it was dead. We hiked and walked through the town, but Crested Butte cannot be compared to Aspen, Vail or Telluride. I liked the town, but I'm not sure it is what you are looking for.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:46 AM

The Grand Lodge is one of the nicest places in Crested Butte. It is a two minute walk from the lifts. We stayed in a suite and everything was great. They have a nice pool inside/outside , hot tub and a huge fireplace in the lobby. Every time we came back from skiing they had hot apple cider and fresh chocolate chip cookies sitting out. The shuttle shop to downtown is right next to the Grand Lodge.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:08 AM
valeriesgallery

* I would have suggested the HWY 285 route, as that's the way all of us college kids would go.*although now there is a lot of development initially out of Denver along that route.

From I-70, take C-470 to the 285 west exit. We always stopped a big truck stop before turning left towards Salida. (91 south as written earlier)Then right on HWY 50 to Gunnison. (the other option of the taylor dam area, is fantastic, when not in a hurry)

The 285 route should take 4 hours, although there is so much temptation to stop and 'check it out'.

I wish you could see Crested Butte in December when it is full of snow, as I did for the first time. I remember driving up from the Gunnison area, the mountains surrounded us as we made our way up the road. It is just beautiful. I also remember a bright pink sunset on the return.
CB is a dinky village. Very cute main St. The area is great for biking and horseback riding, love horseback riding!
I love Telluride and Aspen, as they end at the road, Vail is interesting because you have several ways of exiting the town.
I understand why you didn't love EP. But RMNP is superb by bike.